Blue Jays Discussion: Report: Jays trade Lawrie, Nolin, Graveman & prospect Barreto to Oak for 3B Donaldson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Falls in line with his position on Melky. "Go find out what your value is and get back to us in a few weeks". I can see some positives and negatives. It does allow you to get jerked around less by agents though I suppose. I doubt this is the case 100% of the time though. Nobody is that patient.

I think this is the key point. The Jays have been used as pawns to drive up the price a lot in the past, so this allows them to see if the player actually has interest in coming here.
What's the obsession with Miller. Just another reliever who put together a good season.

Got burned already with Santos.

Really different cases. Miller was a former top starter prospect who has always had killer stuff. Just couldn't develop an effective third pitch or consistently hit his mechanics. The latter is better now, and the former doesn't matter in the bullpen. He fits the recent trend of guys with top-notch stuff who couldn't cut it as starters excelling in the bullpen (Zach Britton, Luke Hochevar, Wade Davis). I'd say there's less risk with Miller than with other relievers.

I'd also be interested in Luke Gregerson if Miller doesn't pan out.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
To go with the whole Bob McCown thing

I truly think that 5 year limit really hurts more than helps.

So you go 7 years on a guy and in year 6-7 he starts to fail but had great 1-5 years and justified the contract. IF they made the playoffs 3-4 years in that span you can certainly justify it.

That is life in baseball you simply can't stop trying to add and win because you are worried about 7 years down the road and the what ifs

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
There are good reliever options out there and maybe Delabar bounces back, who knows?

A power lefty from the pen is a rare thing. I can think of Chapman and Venters as probably the top lefty power arms from the pen in the bigs.

Rafael Soriano is an intriguing option as well. Instead of McGowan, why not Soriano?

Rodriguez
Miller
Soriano
Loup
Cecil
Jenkins
Redmond

non-tender Estrada.

Jenkins can do what Estrada does for less monies.

The Yankees closer soriano? If that's who your talking about I believe he turned down a qualifying offer so he's looking for huge money and will cost a pick. Not interested in losing a pick for a pen arm

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think this is the key point. The Jays have been used as pawns to drive up the price a lot in the past, so this allows them to see if the player actually has interest in coming here.

Really different cases. Miller was a former top starter prospect who has always had killer stuff. Just couldn't develop an effective third pitch or consistently hit his mechanics. The latter is better now, and the former doesn't matter in the bullpen. He fits the recent trend of guys with top-notch stuff who couldn't cut it as starters excelling in the bullpen (Zach Britton, Luke Hochevar, Wade Davis). I'd say there's less risk with Miller than with other relievers.

I'd also be interested in Luke Gregerson if Miller doesn't pan out.

I remember a week or two back we were connected to both miller and gregerson. I think their waiting out soriano to help determine their market

Jaysfanatic*

The Yankees closer soriano? If that's who your talking about I believe he turned down a qualifying offer so he's looking for huge money and will cost a pick. Not interested in losing a pick for a pen arm

I don't think you lose multiple picks under the new system, do you?

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Rafael Soriano former Yanks closer that pitches for the Nats last year.

You're thinking of David Robertson

Jaysfanatic*

Uh, yeah. This too. I've always liked Rafael, other than his stupid sideways hat.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
What's the obsession with Miller. Just another reliever who put together a good season.

Got burned already with Santos.

Ya, I just looked at his numbers. 2/3 good years with not many innings pitched. Before that not very good.

Maybe he has figured things out. closer? just hope it wouldn't turn into BJ Ryan :laugh:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently the nationals are open to trading Zimmerman and or fister. Interesting. I believe both are free agents at the end of the year

Jaysfanatic*

Apparently the nationals are open to trading Zimmerman and or fister. Interesting. I believe both are free agents at the end of the year

Anthopolous may go for Fister. He was pretty peeved he didn't get a chance at him with Detroit. Remember how he said he wasn't even given an opportunity to discuss Fister?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah sorry that's who I was thinking of. On my phone so couldn't check ahead of posting. So insert his name in my previous posts lol

Jaysfanatic*

He does? I thought Fernando Rodney was the only one with that dumb sideways hat.

Getting my Rays closers all mixed up :'(

How does Melky not look at this team now with Martin and say **** it, Melky stay here. Melky love Toronto.

(I always picture the man talking like a caveman, he looks like one)

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Anthopolous may go for Fister. He was pretty peeved he didn't get a chance at him with Detroit. Remember how he said he wasn't even given an opportunity to discuss Fister?

He would be the cheaper option of the two I'm sure and has al experience which is very good

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

This would be interesting. Fister would cost less since he only has one year left.

Jaysfanatic*

He would be the cheaper option of the two I'm sure and has al experience which is very good

Wonder what kind of deal? Happ, Navarro and one of the pitching prospects like Nolin, or Norris?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If Jon Lester wants 7 years, you give Jon Lester 7 years.

I'd rather give Lester maybe a year too many than breaking the bank open for Sandoval.

Jaysfanatic*

Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
Russ Martin on whether AA touched on his Canadian roots: “Of course he did. He touched on every angle." #BlueJays

Uh, maybe I don't need to be privy to EVERYTHING that happened during negotiations :/

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad