Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Jakob Silfverberg extends with the Ducks (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

Jun 15, 2007
It's not that bad guys.

I feel like every single year people complain player X's new contract is way too much. The cap rises and this is what happens.

This deal will look fine 3 years down the line.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This is the reason why bad teams stay bad and good teams, like the Sharks, stay good.

Overpaying for marginal talent gets you nowhere.

Nice shot but isnt this year the first year the Ducks are really that much worse than the Sharks?

Reactions: Masch78

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think its definitely at the high end for what he is as a player but it seems me and Murray disagree that's its a good deal for the Ducks at this time.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Two closest cap hit comparables this summer: Neal 5.75 mil, Tom Wilson 5.16 mil (not even UFA). You can think this is a bad deal but well, sadly to all of you thinking that, he was never going to sign a "good" one.

The only argument is maybe it shouldn't have been the Ducks who offered him that but hey, if Ducks will continue to be bad it's definitely not because they signed this deal.

Josh Bailey 6 year 30 mill. 5mill avg
Good defensive forward . Big rise in points the Last 3 seasons. A little more of a comparable player than Wilson and Neal

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Silfverberg is more middle six than bottom 6. It might be a little overpayment (will have to see final AAV) but as the cap rises, it'll be fine.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Love Silfverberg. I've said previously this week that he would be the best add in a team in playoff circumstances.... but that is a lot of money for a long time. Love the player, not the contract.

Sep 18, 2009
Love Silfverberg. I've said previously this week that he would be the best add in a team in playoff circumstances.... but that is a lot of money for a long time. Love the player, not the contract.
I love the contract, not the player.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Josh Bailey 6 year 30 mill. 5mill avg
Good defensive forward . Big rise in points the Last 3 seasons. A little more of a comparable player than Wilson and Neal
More term, takes him to age 35 and sure, Bailey did take a hometown discount. The discussion was what players would get in the open market and Bailey definitely is an outlier. And even then, Bailey's contract will only be better if he doesn't slow down with age. Silfverberg's age/term, on the other hand, has almost no risk involved.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
as a ducks fan i don't like this at all

not sure how he fits in with the ducks future plans but i have a feeling they'll regret this contract a few years down the line

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Do you two often find yourselves at odds with one another?

Often? No just once really but it was quite heated, they believe that Silveberg is worth a 1st because he's their goal scorer and my response to that is 2 fold.

1 Silveberg couldn't get a 1st in a market that has, Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Dizingel, Hoffman, Hayes, Zuccerllo, Nyquvst, Simmonds, Ferland etc on it.

2 is Andreas Johnsson worth a 1st because he'd be rhe ducks top goal scorer and I doubt anybody thinks he's worth a 1st

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
All the trade rumours evolving him didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Bobby Ryan, on the other hand... why the hell aren't there any rumours involving him!?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Its fair deal, silf is a good hockey player.... and the type of player you want in big games.

The question is more on the direction of the team

Reactions: duxfan1101

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is atrocious. It’s as bad as Bieksa. Murray should have thrown a NMC while he’s at it.

He probably has (or at least some sort of NTC). But it's not nearly as bad as you're suggesting it us. Silfverberg at 5x5.25m while expensive isn't a bad contract. The guy is a legitimate 2nd line winger who's known for his very very good defensive game, while still being capable of putting up 40/50 points, with a high percentage of those coming at ES.

And if Anaheim wasn't willing to offer this, there would have been multiple other GMs who would have happily offered this deal to him as a UFA.

Reactions: JBeast and Masch78

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
As ducks fans, we expected a first or a prospect and another pick in a trade....for a playoff rental.
Now we aren’t happy we have him at a cost that could likely be less than he would have gotten as an UFA.
I personally want us to retool, and felt he was a good piece to move to look towards the future, but he’s not going to be that old for a smart player that plays well in all areas of the ice.

I have no idea what we do now. I’d be surprised if we traded Henrique given he just signed and his deal starts next year. We don’t seem like a team that does that very often. Maybe a defenseman and a surplus winger for you f pieces or picks?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He probably has (or at least some sort of NTC). But it's not nearly as bad as you're suggesting it us. Silfverberg at 5x5.25m while expensive isn't a bad contract. The guy is a legitimate 2nd line winger who's known for his very very good defensive game, while still being capable of putting up 40/50 points, with a high percentage of those coming at ES.

And if Anaheim wasn't willing to offer this, there would have been multiple other GMs who would have happily offered this deal to him as a UFA.
and another team should have. I would have no issue with this deal if we were looking like team capable of 2 or 3 more serious cup runs. but we'll be lucky to get one more in next season before Getz really starts to fall off. And I don't see any of our prospects making a large enough impact to replace Getzlaf. Not to mention the ridiculous log jam at wing we have now and will in the future. This is just another example of Murray being to cautious to actually change this core since he thinks it can still win, but it just can't.

Reactions: AngelDuck

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
This is the reason why bad teams stay bad and good teams, like the Sharks, stay good.

Overpaying for marginal talent gets you nowhere.
Neutral fan but you and I both know that in a few years the Sharks are going to be in the sewer standings wise with not much to look forward too.

Reactions: McDonald19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad