Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Jakob Silfverberg extends with the Ducks (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yeah I am not sure I really get this. I mean I could see Kesler LTIRetiring but man the Ducks are struggling and without a ton of cap, you cannot keep trying to keep the band together when it is going this poorly in my opinion.
except that's exactly what Murray is trying to do. He just can't accept that the team he put together isn't good enough and will constantly say there must be changes, but never actually do it.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
except that's exactly what Murray is trying to do. He just can't accept that the team he put together isn't good enough and will constantly say there must be changes, but never actually do it.

Yeah. It’s going to take Henry firing Bob to get a true rebuild. Bob isn’t go to be able to fire another coach.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
If its 5.25m or less, the value of the contract seems about right given the strength of his defensive game and considering that he played most of his career with the ducks on a shutdown line with linemates that lacked much offensive upside (Kesler/Cogliano).

The problem is that the Ducks don't look to be contenders for another 2 years or so which means he's 31 and likely starting to decline. His game isn't overly physical as he usually uses strong positioning and stick use to make his defensive plays so hopefully he shouldn't decline too badly.

My guess is that GMBM is inking him to be a veteran presence to mentor the young kids and insulate them from defensive minutes/matchups. Here's to hoping that contract is no higher than 5.25m AAV. If its higher...oof.

Reactions: Deuce22

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That seems like too much term and money....
Well, given that he was a upcoming ufa, the ducks did righty by not going longer. He’s 28 now with a October birthday. He’ll be 33.5 when the deal finishes. Sometimes this ufa signings you got to go age 36 on a 6-7 year term.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
James Neal just got 5 x 5,75 being way older and having same-ish offensive production. The hell are you guys smoking with those "4 mil" player remarks? Not everyone is going to take some massive home-town discount. You may not agree with Anaheim doing this in current shape but acting like this is somehow below market price.. Get f***ing real and it's not 2010 anymore.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
What the hell are "tagging issues"? I am usually fairly on top of this stuff, but I haven't heard that term in the context of the article.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I hope its true. I would love it if one of our conference rivals overpaid a bottom 6 plug at the tune of 5 million plus per season.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
That seems like too much term and money....

Yah Murray loses this one. He should be fired after end of season. He gives out contracts like its candy on Halloween.

Positive side? Murray gets fired for being bottom dwelling. Ducks get Hughes.

Ducks are on the upswing.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I hope its true. I would love it if one of our conference rivals overpaid a bottom 6 plug at the tune of 5 million plus per season.

What do you mean conference rivals? Ducks haven’t been relevant for years. That’s like us and Kings. No one gives a damn we both suck. I wouldn’t call it a rival when the other team sucks.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
James Neal just got 5 x 5,75 being way older and having same-ish offensive production. The hell are you guys smoking with those "4 mil" player remarks? Not everyone is going to take some massive home-town discount. You may not agree with Anaheim doing this in current shape but acting like this is somehow below market price.. Get ****ing real and it's not 2010 anymore.

That was a bad deal too. You can see how that's working out for Calgary.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Murray should have been fired before a signing like this

Yah that’s just what he does. That contract is atrocious. Just like his dumb ass Bieksa contract.

Murray needs to be fired at end of season. This is stupidity.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
What the hell are "tagging issues"? I am usually fairly on top of this stuff, but I haven't heard that term in the context of the article.

My basic understanding (could be wrong or incomplete) is that a team can't have a higher cap hit for the next season then the current cap. Ie, cap is 80 million but the team already has 81 million committed for the next year.

Reactions: Schenn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad