Rendez-Vous Lebreton Bid Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The only way the team will move is if Melnyk picks it up himself and stays as owner through the move.

Will a city help him do it? I think he would like to do it just out of pettiness at this point. He's not a stable human being.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Why not? Many teams have moved over the years. Why are the sens protected?
Nope, definitely not protected whatsoever...
If Melnyk ownership is all Ottawa can get I hope they relocate tomorrow, there is:
- no team left
- no hope to keep good players
and with todays news any hope for a better future.

Good luck in Houston and I hope EM does not get another liver.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
The NHL really needs to decide if it wants to be here.

Agreed. The market is so fragile right now. There are examples across all major sports of circumstances of this magnitude going either way. But well said: if this isn’t a league issue yet it should be now. This is going to be revenue impacting for the league with what’s happening that the team either needs to relocate or intervention. I just don’t know what mechanisms Bettman has.

Dzingelberry

Dec 10, 2017
Bettman doesn't like moving teams until every single option is gone through. Which isn't the case here.
We certainly know that's the case with U.S. based teams. Would the league prop up a small market Canadian team for several years? Let's hope so!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
0zCNQvn.jpg
This is a perfect response.

Reactions: SenatorsHockey

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Agreed. The market is so fragile right now. There are examples across all major sports of circumstances of this magnitude going either way. But well said: if this isn’t a league issue yet it should be now. This is going to be revenue impacting for the league with what’s happening that the team either needs to relocate or intervention. I just don’t know what mechanisms Bettman has.

After Melnyk is bankrupt and can’t find any buyers, then we will discuss a move. Poor management is not an excuse to move a team.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I was actually trying to predict what Bruce was going to say based on what he was saying about all the UFAs, but OK. :)

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
After Melnyk is bankrupt and can’t find any buyers, then we will discuss a move. Poor management is not an excuse to move a team.

If he cut costs enough he wont lose money. If the value of nhl teams keep skyrocketing he won't sell. Its a big poop sandwich.

Reactions: Silvernon

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
Why? They had another bid that could be slightly tweaked by that developer to suit the NCC's liking a bit more and away you go. Going back to the drawing board just doesn't make sense unless the Devcore bid was such a rancid pile of **** to the NCC that they don't even view it as an option.
exactly...these bids take millions just to prepare...

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Why? They had another bid that could be slightly tweaked by that developer to suit the NCC's liking a bit more and away you go. Going back to the drawing board just doesn't make sense unless the Devcore bid was such a rancid pile of **** to the NCC that they don't even view it as an option.
The NCC will take the path of least lawsuits.

Re-opening the RFP is a guaranteed lawsuit from Devcore
Just taking Devcore is a number of potential lawsuits from other interested developers, including possibly Ruddy and Trinity.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa

I don’t disagree with you - and I think relocation isn’t going to happen - but until someone can get shovels in the ground at Lebreton, you can’t assume the league waits forever. I don’t think the team is moving, to be clear. Daly already states a while ago that Ottawa needs a downtown arena, so poor ownership or not, it’s a necessity. There are many roads leading, splitting in some cases, that end in one-of-two destinations.

They’ll keep the team here if there are options, but what are the mechanisms to force Melnyk’s hand? Seriously, I don’t know. If they can, will they? If someone is ready and more economically attractive than Ottawa, is the path of least resistance keeping the team here? I think it’ll stay and sort itself out, I’m just not banking on anything either way anymore.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Melnyk isn't selling guys. He wants to own the team. It will never happen. Let the dream go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad