Reminiscing...great games and the "Oil Rigger" Jersey

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
First...
I want to ask knowledgable Oiler fans from the 90s. I was extremely young at the time so my memory is not that great. I remember watching Cujos first game as an Oiler but i can not remember if my memories are being muddled by other memories that happened in games around the same time (maybe a bunch of games in that first week of Cujos Oiler era being shuffled up). Here is what i remember;

Not even ten minutes in to the game...he was having ovations and being serenaded by the crowd for great saves. Chants of CUJO at deafening levels. I think the game was very close...and when the go-ahead goal, or perhaps insurance marker, was scored...the sskater who scored looked straight down the ice to CUJO. CUJO had been celebrating with his stick in the air around the hash marks. The skater (i think it was Doug Weight) started pointing to CUjo and skating hard the length of the ice. Cujo then started skating towards centre. They met around centre and celebrated. Its something that was completely unusual to happen, a goalie skating halfway down the ice to a goal scorer and vice versa, but made the crowd go insane. Considering CUJO stood on his head during parts of the game...everyone watching the game went nuts and felt the same way as the players on the ice.

I might be combining two different games in my head? but i am fairly certain it was all in one game, cujos first game as an oiler on home ice...versus Buffalo??? I was extremely young but the game was pretty hard to forget. It also marked the moment of my Oiler fandom of realizing we had just turned a corner. I keep thinking i must have been to young at the time to realize this fact...but yet i recall the goosebumps and pride and knowing SOMETHING had changed permanently to our team for the better. I knew we had taken a big step and we were going up. (imagine if we could have kept guys like Richardson at his peak etc that ran away for UFA pay days). Bill Ranford had been great (even at the end) but there was a palpable feeling that THAT NIGHT the team had added significant improvement to their goaltending but ALSO to their confidence that they had a goalie who could steal goals and back them up.

Just wondering if anyone else remembers these moments.
Lets reminisce

--------------------------------

Finally...i wish the oilers would use the throw backs as a 3rd jersey. I want a team that has the identity of the Rigger jersey Oilers. Never quit, take hits to make plays, team above all, and compete compete compete. Id love to see that rigger jersey used...the true copper and blue.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The Oilers won Cujo's first game 5-4 in OT against Buffalo and Doug Weight scored the winner.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19950561

Wow, thanks Del. I guess i was pretty accurate with my memory. I really wish that game was in the Oilers top ten games. I think it deserves to be there because, as i noted, it was a game where the franchise turned a corner--and you could see it in their eyes through the game.

That team had so much passion (led by guys like Buchy and more so Weight, who always seemed to be emotionally charged during games)

I was also thinking it was likely an OT winner and the goal scorers (Weights) euphoric race to CUjo made alot more sense knowing it was a sudden death game winner.

Do you remember the game?

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If this is the game I'm thinking of this was the Oilers 8th or 9th consecutive road win either tying or setting a club record. I'm not sure if this is the game you're talking about though as I didn't realize that was Cujo's first game. Didn't see this on TV but I remember listening to Rod Phillips call on the radio in the car. Back in the days when you not only didn't mind listening to the radio call but actually enjoyed it.:)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Wow, thanks Del. I guess i was pretty accurate with my memory. I really wish that game was in the Oilers top ten games. I think it deserves to be there because, as i noted, it was a game where the franchise turned a corner--and you could see it in their eyes through the game.

That team had so much passion (led by guys like Buchy and more so Weight, who always seemed to be emotionally charged during games)

I was also thinking it was likely an OT winner and the goal scorers (Weights) euphoric race to CUjo made alot more sense knowing it was a sudden death game winner.

Do you remember the game?
I don't, but I remember a couple years back someone posting about Doug Weight scoring an OT winner at home vs Buffalo. I didn't know that was Cujo's first game until I read your post and looked it up.

If this is the game I'm thinking of this was the Oilers 8th or 9th consecutive road win either tying or setting a club record. I'm not sure if this is the game you're talking about though as I didn't realize that was Cujo's first game. Didn't see this on TV but I remember listening to Rod Phillips call on the radio in the car. Back in the days when you not only didn't mind listening to the radio call but actually enjoyed it.:)
Different game. Cujo's first game was in January 1996 and it was at home. I think I know which game you are talking about though, it's from 2001. The Oilers set a team record with nine straight wins and the final one came in OT on the road against Tampa. I remember it wasn't on TV so I relied on watching the ticker for updates and listening to CHED.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H20001040

Great site for old box scores (scroll to the bottom): http://hsp.flyershistory.com/

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I don't, but I remember a couple years back someone posting about Doug Weight scoring an OT winner at home vs Buffalo. I didn't know that was Cujo's first game until I read your post and looked it up.

Different game. Cujo's first game was in January 1996 and it was at home. I think I know which game you are talking about though, it's from 2001. The Oilers set a team record with nine straight wins and the final one came in OT on the road against Tampa. I remember it wasn't on TV so I relied on watching the ticker for updates and listening to CHED.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H20001040

Great site for old box scores (scroll to the bottom): http://hsp.flyershistory.com/

I'd love to crib the Oilers box scores from that site and build an ultimate Oilers fan site someday. Would be so cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad