GDT: Remembrance Day 11/10 Bruins vs. NJ Devils 7pm ET NESN, 98.5

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Absolutely sick goal by Griffith :amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

And a win is a win is a win. Quit complaining about how easy the schedule is- considering the injuries this team has suffered the wins aren't easy at all.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Exactly why they should move Soderberg to the first line if Krejci isn't ready next game.

Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Fraser-Kelly-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Gagne

Why haven't they tried this yet?

Cause they are winning. That 3rd line would be atrocious. Can't wait to see how Griffith does with a healthy Krejci. Griffith's confidence is just rising. Might not need Stewart after all. 5 wins when everybody expected **** to hit the fan is nice :yo:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Absolutely sick goal by Griffith :amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

And a win is a win is a win. Quit complaining about how easy the schedule is- considering the injuries this team has suffered the wins aren't easy at all.

Guess there has to be something to complain about. :laugh:

People had to know that with the injuries and callups, it wasn't going to be pretty. Play who's on the schedule, grind out the wins and bank the points. You don't get extra credit for style or strength of schedule.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
But Soderberg also gets more even strength time. In no way is Lucic, Kelly, Griffith our first line. They don't play the most. They don't start games. They don't finish games. When Krejci's there it's a different story.

With Kelly it isn't too much better than an average 3rd line. Drop him to the 4th line and bring up a prospect like Koko to play with Lucic when Krejci can't play.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
3 weeks ago people were talking about us missing the playoffs. Anyone complaining that we're racking up the points (and thus ensuring a playoff spot) need to re-evaluate why they even bother to follow this team.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I've not really read the GDT, rather skimming more of the post-game comments, so forgive me if I'm not understanding the context....

....but why do we care which line is identified as the "first line?"

In a team that has for a few seasons now identified itself as a 1a, 1b and 1c type of team.....pardon my *condescending* nature....but who gives a ****?

Sometimes sheer opponent matchups determine which line, even which player sees more ice time. CJ even played with his lines a bit last night, so that can skew things.

I mean....who cares? This team is different than other teams that way. I don't get it.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
3 weeks ago people were talking about us missing the playoffs. Anyone complaining that we're racking up the points (and thus ensuring a playoff spot) need to re-evaluate why they even bother to follow this team.

Because the two points earned when you play sub-par opponents go into a factoring machine at the NHL offices in NYC that...when it's all said and done, actually comes out to 1.46 points.

Little-known secret. Something else Shanny instituted while he was the Player Safety Czar but no one knows about. :sarcasm:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I've not really read the GDT, rather skimming more of the post-game comments, so forgive me if I'm not understanding the context....

In a team that has for a few seasons now identified itself as a 1a, 1b and 1c type of team.....pardon my *condescending* nature....but who gives a ****?

Sometimes sheer opponent matchups determine which line, even which player sees more ice time. CJ even played with his lines a bit last night, so that can skew things.

I mean....who cares? This team is different than other teams that way. I don't get it.

In my mind it only matters for the odd man out, such as Lucic in this case, being 'demoted' to play with Kelly after playing so well for a while. Otherwise, no it doesn't matter since they all play about the same, especially the top 3 centers.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Because the two points earned when you play sub-par opponents go into a factoring machine at the NHL offices in NYC that...when it's all said and done, actually comes out to 1.46 points.

Little-known secret. Something else Shanny instituted while he was the Player Safety Czar but no one knows about. :sarcasm:

This is interesting news. Just curious,how did you find out about it and can you show more stats from this method of analysis?.

member 96824

TOI on the year looks like:

Krejci 18:25
Bergeron: 17:05
Soderberg: 16:06
Campbell: 11:57

Even strength is pretty similar. Krejci getting a minute more, Bergeron and Carl about tied.

I wonder if Claude wants to roll with Krejci being #1 and then Carl and Bergeron's line being interchangable for matchups.

Only reason I care is because I think the B's have the best opportunity to win when the best players are getting appropriate ice time.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
This is interesting news. Just curious,how did you find out about it and can you show more stats from this method of analysis?.

I have *sources* in the league offices.

and by sources, I mean the little hockey players that come visit me at night in my dreams wearing beer helmets and resemble the Grateful Dead bears.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
TOI on the year looks like:

Krejci 18:25
Bergeron: 17:05
Soderberg: 16:06
Campbell: 11:57

Even strength is pretty similar. Krejci getting a minute more, Bergeron and Carl about tied.

I wonder if Claude wants to roll with Krejci being #1 and then Carl and Bergeron's line being interchangable for matchups.

Only reason I care is because I think the B's have the best opportunity to win when the best players are getting appropriate ice time.

No, that makes sense and is perfectly reasonable. Everyone wants that.

I just more wonder what the fascination is with the labeling of a first line.

I have a sneaking suspicion (and this is not based on the same sources that told me about Shanny's secret point-factoring system but just a hunch) that Krejci's hip thing might be a nagging persistent thing. Nothing that would sideline him for a few weeks at a time, but something that might require some regular season rest management...so the debate I'm sure will come up.

It's got to have something to do with the Swedes being pretty compatible and CJ not wanting to break that duo up by having Carl moved up to the first line with Lucic and Griffith.

I suppose I would be on board with trying, while Krejci's out:

Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Kelly-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Gagne

I read people have an aversion to that third and that it's scary, but Griffith hasn't looked awful on Kelly's wing while they're skating on the first together, and I think Kelly's ability to contain the middle physically might help open Fraser up and get space that he otherwise doesn't achieve with his skate speed.

Who knows. I don't particular do the lines thing myself. I think so many factors go into determining these combos/pairings that we're not all that privy to and I'm just not that good at playing GM (as my fantasy hockey teams might indicate).

I do need to see Eriksson against other first-line defensive combinations in the league for at least a few games. Whether that be with Soderberg as his center or Krejci doesn't exactly matter. I know what he does in OUR system. I want to see what he looks like against the opposition I frankly expected him to see.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I have *sources* in the league offices.

and by sources, I mean the little hockey players that come visit me at night in my dreams wearing beer helmets and resemble the Grateful Dead bears.

:laugh:That's what I was afraid of.:p:
Really though it's interesting and a whole new subject for the 40,000 or so GM's we have here.:amazed:

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass

I think it was Haggs (unfortunately) who started the year by calling the line Lucic was on the third line and Bergeron and Soderberg 1 and 2.

Who is to say that Kelly is centering the first line or if Lucic is winging the third?

member 96824

I have a sneaking suspicion (and this is not based on the same sources that told me about Shanny's secret point-factoring system but just a hunch) that Krejci's hip thing might be a nagging persistent thing. Nothing that would sideline him for a few weeks at a time, but something that might require some regular season rest management...so the debate I'm sure will come up.

It's got to have something to do with the Swedes being pretty compatible and CJ not wanting to break that duo up by having Carl moved up to the first line with Lucic and Griffith.

Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Kelly-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Gagne

I read people have an aversion to that third and that it's scary, but Griffith hasn't looked awful on Kelly's wing while they're skating on the first together, and I think Kelly's ability to contain the middle physically might help open Fraser up and get space that he otherwise doesn't achieve with his skate speed.

Who knows. I don't particular do the lines thing myself. I think so many factors go into determining these combos/pairings that we're not all that privy to and I'm just not that good at playing GM (as my fantasy hockey teams might indicate).

I do need to see Eriksson against other first-line defensive combinations in the league for at least a few games. Whether that be with Soderberg as his center or Krejci doesn't exactly matter. I know what he does in OUR system. I want to see what he looks like against the opposition I frankly expected him to see.

Agree with all of this Matt, great post. I think with a fully healthy line, the Krejci is without a doubt the first line...but as it stands right now, it's just about which can handle the matchups and meshes well together. Just gotta get through this stretch no matter how ugly it looks.

I also agree we need to see Loui against some first pair competition. It's what he was brought here to do, and given cap situations and expectations...it's hard to make a true evaluation on Loui without seeing him in that role.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
"
Originally Posted by Son of Marshmont View Post

Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Kelly-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Gagne "

It would certainly be interesting to see what our new wonder-boy can do with
the less offensive minded Kelly and the (also) young, but slow Fraser.
IMO it'll either make break his rookie year. I'm leaning towards "make." He seems to
be the real deal with his speed, IQ, and tenacity.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I think it was Haggs (unfortunately) who started the year by calling the line Lucic was on the third line and Bergeron and Soderberg 1 and 2.

Who is to say that Kelly is centering the first line or if Lucic is winging the third?

Yeah, that explains EVERYTHING. :laugh:

When I see Porkchop retweeted on my twitter timeline I actually have a physical reaction akin to ones I have Saturday mornings after closing Murphy's Law the night before.

Frankly, line-labeling changes in every on-ice situation, responding to every opponent change and matchup, and that's not even unique to Boston. I'm sure whatever line Trotz rolls out in Washington that's got Ovi on it when they want to score is a "first line" in that scenario, but it's sure not their "first line" when they want a unit out there to preserve a lead with 3 to go in the game.

Line labeling is for us dorks who make game day threads.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Kelly-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Gagne

FWIW: Coach says you're wrong. :p::laugh:
Boston Bruins‏@NHLBruins
Coach said Krejci is still day-to-day; regarding his undisclosed injury, "I can say that the speculations that are out there are wrong" ^JI

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
FWIW: Coach says you're wrong. :p::laugh:
Boston Bruins‏@NHLBruins
Coach said Krejci is still day-to-day; regarding his undisclosed injury, "I can say that the speculations that are out there are wrong" ^JI

Whatever. I can outcoach Claude everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. :laugh:

As far as my speculation, I'm totally okay with being wrong. I hope I am. As long as I'm only slightly less wrong than Haggerty, then I'm having a good day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad