Remembering the Plymouth Whalers and Belleville Bulls -- Final Games

Westside

Dec 31, 2012
Thanks a lot Mr Branch. Aid in selling a viable team so that it can be moved only to have a another team file for bankruptcy just a few weeks later. What a dumba$$. Moved the wrong team. Mismanagement at it's best.
Even before he moved my team, I always wondered how this guy managed to keep his job. Take heed all fans in all small markets...your turn is coming.

After Hamilton hosts the 100 year anniversary of the Memorial in the 17000 seat First Canada Center Dave Branch will quickly loose interest. That is the reason he wanted a team there and why the move happened so quickly. I have been an OHL fan for over 30 years, but after this underhanded deal I personally will never set foot in an OHL arena or watch any CHL game again. I realize this will be of no consequence to the league or Mr. Branch but it will make me feel better!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We received information regarding season tickets for the USNDTP today from Char, the former Whalers box office manager who was retained by USA Hockey to run the arena's box office. Center ice seating for 36 games (includes both the U18 and U17 teams) is $325, and includes VIP parking. They are also continuing the "no ticket gets unused" program. So, this is basically $100 less per season ticket compared with what we paid for the Whalers.

I think my wife and I will be getting tickets for the inaugural season. I just need to make sure most of the games will be Saturday and Friday evenings, similar to the Whalers. It's $200 less than what we were paying, so it's an easy decision for us to give the program a try for a season and see how we like the hockey.

The letter also mentions that the arena will undergo a build out and renovations over the next few years, and that CJ's, the summer drive in theater, and the pro shop will all be continuing.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Just as a follow-up, I did speak with Char regarding the USNDTP, and the schedule will be similar to the Whalers old schedule, meaning mostly Saturday and Friday evenings, with maybe a couple more Sunday afternoon games than Plymouth played. They will also be offering mini-packages, but have not determined pricing for those packages yet.

I went ahead and signed up for our same seats for the first season. Hopefully the teams will draw decent crowds.

BTW, it is strange still hearing Pete Krupsky's voice on the arena's phone system menu, but instead saying "Welcome to USA Hockey Arena".

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Thanks for the info Whalersfan. I'm still on the fence about whether to go to any games next year.

My biggest concern is how we will perceive the level of play after being used to the OHL for so many years. But the organization is doing the right things to attract former Whalers fans by offering a very attractively priced season ticket package along with all the benefits that we enjoyed with the Whalers. My wife and I are so used to going to dinner and a hockey game on Saturday nights in the winter that I wanted to give the new team a chance. It will be interesting to see the size of crowds they are able to draw.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
My biggest concern is how we will perceive the level of play after being used to the OHL for so many years. But the organization is doing the right things to attract former Whalers fans by offering a very attractively priced season ticket package along with all the benefits that we enjoyed with the Whalers. My wife and I are so used to going to dinner and a hockey game on Saturday nights in the winter that I wanted to give the new team a chance. It will be interesting to see the size of crowds they are able to draw.

I think you'll like watching these guys a lot. Connor Chatham said in an interview last year that making the jump from the USHL to the OHL wasn't as big as he thought. He said the level of play was very close. But I understand your point, nothing better than an OHL game on a Friday/Sat night. I just hope a lot of fans have the same mentality as you do Whaler Fan, and give it a try.

This year I really wanted to get a look at Auston Mathews so my dad and I went to watch the U-18 team play the Youngstown Phantoms in Youngstown. It was my first NTDP/USHL game and we both walked out of the arena thinking to ourselves "I really didn't notice much of a difference between the pace of play from that game and any random OHL game." Next year I think you will really enjoy watching Clayton Keller, Max Jones(brother of Mitch, and a way better player), and Chad Krys who by a lot of scouts say he might be the best skater in the 1998 birth year.

DrummondIsGod

Mar 16, 2011

It is real good hockey. The NTDP teams are full of high end players. Can't say the same for OHL teams. You will enjoy the talent level, eventhough the players are young, all 16 and 17, so they haven't physically matured like some OHL players. You will see a bunch of NHL 1st round picks every year. Lots of talented players in the USHL as well, and if you follow the NCAA you will see a lot of future top 6 forwards and top 4 D for those schools. Honestly I will miss the Ann Arbor Ice Cube though, it was a good place to watch a game. You will enjoy watching Clayton Keller - he is a treat to watch.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
It is real good hockey. The NTDP teams are full of high end players. Can't say the same for OHL teams. You will enjoy the talent level, eventhough the players are young, all 16 and 17, so they haven't physically matured like some OHL players. You will see a bunch of NHL 1st round picks every year. Lots of talented players in the USHL as well, and if you follow the NCAA you will see a lot of future top 6 forwards and top 4 D for those schools. Honestly I will miss the Ann Arbor Ice Cube though, it was a good place to watch a game. You will enjoy watching Clayton Keller - he is a treat to watch.

I'll be excited to watch David Farrance next year with the U-17 group. If he wasn't leaning towards the NTDP he could have been a top 5-10 pick in the OHL Priority Selection. Guelph ended up taking him. If he commits to the OHL after his NTDP years he'll be one of the best offensive defensemen in the league.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Two of the best uniforms in the league, gone in one fell swoop. :(

bfea2378-33d2-48b7-a630-0facace10f85_500.jpg
securedownload-5.jpeg

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Two of the best uniforms in the league, gone in one fell swoop. :(

bfea2378-33d2-48b7-a630-0facace10f85_500.jpg
securedownload-5.jpeg

Yeah I was really bummed when I heard Plymouth was leaving, then Belleville too. I loved the blue Whaler home jerseys the most. I'm not warmed up the the Firebirds look yet. I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Haha nice picture! I'm guessing you snapped that at one of the alumni games?

Yes, that shot of A.J. Jenks was taken at the 2012 alumni game. Photography is a hobby of mine, and I will occasionally bring a camera and telephoto lens along to the game. I was looking for a game with the blue uniforms, and came across that one. Ironically, I never brought my camera to a game where the Whalers were wearing the home blue jerseys. All my photos are either with green, white or pink jerseys (except for the alumni games). The only blue jerseys I could find were from that same 2012 alumni event.

451A2633-XL.jpg

For anyone interested in taking a trip down memory lane, here is a link to my gallery of Whalers hockey photos, along with a Red Wings open practice that was held at Compuware Arena in January of 2013 after the NHL lockout ended.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It's being reported that a Senior hockey team is being explored in Belleville and that June 30th is the deadline if they want to start the 2015-16 season.

A Senior team was attempted about 10 year ago but it didn't last long. Of course it was competing with a major junior team and that's not an issue now.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
It's being reported that a Senior hockey team is being explored in Belleville and that June 30th is the deadline if they want to start the 2015-16 season.

A Senior team was attempted about 10 year ago but it didn't last long. Of course it was competing with a major junior team and that's not an issue now.
If a want to watch senior hockey, i'd be watching my Tuesday night men's league. For free

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Congratulations to former Whalers owner Peter Karmanos on being elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in the builders category. While the end of the franchise this year was sad, he did bring the OHL to Michigan - - first in Detroit, and then to my hometown in Plymouth. We were fortunate to enjoy OHL hockey for many years because of him.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
For all the Whalers fans out there, I wanted to show off my recent pick up. Finally was able to get a Tom Sestito jersey into my collection. It is from 2005-06. I have Brophey's jersey from the same year too.

18681837044_ddf75096da_b.jpg
19116706900_cea8eb94f9_b.jpg

19308275071_a226b2f7ff_b.jpg

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Very cool, Sadist. I loved both those players during their Plymouth days. This brings back great memories of the '07 championship season!

BTW, one of our friends and Whalers STH has a green Sestito Whalers jersey.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Yes Whalers Fan. Congratulations to Mr. Karmanos on being selected to the Hockey Hall of Fame! Without him, the OHL may have never found their way to Michigan. He had some extroidinary coaches and players in Plymouth and it is a shame that Plymouth, Saginaw, and Flint couldn't all be in the OHL together.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
An article in today's Detroit Free Press regarding the ugly break-up between Peter Karmanos and Compuware has a brief mention of how the new Compuware leadership pulled the plug on the company's sponsorship of ice hockey, which may have contributed to Karmanos selling the arena and Plymouth Whalers.

From the article:

Paul also wanted to cut costs related to another Karmanos passion: ice hockey. Under Karmanos' direction, Compuware became a longtime financial supporter of an ice arena in suburban Detroit — the Compuware Arena — that Karmanos owned and where his Plymouth Whalers junior team played. Karmanos sold the Whalers early this year and they now play in Flint.

"For a global IT company, it didn't make any sense," Paul said. "We were writing $3 million to the NHL every year for a sponsorship of a couple hockey games in Europe."

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The USNDTP will be holding a "Select Your Seat" open house at USA Hockey Arena (formerly Compuware Arena) this Wednesday, August 19th from 5-8pm. They are promising "a peak" at the arena renovation plans. While we already have our same seats from the Whalers reserved, we may still attend to see what the plans are for the arena. When I drove by a week ago, the Compuware signage was down, so I would guess new USA Hockey Arena signs will be up soon, if they are not there already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad