Remembering the Plymouth Whalers and Belleville Bulls -- Final Games

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
This article was written by local reporter Tim Smith about the Whalers final home game. Tim's a very nice guy - he interviewed my wife and me at the game on Martin Luther King Day for an article on fan reaction about the team leaving.

I am an amateur photographer. While I do not shoot sports much, I would occasionally bring a camera to the Whalers games. I did this for the final game, and captured a few memories. You can see the photos here.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Great article and photos. Kudos to the fans and teams for the excellent way in which this was handled.

Contrast this with 2002 when North Bay lost the Centennials. There was a 2 way tie for last playoff spot East, so Kingston came here for a single game elimination. This potential last game ever drew about 2,700 in a resounding win (7-2?, maybe). On to the playoffs where the Toronto St. Michael's Majors swept North Bay. For the 4th game of the series, and obviously last game ever, the turnout dropped back to the by then normal level of about 2,200. As was, and still is, tradition, the 50-50 draw at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd triggered an exodus. By the time the game ended, there might have been 1700 in the stands. After a rather tepid salute by the remaining fans at game's end, it was over.

Speaking of relocations, nice to see Costa Papista still prominent as the point man for Flint. This legend was the architect of the sale, as team President, when the Centennials were "spirited" out of North Bay.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Thanks for making this a sticky.

USA Hockey has completed the purchase of Compuware Arena. The arena will be renamed USA Hockey Arena. Per the article, the arena will still be home to the Compuware Youth Hockey Program. There was no mention whether Catholic Central will continue to play its home games there, though.

Also for any local fans who may be interested, the initial splash page for the Plymouth Whalers home page indicate that season tickets for the NDTP will go on sale "soon".

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I have made this thread a sticky and renamed it for the purpose of bringing memories of both franchises and their fans to the forefront.

Good idea. There are quite a few Bulls and Whalers fan's that are Knowledgeable and I enjoy listening too. Hopefully they continue to be active on the boards.

MrCheapGuy

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks a lot Mr Branch. Aid in selling a viable team so that it can be moved only to have a another team file for bankruptcy just a few weeks later. What a dumba$$. Moved the wrong team. Mismanagement at it's best.
Even before he moved my team, I always wondered how this guy managed to keep his job. Take heed all fans in all small markets...your turn is coming.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I wonder if a group of local Belleville people will put in an offer for the Erie team and then move it to Belleville?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Thanks a lot Mr Branch. Aid in selling a viable team so that it can be moved only to have a another team file for bankruptcy just a few weeks later. What a dumba$$. Moved the wrong team. Mismanagement at it's best.
Even before he moved my team, I always wondered how this guy managed to keep his job. Take heed all fans in all small markets...your turn is coming.
This sum up my thoughts exactly. The OHL expedited the sale and move of the Bulls while Erie was on the verge of bankruptcy. I think it's safe to say that if we were to prioritize the urgencies of: renovating the Yardman Arena in Belleville versus aiding the sale of a team struggling to keep afloat, the OHL should have taken care of Erie's problem first.

The commissioner's main job is to please the owners and I can't see the Otters' owner being happy with Branch. Other owners should take note.

It was a joke. In fact it's the running joke going around our area today. But think about it, would it not be better to move the team to Belleville if a buyer wanted to do so, regardless that the OHL wants renovations done to our arena? If you ask me (and probably many others), the OHL should be more concerned with the Otters' financial statements and the owner's desire to sell rather than the state of our arena.

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
This sum up my thoughts exactly. The OHL expedited the sale and move of the Bulls while Erie was on the verge of bankruptcy. I think it's safe to say that if we were to prioritize the urgencies of: renovating the Yardman Arena in Belleville versus aiding the sale of a team struggling to keep afloat, the OHL should have taken care of Erie's problem first.

The commissioner's main job is to please the owners and I can't see the Otters' owner being happy with Branch. Other owners should take note.

It was a joke. In fact it's the running joke going around our area today. But think about it, would it not be better to move the team to Belleville if a buyer wanted to do so, regardless that the OHL wants renovations done to our arena? If you ask me (and probably many others), the OHL should be more concerned with the Otters' financial statements and the owner's desire to sell rather than the state of our arena.

Main reason erie filed was for Bassin ans his personal troubles. Read the GoErie article and others that have followed this from the beginning when the news with the loan from the oilers broke. Erie actually is doing supposedly fine this year with revenue.. The problem is the 4.6 million that Bassin owes in debt to the Oilers. Filing for bankruptcy allows him to determine who and where he sells the team. He either filed for bankruptcy or the oilers basically controlled the sale of the otters... Not necessarily for total erie financial troubles (although the original problem stemmed from financial troubles when erie sucked for 8 out of 10 years and couldn't earn revenue because they couldn't win games) but this issue to me is more of a Bassin financial issue than an erie otters revenue and financial issue

MrCheapGuy

Oct 16, 2014
And the Bulls survived for 34 years without having any financial aid, loans or bankruptcies despite having a sub par arena. That proves our point even more!! The wrong team got moved.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Any Whalers fans know if the pro shop at Compuware is still open? I've tried calling a couple of times and even emailed Terry Noble but haven't got an answer. Also anyone know what they did with the gameworn jerseys from this season? Would like to get one from this last season.

And the Bulls survived for 34 years without having any financial aid, loans or bankruptcies despite having a sub par arena. That proves our point even more!! The wrong team got moved.

Just because one person can tread water longer than the person next to them, it doesn't automatically make them a stronger swimmer. The writing was on the wall for some time in Belleville, it's really unfortunate not everyone took heed and read it. No playpen...no toys.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Any Whalers fans know if the pro shop at Compuware is still open? I've tried calling a couple of times and even emailed Terry Noble but haven't got an answer. Also anyone know what they did with the gameworn jerseys from this season? Would like to get one from this last season.

I have not been to the arena since the last home game. I would suggest calling the box office. Someone should answer the phone there, and could probably tell you if the shop is still open. I would think it is, since they also sharpen skates and sell equipment in the back of the store.

They were blowing things out at 75% off at the last game, so there may not be much left. We walked into the store almost an hour before game time, and the checkout line was already all the way to the back of the store. We turned around and walked out -- no way was I going to stand in that line for anything.

MrCheapGuy

Oct 16, 2014
Just because one person can tread water longer than the person next to them, it doesn't automatically make them a stronger swimmer. The writing was on the wall for some time in Belleville, it's really unfortunate not everyone took heed and read it. No playpen...no toys.

Some people can swim better than others!!

Priorities need to be in order. Mentally, there should be a list! Trust me when I say that no matter what I say now, it won't bring my Bulls back. Now with that being said, who in their right mind relocates a business if it's in the black yet allows another branch (no pun intended) or franchise location to go into bankruptcy? It's just not good business. Close the failing franchisee first and then work on the rest.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Some people can swim better than others!!

Priorities need to be in order. Mentally, there should be a list! Trust me when I say that no matter what I say now, it won't bring my Bulls back. Now with that being said, who in their right mind relocates a business if it's in the black yet allows another branch (no pun intended) or franchise location to go into bankruptcy? It's just not good business. Close the failing franchisee first and then work on the rest.

clearly you have no understanding of the real situation going on in Erie

MrCheapGuy

Oct 16, 2014
Clearly, you don't understand that I was referring to the fact the there was NO situation in Belleville at all. That's the point.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
junior hockey has proven that it doesnt work in Hamilton..... how many chances do they get...... will be hoping they fail miserably in that 17000 seat arena... what a joke....

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
junior hockey has proven that it doesnt work in Hamilton..... how many chances do they get...... will be hoping they fail miserably in that 17000 seat arena... what a joke....

bulldog-haters-gonna-hate-400.jpg

Clearly, you don't understand that I was referring to the fact the there was NO situation in Belleville at all. That's the point.

If you don't build it..they won't stay. It's all facility. There were issues in Belleville for years, the warning signs have been visible for over a decade every time you walked into the Yardman. Nobody acted, and it cost a good fan base their team.

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
As someone who was extremely close to the situation, the city and the owner were at an impasse in regards to the arena. It would have cost them 25-30 million dollars to renovate it to OHL standards. The city did not do enough to keep the team.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Yesterday the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs played their final game in front of 10,236 fans. Let the records show that one of the goals scored in their final game was by Eric Tangradi, a former Belleville Bull.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad