OT: Remembering the Olympic gold medal game in Vancouver (Feb. 28, 2010)

Where were you?

• In the building, peasant

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Not in the building, but you bet I was dancing in the streets

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Not in Vancouver, but watching on TV

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Not watching the game

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I didn't *get* to watch the game and my life has been full of regret ever since

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was actually black bloc (puts brick away)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Where were you? Were you in the building? In the streets? Watching in your mother's basement on a 14-inch black-and-white TV from 1972? Stuck pushing carts at Superstore, completely unable to watch the game? Not even born yet? Dispense.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Best game I ever watched. Up and down, back and forth, kept us all on the edge of our seats. The winner by Crosby of all people was unreal exciting!
Caught the whole game at the five point on main and it was a damn blast!

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I was actually in Australia for the duration of the Olympics. So I did not watch a single second of the entire games, other than some highlights when Aussies were doing some of the ski and boarding sports.

So as for as the Olympics go, there's no legacy for me. I did not experience them, I did not care about them. The beaches were too nice for that crap.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Decent tournament with a great result but 2002 Gold Medal game is still my favorite. Beating the Americans on home soil and all the hall of famers on both rosters.

Personally didnt fancy too many players on the 2010 Canadian team. Perry, Heatley, Nash, Thornton.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
My brother flew up from Australia to watch the Olympics.

My mother ended up in emergency the day of the game. We were at Burnaby Hospital. There were people in emergency who refused to leave when the room is ready for them because they wanted to watch the game. My brother and I took turns staying with my mom and watching the game. Fortunately my sister was there and my wife and they covered for us as well. ( my sister was a doctor at Burnaby general at the time ).

My wife, who is an American, ( and we were living in the states at the time),
Said it was one of the most surreal experiences of her life. All these insane Canadians in the emergency room and all they care about is the hockey game.

She already knew how insane Canadians can be about hockey. Just two months earlier we had watched the final game of the world junior championship in Mexico. The owner of the bar had to open up on his day off and had about 120 insane Canadians in a room that normally fit 70. There were also two Americans. ( then bloody Schrader scored ). People lined up 90 minutes before the game to make sure they would get in .

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I live in Kitimat, we watched the game on TV with my wife’s family. Intense game from start to finish, and one hell of a crowning moment with Crosby’s overtime winner.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I was with a couple of friends at Livecity Yaletown. Such a wonderful experience, the celebration in the streets afterwards is something I will never forget. The general vibe of the Olympics is in fact something that has stuck with me. It was not without legitimate controversy and concerns, but that is just one part the overall story, and there was indeed joy, brotherhood, sisterhood, embrace and healthy pride as well.

An interesting thing with the Livecity experience was the mix of people. Some diehard hockey fans. Many casual or even people that barely have any hockey sense joining the fun and ambience. The goal that Crosby scored was so incredibly quick, that a lot of people in that crowd didn't realize it even happened. Certain people followed the play and erupted instantly, others shortly after, and others still with no clue started cheering just because everyone else was lol. Kind of like a bubbling volcano that suddenly blew. It was pretty cool.

Reactions: I am toxic

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
i miss olympic hockey.

RIGHT?!?

The highest level of international hockey is completely dormant. An entire generation of fans and players are being ROBBED of this by the NHL, IIHF and IOC's incompetence. So sick of the overbearing corporate control of the sport. It's out of balance. I grew up on stories from my father and video highlights of the Summit series and Canada Cups but never got to see it myself until 1998. The depth of international talent is so beyond where we were. I feel so lucky now to have witnessed a string of elite Olympic hockey from Nagano to Sochi. I don't even care if it's the Olympics, the NHL can host their own World Cup or what have you, just please do it so my children can experience this.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
RIGHT?!?

The highest level of international hockey is completely dormant. An entire generation of fans and players are being ROBBED of this by the NHL, IIHF and IOC's incompetence. So sick of the overbearing corporate control of the sport. It's out of balance. I grew up on stories from my father and video highlights of the Summit series and Canada Cups but never got to see it myself until 1998. The depth of international talent is so beyond where we were. I feel so lucky now to have witnessed a string of elite Olympic hockey from Nagano to Sochi. I don't even care if it's the Olympics, the NHL can host their own World Cup or what have you, just please do it so my children can experience this.

An actual best on best tournament is so badly needed.

I honestly don't understand why the World Championships aren't just pushed forward to July or September at this point. The IIHF should cut the annoyingly incompetent NHL and IOC out of it. Make the tournament every two years instead of every year and ramp up the production to compensate for the lost year.

Reactions: Dr Always Right

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
What a special, special time it was. Took 2 week vacation from work so I could watch it all and experience it. Downtown atmosphere was incredible, weather was great (probably too good), all the medals won, and then to top it all off with the GOLDEN GOAL.

Memory may be fuzzy here, but was it during the 2010 Olympics that we experienced one of the funniest HF threads ever that was titled "This is Outhouse"?

Reactions: jd22 and I am toxic

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
One of the greatest sports moment of all time for me. Friends & family were pumped and about to celebrate, then they tied it in the last minute, so devastated. Ran out of beer, had to go to the liquor store to grab more liquor, back to the game lol. Was talking about how Crosby’s line sucked and that they should get off and that we should shorten the bench before that play eventually happened. Golden goal was scored, everyone is celebrating, people of all backgrounds united in the streets, high fiving, horns honking. It was epic, Go Canada!!

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The goal that Crosby scored was so incredibly quick, that a lot of people in that crowd didn't realize it even happened.
My first impression of the goal was that "man, that was one weak azz goal that Ryan Miller let in; right thru the five hole". Doesn't take away from his brilliant play (and likely was the main reason his team even got to point). Still, my 2nd thought, man, had Luongo let in a goal like that, he would've been cruxified.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I actually had to work that day, back then I was working at an Ice Arena just at a local Rec Centre. We had moved the giant TV we had into the Lobby and it ended up being packed with tons of clients who had come in to use the facilities for various activities so it ended up being a great atmosphere.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
IIRC, that was the last event to be played, and that Gold pushed Canada into the highest number of Golds in the Games, the only time Canada has ever achieved that feat - am I remembering that right?

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I was so mad that Luongo didn’t get the start against the Americans in the preliminaries that I put my Brodeur hockey card in the freezer to jinx him, lol. The rest is history.

2625596.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NomadicCanadian

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
An actual best on best tournament is so badly needed.

I honestly don't understand why the World Championships aren't just pushed forward to July or September at this point. The IIHF should cut the annoyingly incompetent NHL and IOC out of it. Make the tournament every two years instead of every year and ramp up the production to compensate for the lost year.

The IIHF is still very Euro-centric, I imagine it really has a lot to do with the playing schedules of the top-tier European leagues. I'm sure there's other factors, but the potential benefit is stubornly being ignored. Maybe as a twist on what you suggested, the WHC remains an annual event but every second or third year it would come to North America and be held in September instead of May. Doesn't everyone win here?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I was here for the Olympics visiting from Calgary, I watched the game in Calgary but my experience was great for the Olympics.

It was a great game to cap off a great Olympics.

2 months later I left there and never looked back.
I knew my time in Calgary was up and staying there was not going to be helpful in my life.
I didn't start my career yet so I was fresh out of school when the recession hit and Calgary was hit the hardest, layoffs and people not hiring.

I moved to Vancouver April 2010, I'm in my career 9 years in and made a lot of good memories here.
I can't go back to that past life, as much as the memories are still there...

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Where were you? Were you in the building? In the streets? Watching in your mother's basement on a 14-inch black-and-white TV from 1972? Stuck pushing carts at Superstore, completely unable to watch the game? Not even born yet? Dispense.

A neighbour had a birthday party planned for their 5 yo. So we were at the old bowling alley underground at Arbutus and 15th (since redeveloped). eff me!

While the little mof . . err, darlings . . . were playing five pin while the moms prevented them from hurling balls at each other, all the dads went out to where the TV screen was and watched.

Never jumped so high as when Sid put it in the net.

Epic moment. Epic games.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
A neighbour had a birthday party planned for their 5 yo. So we were at the old bowling alley underground at Arbutus and 15th (since redeveloped). eff me!

While the little mof . . err, darlings . . . were playing five pin while the moms prevented them from hurling balls at each other, all the dads went out to where the TV screen was and watched.

Never jumped so high as when Sid put it in the net.

Epic moment. Epic games.
Varsity Ridge Bowling? Hey, I played their a few times. Chance I probably ran into you.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad