OT: Remembering the Olympic gold medal game in Vancouver (Feb. 28, 2010)

Where were you?

• In the building, peasant

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Not in the building, but you bet I was dancing in the streets

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Not in Vancouver, but watching on TV

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Not watching the game

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I didn't *get* to watch the game and my life has been full of regret ever since

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was actually black bloc (puts brick away)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not even in the country for the Olympics, and coverage of the game in the U.S, almost non-existent. I don't think the U.S. Networks have cared about Olympic hockey since the Miracle on Ice in 1980.

Felt really sorry for Miller.....beaten for the 'Golden Goal' and then found himself playing for Willie Desjardins' Canucks in the same building a few seasons later. Now that's the definition of a 'double whammy'!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not even in the country for the Olympics, and coverage of the game in the U.S, almost non-existent. I don't think the U.S. Networks have cared about Olympic hockey since the Miracle on Ice in 1980
Didn’t hurt the Yanks where playing against “the evil empire” (Cold War was still in full swing). I wonder what the US perception of the Canada-Russia 1972 series was like.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I was with a couple of friends at Livecity Yaletown. Such a wonderful experience, the celebration in the streets afterwards is something I will never forget. The general vibe of the Olympics is in fact something that has stuck with me. It was not without legitimate controversy and concerns, but that is just one part the overall story, and there was indeed joy, brotherhood, sisterhood, embrace and healthy pride as well.

An interesting thing with the Livecity experience was the mix of people. Some diehard hockey fans. Many casual or even people that barely have any hockey sense joining the fun and ambience. The goal that Crosby scored was so incredibly quick, that a lot of people in that crowd didn't realize it even happened. Certain people followed the play and erupted instantly, others shortly after, and others still with no clue started cheering just because everyone else was lol. Kind of like a bubbling volcano that suddenly blew. It was pretty cool.

This.

Devastated by the sled track death, embarrassed by not being able to get it up in the opening ceremonies. Going down to Science World to watch Colbert live. Bumping into Gretzky outside Royal Centre. Watching live at Rogers when Dmitra won for Slovakia over Russia in a shootout in the prelim round - what a game, what a crowd, what a massive flag they were waving! Lotsa tickets to women's curling at Hillcrest. Women's hockey gold. The skiers and boarders performing out of their minds on the slopes. Joannie Rochette, still brings tears to my eyes to this day. Men's gold. And then the closing ceremonies reminded me it's not how you start, it's all about the clima . . . the finish.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Varsity Ridge Bowling? Hey, I played their a few times. Chance I probably ran into you.:laugh:

Yep, and the old Ridge theatre is gone as well. Lost count of how many times I got dressed in drag for the RHPS, doing the time wa . . . I mean, yeah, the Ridge.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
That overtime was the most stressful sporting event I have ever witnessed. I could barely watch.

And then the Golden Goal, and just pure elation.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I remember eating late night at the Varsity Grill restaurant WAY back as well. A shame alot of these places only exist today in our memories.

Yep.

Even my old elementary school, bulldozed to make townhomes. We owned a house beside the school for almost 50 years, played street hockey on the paved upper field seemingly every day . . . awww, now I'm getting nostalgic

Reactions: Hit the post

WestCoastFinnie

Oct 20, 2018
Screamed for joy when Crosby scored and then 10 minutes later, pulled up with the boys to play road hockey to recreate history.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
To this day that overtime was the most stressed out I’ve ever been watching a sporting event

Reactions: Red

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Didnt watch hockey at the time, and tbh I dont really care about international hockey events as i cheer for the players who are on the Canucks so could be USA Sweden Russia Canada Whoever

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Was inside the building. Was an employee of Vanoc (Organizing committee). Had street clothes on under my Vanoc Uniform. After I passed security I went into the washroom and got changed so my Vanoc uniform was under my street clothes.... was shitfaced drunk by the end of the first period. Best day ever.... and I got paid for it. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad