Bruins Classics GDT Remembering May 10 1970 - 1 PM 98.5 WBZ-FM - 8 PM NHL Network (US), SN (Canada)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-5-10_5-48-18.png

21.PNG

upload_2020-5-10_5-51-19.png

upload_2020-5-10_5-52-9.png

upload_2020-5-10_5-53-32.png

upload_2020-5-10_5-54-18.png

aguineapig

He rode the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse that season. The Hart, Norris and Art Ross for MVP, Best Defenceman and Leading Scorer were handed out at a ceremony on May 9th. The next day the Conn Smythe for Playoff MVP would be secured with The GOAL. It was the most dominating season by anyone in any sport that I can recall. Every kid wanted to be Bobby and since supply and demand dictate, rinks by the hundreds were built from East to West. He brought the sport to the masses. The Who released Tommy that same year, it was dubbed the first Rock Opera. Bobby performed a Puck Opera that season. I thought of him every time I heard this.

He's a Pinball Wizard
There has to be twist
A Pinball Wizard's
Got such a supple wrist

How do you think he does it?
I don't know
What makes him so good?

He can beat my best
His disciples lead him in
And he just does the rest

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
After being knocked out of the playoffs in 1969 by the hated Habs, it looked like a rematch in the making going into the 1970 playoffs. With one game remaining in the regular season the Habs were holding the final playoff spot in the Eastern Division by two points over the Rangers. But a Ranger win couples with a Hab loss in the final game would leave the two with identical records. In that scenario it would come down to goals for. The Habs had a five goal advantage with one game left, it seemed a lock we would play them again. But a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum. The Rags playing at home against the Wings poured 65 shots on Roger Crozier and won 9-5. The Cat Emile Francis even pulled the Rags goalie up 9-3 looking for more. The Habs meanwhile were in Chicago facing the first place Hawks. They went down 5-2 and pulled Rogie Vachon to try to claw back, but the Hawks scored five empty netters winning 10-2. The teams had finished with identical records 38-22-16 for 92 points, but Rangers scored 246 goals to Habs 244 thus earning the last playoff spot to face Bobby and the Big Bad Bruins.​

I was 10 years old & remember being so happy the Habs didn't make the playoffs. I hated them even at an early age !!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Members of the 1970 team no longer with us

Ace Bailey - Died: September 11, 2001
Gary Doak - Died: March 25, 2017
Ted Green (injured in preseason) - Died: October 8, 2019
John McKenzie - Died: June 9, 2018
Ron Murphy - Died: March 6, 2014
Bill Speer - Died: February 12, 1989
Tom Webster - Died: April 10, 2020
Barry Wilkins - Died: June 26, 2011

Owner
Weston Adams - Died: March 19, 1973

General Manager
Milt Schmidt - Died: January 4, 2017

Assistant Coach
Tom Johnston - Died: November 21, 2007

Trainers:
Dan Canney - Died: January 22, 2017
John Forristall - Died: May 30. 1995

Television
Don Earle - Died: December 12, 1993

Radio
Fred Cusick - Died: September 15, 2009

Organist
John Kiley - Died: July 15, 1993

PA Announcer
Frank Fallon - November 29, 1973

1970Bruins

May 18, 2018
Boston
So many great posts here -- thanks for all of them.

The next season, one of the most popular shows on TV in Boston was TV 38's "The Road to the Stanley Cup," a rebroadcast of all/most of the games in the 69-70 season. Everyone loved reliving the season, especially during the Bruins' incredible run and dominance of the 70-71 season. But when the Habs and Ken Dryden delivered the dagger in the 1st round of the playoffs, we wondered if TV 38 would offer a "Road to the Quarterfinals" series the following year.

Happy Anniversary, Happy Mother's Day to all.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Great testament to playing aggressively in OT (of course, we were up 3-0 so it’s a bit easier I suppose). Obviously Orr made the aggressive pinch but, before that Awrey made a really aggressive pinch too.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Today is Mother’s Day and Bobby Orr Day.

My Sunday Globe was laying out in the driveway the same way it probably was 50 years ago.

the sports section today is iconic / a keeper - so much about the Bruins and Bobby.

Hockey Network right now has a special on Orr - that is insane footage - and it just followed one in Esposito

tonight they have the big special on that team

my mother was sitting right there where he scored front row above corner clock and those are her hands first up

I owe it all to them my love of hockey - and those seats starting in 1983 (My first year as season was the first game of Mario and first shift he scores right infront of me)

yup it’s been a Wonderful Hockey Life

going to take a ride to the cemetery and check out if we are still winning the next Cup

What a great hockey day

aguineapig

We would trudge down to our towns Zayre on a Saturday night armed with a pocket full of change. We'd play pinball out back in an area adjacent to the hall where the rest rooms were. There were a some vending machines soda, candy and those old cigarette machines with the long pull out handles. We'd play til the change was gone and then head to the sporting goods section. We'd go through all the sticks Victoriaville, SherWood, Northland.
Espo and his brother Tony had a line of street hockey gear Mylec and they would usually have a net set up on display. We'd grab some sticks and a ball and start a quick game, until the store detective would come storming up yelling at us to get the hell out. Then back into the cold night, maybe some snowballs would be accidently aimed at the local cop cars. Accidently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad