Bruins Classics GDT Remembering May 10 1970 - 1 PM 98.5 WBZ-FM - 8 PM NHL Network (US), SN (Canada)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
We would trudge down to our towns Zayre on a Saturday night armed with a pocket full of change. We'd play pinball out back in an area adjacent to the hall where the rest rooms were. There were a some vending machines soda, candy and those old cigarette machines with the long pull out handles. We'd play til the change was gone and then head to the sporting goods section. We'd go through all the sticks Victoriaville, SherWood, Northland.
Espo and his brother Tony had a line of street hockey gear Mylec and they would usually have a net set up on display. We'd grab some sticks and a ball and start a quick game, until the store detective would come storming up yelling at us to get the hell out. Then back into the cold night, maybe some snowballs would be accidently aimed at the local cop cars. Accidently.
Dedham, Framingham, or Medford?

Last edited:

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
All this seventies talk makes me want a waterbed with no baffles and a burnt orange rainbow.

My friends mom had a dubious row of Kowloon glasses she claims were taken after partying with certain Bruins ... from the Allegheny Airline days

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fens, was the game actually broadcast on Ch. 5? I wasn't in Boston then I assumed TV38.

It was on both 5 and 38 but WSBK had to take the CBS feed

upload_2020-5-10_22-27-32.png

Reactions: GordonHowe

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Born 18 years after these ads aired, but I love vintage footage like this. The closest we will ever get to going back in time. The feel of old commercials, in particular, is such a sensory experience.

The one that shook me was the Kappy's of Medford commercial - The place looks exactly the same today.

I still maintain the biggest oops in Boston TV history occurred after the 1966-67 season. Channel 56 had the rights to both the Bruins and Celtics but decided to focus on the Celtics and let Channel 38 try their luck with the Bruins. :oops:

Fred Cusick was working for Channel 56 and was thus frozen out and TV38 hired an announcer from Springfield (Don Earle) to do the games.

Cusick missed the 67-68 and 68-69 seasons completely as WHDH radio had Bob Wilson but then WBZ Radio got the contract and hired Fred and Wilson ironically went to St. Louis for 2 years and actually called Game 4 on KMOX Radio as Dan Kelly was doing CBS TV.

Earle got the shafted the following year when Cusick moved to TV38 for the 71-72 season and WBZ-AM then hired Wilson. Earle did get some revenge when he was hired by the Flyers and they won the Cup in 1974.

Earle was fired in Philly after saying on air - 'and the puck hit the ******* post' and he went back to Springfield and passed away in 1993.

Phil Esposito wanted to hire Don in Tampa for Lightning radio in 1992 but it didn't work out.

img

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The 1970 Bruins parade occurred the next day and basically went from Park Sq to City Hall down Washington St ( not Tremont ) when the Combat Zone was at its zenith. It was said at the time that the crowd was 125,000 and the largest in the city since World War II.

The Celtics of the 60's never had a parade and they won the NBA every year except 1967 - The 1967 Red Sox never had a parade either.

If you are of a certain age and hear this song there is only ONE thought

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Then came the bombshell

upload_2020-5-15_7-58-42.png

It was the first hint that the Adams family just didn't have the money that other NHL teams did and they would be forced to sell the team to TV38 2 years later. TV38 brought Sinden back 2 years later and told Milt Schmidt to look for another job which he did take with expansion Washington.

Overlooked is the fact Jeremey Jacobs when he took over gave Milt a lifetime job with the Bruins.

Oddly when Sinden took the job with the housing manufacture in Rochester, NY he became friends with Don Cherry who worked for the company during the summer as a construction worker.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad