OT: Remembering January 17th, 1999: Pavel Bure is traded to the Florida Panthers

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
20 years ago today, Pavel Bure - having held out for the entire 1998-99 season in an attempt to leave the Canucks - was traded to the Florida Panthers in a seven-player deal.

0_0_3523_6474.jpg

28784293E.jpg

Vancouver receives
Florida receives
1st round pick (2000)​
Pavel Bure​
Ed Jovanovski​
Bret Hedican​
Dave Gagner​
Brad Ference​
Kevin Weekes​
3rd round pick (2000)​
Mike W. Brown​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The Bure for Jovanovski trade in 1999

I don't remember a lot of happiness.

It was a disappointing deal at the time. Basically Bure for Jovanovski and a first - given that he was the best goalscorer in the NHL and only 27 years old, it wasn't a great return.

Was also disappointing that Hedican had to leave in the deal - he was the team's best defender at the time and in terms of actual ability was a pretty straight-across trade for Jovanovski (obviously Jovanovski had more value and potential) so the deal didn't really improve the team on the ice at all.

Most fans were expecting a kings ransom of 3-4 elite young building blocks ... and not only did that not happen, we had to include another top asset to get what we did.

However, in hindsight, it did work out a ton better than the packages that were proposed from NYR and LA, since Jovo turned out better than any of the guys rumoured in those deals.

One potential deal that very few ever talk about is the one that might have taken place between Washington and Vancouver.

To Washington: Pavel Bure
To Vancouver: Sergei Gonchar, Richard Zednik, 1st round pick

Had this happened, Bure would have become a Capital, and it is very unlikely Jaromir Jagr would have been traded there the following year.

Here's an excerpt from an insider update published by Pierre McGuire for Sports Illustrated on January 18, 1999, presumably written before the January 17, 1999 trade between Vancouver and Florida:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1014981/index.htm

It seems there were talks between the two teams, though few know for certain how far those negotiations went. For McGuire to make this assertion, though, means a significant amount of conversation must have occurred between the two organizations. Considering the date of publication is January 18, 1999, a day after the trade happened, one has to think the two teams were negotiating just prior to the actual Bure trade and that it fell through leading up to the trade with Florida. Perhaps Bure for Jovanovski in fact was a backup scenario, as it's quite clear the proposed deal between the Capitals and Canucks better serves the latter team than the pieces they received from Florida.

George McPhee had been the Capitals' general manager for two years by that point, and both he and Burke had previously worked for the Canucks under Pat Quinn, though not at the same time; McPhee replaced Burke as the team's assistant GM in 1992, and served as the team's assistant GM between 1992 and 1997, enough time to evaluate Bure and to know exactly what product he was to receive.

Of course, his relationship with Bure might have been questionable, as he was part of the management team the latter grew to despise. If this deal had taken place, perhaps their relationship would have started anew or Bure would have headed to free agency. He did, after all, sign an extension with the Panthers a month after being traded to Florida. In any event, this exchange was apparently on the table.

It seems Pavel Bure could have been a Washington Capital. The deal appears to have been a possibility leading up to the actual trade between Florida and Vancouver. The eventual trade could very well have been their Plan B rather than their initial preference that day.

at the time, i remember disappointment. at least, i was disappointed. that was the point where we were basically just waiting for messier's contract to run out, so whether or not gagner had anything left (he didn't), he was definitely the wrong kind of player to come over.

basically, i think a lot of us wanted a can't miss impact player coming back. a ziggy palffy, for example. and if not, then good futures.

kevin weekes was just another in a long line of our "goalies of the future." was he better than corey hirsch or garth snow? burke wanted to sell him as the real deal, but we'd heard that story before. canucks fans will remember mike fountain. i think we'd have been happy if it was a guy with a pedigree like giguere or marc denis. kevin weekes was a guy most of us had never heard of, who never played in the WJC, who was putting up great IHL numbers but on a vet-heavy defensive juggernaut (and those numbers weren't as good as andrei trefilov, whom he shared the crease with).

jovo, you have to remember a lot of the shine was off him by that point. seemed like a high reward guy, but also a guy who might be on his way to becoming michel petit. obviously he worked out pretty well. but as the major piece for pavel bure? let's just say we felt like we were getting a selanne deal (tverdovsky and kilger) instead of the recchi deal (desjardins and leclair) that we wanted.

as for smith, a late pick. but the picks immediately after him:

24 Toronto Maple Leafs Brad Boyes
25 Dallas Stars Steve Ott
26 Washington Capitals Brian Sutherby
27 Boston Bruins Martin Samuelsson
28 Philadelphia Flyers Justin Williams
29 Detroit Red Wings Niklas Kronwall

so four guys who are still in the league, and all four are still pretty good players 14 years later. early picks in that year's 2nd round that are still in the league:

33 Minnesota Wild Nick Schultz
38 Detroit Red Wings Tomas Kopecky
40 Calgary Flames Kurtis Foster
44 Anaheim Ducks Ilya Bryzgalov
46 Calgary Flames Jarret Stoll

ugh.

it also made no sense to me that we had to give up a very useful guy in hedican, and a recent first rounder in ference to make this seeming lemon of a deal happen.

but as someone above did mention, once we saw jovo play, i did have really high hopes for our young d-corps. ohlund, aucoin, mccabe, jovo. but then jovo ended up making both aucoin and mccabe expendable, and weekes sucking necessitated yet another crappy goalie of the future (the aucoin for dan cloutier trade).

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
That day broke my heart. My favorite player traded for pretty much Jovanovski. Gagner played a couple games then retired. Weekes was the supposed goalie of the future, but was buried in the goalie graveyard. Brown had a cup of coffee. The often injured Bure recollected himself and started tearing it up for the Panthers. Leading his team in scoring for a bunch of seasons, by a wide margin. It was wrong but I always had a closer eye on Jovo-cop. Wasn't very fair, but I some what resented him for being the main piece coming back for Bure. Although he was a very good defenseman "one of the Nucks best", he'd drive me crazy with his hit or miss breakouts. Often resulting being caught way out of position.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That day broke my heart. My favorite player traded for pretty much Jovanovski. Gagner played a couple games then retired. Weekes was the supposed goalie of the future, but was buried in the goalie graveyard. Brown had a cup of coffee. The often injured Bure recollected himself and started tearing it up for the Panthers. Leading his team in scoring for a bunch of seasons, by a wide margin. It was wrong but I always had a closer eye on Jovo-cop. Wasn't very fair, but I some what resented him for being the main piece coming back for Bure. Although he was a very good defenseman "one of the Nucks best", he'd drive me crazy with his hit or miss breakouts. Often resulting being caught way out of position.
Jovocop just was injured so much you couldn’t rely on him being in the lineup. Course like Salo, it doesn’t mean he wasn’t any good. Only that you’re depth better be good if you have him on your roster.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I seriously think they should have fire the management team prior to this disaster. Same bunch bungled the Gretzky signing!!

Think about that! Gretzky wanted to center Bure and tried to come to Vancouver but Quinn screwed it up in negotiations! The best player in history wants to play with the greatest Canuck and Quinn can't climb down off his monumental ego! FFS!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
remember it like it was yesterday. I had no internet too, which made things harder for me to do research on all assets.

darkest day in Canucks history. also the 1st round pick was either 1999 or 2000, at Floridas option. Of course they kept the 1999 one.

Leading up to the trade, remember reading Rob Neidermayer was one of the key components coming back. When we got a 35 year old Dave Gagner I was shocked and surprised that we got him instead of a young up and comer in Neidermayer. was a stat watcher too, so not too impressed with Jovo's stats leading up to that point. Kevin Weeks didn't know who he was, mike Brown, oh cool, a former 1st rounder in 97 and a B.C boy. Kevin Weeks gets traded less then a year later, due to a rift with Crawford. the rift all began with him being late for practice once and Weeks used an excuse that he left his wallet behind or something, great times. wow.

but wow does time fly. the trade favoured Florida no matter what, but Jovo was a very good offensive dman for us. Nathan Smith didn't even turn into anything which at the time, I thought was an important part of the trade. Hey, I was young, my expectations was a 1st rounder's gotta turn out no matter what. Jovo played in 2 all star games for us, and made team Canada (major tournaments) on 3 occasions as a member of a Canuck during his tenure with the Canucks. the trade did work out for us.

anyways, wow... time just flew by like nothing.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Leading up to the trade, remember reading Rob Neidermayer was one of the key components coming back. When we got a 35 year old Dave Gagner I was shocked and surprised that we got him instead of a young up and comer in Neidermayer.
I don't remember that but imagine if it had been Rob Neidermayer how the fortunes of the team might have changed (assuming he had stayed a Canuck). One of major reasons by Scott Neidermayer chose to sign with the Ducks (so he could play with his brother) over us.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I was about 13 at the time and even at that age I knew Burke was full of shit when he was talking up Dave Gagner being a big part of the deal. I do remember being super excited to be getting Jovo and actually ended buying his jersey a few years later. His KO of Adam Deadmarsh is what sealed the deal for me.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
On this topic, what were some of the other rumoured offers for Bure at the time? I remember there was a rumour of a deal to the Islanders for Ziggy Palffy, as well as deals with the Rangers(I believe Cloutier, Malhotra and Nik Sundstrom's names were bandied about) and the Kings. Never heard the Washington deal mentioned above before, that would've been interesting.

ultra7k

Jul 14, 2009
Didn't Kevin Weeks fake an injury or something? I vaguely recall that being the end of his career in Vancouver.

I remember the trade as well, but at that point was pretty resentful of Bure for sitting out the season. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago now. Wow.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Didn't Kevin Weeks fake an injury or something? I vaguely recall that being the end of his career in Vancouver.

I remember the trade as well, but at that point was pretty resentful of Bure for sitting out the season. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago now. Wow.
I also dispised him at the time. Wasnt until later we found out about some of the shinanigans regarding his treatment by management (ie., contract currency switcheroo). Still at least he didn't give out a list of teams he wouldn't report to.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I also dispised him at the time. Wasnt until later we found out about some of the shinanigans regarding his treatment by management (ie., contract currency switcheroo). Still at least he didn't give out a list of teams he wouldn't report to.

Bure had also wanted out the prior season, coming off two sub par and injury riddled season. But while letting management know he wanted out he shut up and played an entire season re-establishing himself as a top goal scorer and a top value asset, then he sat out.

Bure was my favourite Canuck during that time and personally I never held it against him. These things never tend to go well for the team that has to make the trade but Bure did a real solid for Vancouver bringing his value back up before playing hardball with management.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Actually wasn’t it Gagner that first drew attention to the Canucks as a scout for us Tanev? In the end, he REALLY was a key part of the deal! Burke is a genius!
Such long-term thinking. Elite.

I was angry at Bure forna few years. Not any longer, in part because of the management crapulence towards him. Most exciting, most talented Canuck of all time. Only now are we seeing a player that could take that title away from him, and that is with no disrespect to the Sedins.

Reactions: Hit the post

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
At the time, I definitely remember being aghast at the return. Jovanovski was exciting, sure, but we had to throw in Bret Hedican? Plus what seemed like a top prospect in Brad Ference?

That said, in retrospect, we fared way better in this trade than a lot of other teams that dealt away star scoring forwards during that era. Compared to the Selanne, Roenick, Gretzky-to-the-Blues, Gilmour-to-Montreal, Tkachuk, Jagr, or Joe Thornton trades in the years before and after... well, getting a guy who turned into a top-pairing defenseman for us wasn’t so bad at all.

(For that matter, the Mogilny to New Jersey for Morison trade was another one that seemed disappointing at the time but worked out well in the end.)

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
From what I remember:

- The cloud of the pending Bure deal hung over the city so long that having a deal done was good just to move on
- Burke pontificating that he insisted on Dave Gagner being part of the deal
- Burke saying he wanted (and got) the value of 5 1st round picks
- Not liking the loss of Hedican at all - he was a solid top 4 guy for us and was a core part of the Cup winning team in Carolina
- Jovo was a solid player for us but sadly walked off for nothing. He generally left you wanting more.
- Ference was on the outs because he punched Ohlund in practice (or something to that effect)
- Weekes, didn't know much about him but liked him - too bad it didn't work out

Love or hate Burke - he was good at identifying what he wanted and finding a way to get it.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I was 16. Bure was and is my favourite player of all-time, but like everyone else I had been mentally preparing myself for his departure for a while. At the time I thought the trade was pretty good. I was a huge Jovo fan. But I seriously undervalued Hedican back then.

I had tickets for Bure's first game back, and my friend and I were driving to the rink when we heard he'd miss the game. I think it was a broken thumb. That f***ing sucked. The next year we were there, and got thrown out of the arena for going nuts after Bure scored.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I was 16. Bure was and is my favourite player of all-time, but like everyone else I had been mentally preparing myself for his departure for a while. At the time I thought the trade was pretty good. I was a huge Jovo fan. But I seriously undervalued Hedican back then.

I had tickets for Bure's first game back, and my friend and I were driving to the rink when we heard he'd miss the game. I think it was a broken thumb. That ****ing sucked. The next year we were there, and got thrown out of the arena for going nuts after Bure scored.

Same! My friend got me tickets to the game and he apparently injured his pinky !

I don't remember that but imagine if it had been Rob Neidermayer how the fortunes of the team might have changed (assuming he had stayed a Canuck). One of major reasons by Scott Neidermayer chose to sign with the Ducks (so he could play with his brother) over us.

Scott Neidermayer a long with jovial. Regardless, he would have lasted longer then gagner who only ended up playing 15 games for us. Like wth, and jovo at the time was sub par. Add to the fact, we kinda knew Florida will give us their 2000 1st rounder which would have been a 20s pick. Trade is not looking too good for us.

I remember something the lines of him being late for practice because he lost his wallet or something like that, and that didn’t go to well with crow. He was then along with bill mckault and Dave scatchard shipped out for declining sieve, Felix potvin which was one of Burke’s bad trades during the time.

The Dave gagner was news to me too. I thought we will at least get back neidermayer. Thankfully jovo worked out well for us. 3 years later bure was shipped off for like 2 2nd round picks and a prospect.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Was honestly one of the worst days of my life. Almost as bad as the 2011 cup loss for me. Bure is and was my favorite player of all time and I almost cried myself to sleep that night.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I remember he was late for practice or a game one time and said he was mugged. Pretty sure he was moved out shortly after that.

I think it was some insane lie like he was carjacked while driving over the lion's gate bridge. Somebody will remember.

Same! My friend got me tickets to the game and he apparently injured his pinky !

We ended up going to the game anyway, then left halfway through to sneak into the Lions game (???) that was happening at the same time. We were both wearing Bure jerseys and we got 10x more shit from Lions fans than anybody at GM Place.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think it was some insane lie like he was carjacked while driving over the lion's gate bridge. Somebody will remember.

Just googled it, it's even worse than we remember lol.

Why Weekes was traded: Questionable knee injury and an incredible tale of robbery led to goaltender's exit from Canucks

According to sources, Weekes told the coaching staff and team security he’d been robbed. His story went like this.
On his way to the game, he’d gone into a dry cleaner in downtown Vancouver to pick up some items he’d dropped off earlier. When he walked out of the shop, he was approached by a man.
”Are you Kevin Weekes?” the man allegedly asked.
”Yes.”
”Follow me,” he said.
At this point, Weekes told coaches and team security, the robber hopped in his car and started driving.
Weekes hopped in his and followed the guy across the Granville Street Bridge to an alley somewhere in the Granville Island area.
The guy asked for any money Weekes was carrying and the player handed over several hundred dollars in bills. There was no gun involved.
And that, said Kevin Weekes, was why he was late.

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad