Post-Game Talk: Remember when Our Biggest Fear was Goaltending? 9th Olympic CDN Gold in Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Olympic success related to NHL success.

At on point in this game Toews, Sharp and Keith were on a Canada PP while Kruger, Hjalmarsson and Oduya were on for Sweden PK.

6 Hawks on the ice fighting for Gold and Silver and Chicago winning 2 of the last 4 Stanley Cups.

Team Canada entering the game had 36 Stanley Cup, WC or Olympic gold medals. Proven winners seems to be the theme behind the selection.

No surprise. The most talented players had success. It's really quite simple.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Babcock can't coach Detroit past Randy Carlyle's rag tag bunch of Corsi flops but all the waist huggers come out when he manages to win something with the deepest, most talented lineup in the world. Hilarious.

I would say on paper, Leafs are not behind Detroit, and you are talking about 2 Stanley Cup caliber coaches here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock can't coach Detroit past Randy Carlyle's rag tag bunch of Corsi flops but all the waist huggers come out when he manages to win something with the deepest, most talented lineup in the world. Hilarious.

Which country were you cheering for, because it appears you seem very angry on a day where Canada is celebrating and rejoicing in its Olympic hockey success?.

Seems like an odd time to be ripping on a 2 X repeat gold medal winning coach.

Canada put on a defensive clinic with a lot of offensively gifted players many not necessarily known for their defensive prowess, but seem to have bought into a winning coaches system.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
I would say on paper, Leafs are not behind Detroit, and you are talking about 2 Stanley Cup caliber coaches here.

Carlyle only won with Pronger, Neidermayer, Getzlaf, Perry, etc. and a top 10 goaltender. Murray basically built that team for Burke and then he and Randy took all the credit. I mean, that's the party line around here, isn't it?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Carlyle only won with Pronger, Neidermayer, Getzlaf, Perry, etc. and a top 10 goaltender. Murray basically built that team for Burke and then he and Randy took all the credit. I mean, that's the party line around here, isn't it?

Thats the same as saying Babcock only won with Lidtsrom, Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Rafalski etc.

I think Babcock is a fine coach, maybe not as amazing as some make him out to be, but he definitely gets results.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Which country were you cheering for, because it appears you seem very angry on a day where Canada is celebrating and rejoicing in its Olympic hockey success?

Canada.

Seems like an odd time to be ripping on a 2 X repeat gold medal winning coach.

Not odd at all. He's getting kudos he doesn't deserve.

Canada put on a defensive clinic with a lot of offensively gifted players many not necessarily known for their defensive prowess, but seemsto have bought into a winning coaches system.

Crosby, Bergeron, Kunitz, Sharp, Toews, Nash, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Vlasic, Doughty: these are the guys you are claiming aren't known for their defensive effort? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Thats the same as saying Babcock only won with Lidtsrom, Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Rafalski etc.

That's what has happened. Without Lidstrom and with Zetts and Datsyuk deteriorating, he can't win anything. His reputation is entirely built on Holland's drafting luck more than a decade ago.

hockeyfanz*

:laugh: Where are all the haters on our forwards not being able to score??

I've said it all along - TC's defense is elite, their transition game is surreal, and even though the forwards weren't finishing as much their possession and cycle game was unmatched .. At no point in any game in this tournament did I feel a moment where we'd lose a game .. They just controlled the play so well even if the game was close

Great to see Toews and Sid lead the way today though when they needed to step it up most, and props to Kunitz for providing a big goal after all the **** he'd taken

What an epic performance by an amazing team. Class. Skill. Grit. Finesse. Awesome. The Best. Crosby, Toews, Price, Weber, Doughty et al. fantastic. They did Canada proud!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Canada.

Not odd at all. He's getting kudos he doesn't deserve.

Canada just went 6-0 in the Olympics and won Gold..

They surrendered a mere 3 goals in 6 games including shutting out the competition in the medal rounds.
&
They never trailed a single second in any game they played.

These are things no other previous team has ever accomplished.

What could Canada have done better, not let in those other 3 goals and be perfect posting 6 straight shutouts?

This was a performance for the ages that you are not likely to see another team duplicate any time soon. However I can see coaches all over using this system and using Canada as a role model for successful hockey.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ If I read it correctly, it was because Canada had such a talented group of players on the ice .. Babcock and the coaching staff had little to do with it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
^ If I read it correctly, it was because Canada had such a talented group of players on the ice .. Babcock and the coaching staff had little to do with it

Well then, could have saved a lot of time and just awarded Team Canada the Gold as part of the opening ceremonies if it was a foregone conclusion. :wg:

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
I'm sure lots of countries would like to be able to copy the "system"of having by far the best collection of players in the world to choose from.

Then they could probably win with Babcock coaching, too.

Last edited:

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Well then, could have saved a lot of time and just awarded Team Canada the Gold as part of the opening ceremonies if it was a foregone conclusion. :wg:

Then it would be just like the Corsi Cup wouldn't it? Well, maybe not because the oddsmakers were giving Canada better odds than Corsi prior to the tournament. I mean without a single shot into a single solitary shinpad the oddsmakers figured Canada would win 4 out of 5 times. It doesn't get a lot better than that. Or are the odds not important?

Looks like the experts knew Canada's talent level far exceeded the other nations before the Games began. It's not that hard.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm sure lots of countries would like to be able to copy the "system"of having by far the best collection of players in the world to choose from.

Then they could probably win with Babcock coaching, too.

Are you sure that you were cheering for Canada, and realize that they just won and World Championship?.

Your posts sound more like someone that was cheering for a team that got shutout 2 X in the medal rounds and not the one doing the shutting out. ;)

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Yes. Why can't someone critique a successful team? There's always room for improvement.

The talent on the team was the best in the world. Let's not go making the mistake of attributing that success to 'the system' or a coach who is made by the players.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yes. Why can't someone critique a successful team? There's always room for improvement.

The talent on the team was the best in the world. Let's not go making the mistake of attributing that success to 'the system' or a coach who is made by the players.

The only thing you could critique about Canada this tournament is that they lacked finish and couldn't score more goals ;) There really wasn't any improvement that needed to be done beyond that...

And when I say that it was a team effort - from the coaches to the players .. Everyone did their job, and did it well

My point is you can't place little weight on coaching when it in fact can make a big difference .. A good structured system can make any team competitive and catch more talented teams off guard if they're not careful .. Canada was careful in this tournament against teams like Norway and Finland who play that well structured hockey, in 2006 when the Swiss knocked out Canada it Torino that TC was not careful

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
If there wasn't a need for coaches, then why do professional sports clubs spend big $ on them in every sport? If they really had no barring on the results of games then don't you think that club owners would rather not spend big dollars on something that doesn't help your business?

We see a coaches effect on team's and players all the time. Look at the Leafs, we were one of, if not the least physical team under Wilson. When Randy took over we immediately became the most physical team and team's hated us for it. We also see it when players struggle under one coach then play great with someone else.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
If there wasn't a need for coaches, then why do professional sports clubs spend big $ on them in every sport? If they really had no barring on the results of games then don't you think that club owners would rather not spend big dollars on something that doesn't help your business?

We see a coaches effect on team's and players all the time. Look at the Leafs, we were one of, if not the least physical team under Wilson. When Randy took over we immediately became the most physical team and team's hated us for it. We also see it when players struggle under one coach then play great with someone else.

So if a team or a player is successful, we can surmise that their coach is good? But that would mean that Carlyle is a better coach than Wilson and a better coach than over 50% of the coaches in the NHL over the past two seasons. In fact, that would mean he's even better than Babcock. And that can't be because Carlyle is terrible.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

Said by those who don't know enough about the game to recognize a system or the adjustments that happen throughout the game.

Even in the gold medal game the Swedes were arguably outplaying us until a very clear and decisive change in strategy about half way through the first. The Swedes never countered the tactical change

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Said by those who don't know enough about the game to recognize a system or the adjustments that happen throughout the game.

Even in the gold medal game the Swedes were arguably outplaying us until a very clear and decisive change in strategy about half way through the first. The Swedes never countered the tactical change

The Swedes didn't have the talent to counter Canada's. Most of their most talented offensive players were out of the lineup.

Of course, even the Olympic Committee recognises the real contribution of the players versus the coaches and doesn't award the coaches with medals.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
The Swedes didn't have the talent to counter Canada's. Most of their most talented offensive players were out of the lineup.

Of course, even the Olympic Committee recognises the real contribution of the players versus the coaches and doesn't award the coaches with medals.

The whole staff get medals...

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I don't see how I'm a troll for pointing out the obvious. Babcock can barely get a team in the playoffs but is a "good" coach, while Carlyle is a bad coach and gets his team in the playoffs.

Looks to me like the talent of the teams is the difference in all cases. Canada has a lot of talent and won. Detroit's talent has been decreasing and so has their success. Carlyle's team clearly wins on talent (shooting percentage and save percentage) alone because he's not a good coach.

Talent will out.

Its the Carlyle is a bad coach part that is ridiculous lol

Either way your arguments are flimsy and ignores a plethora of examples of better teams losing out to lesser quality squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad