Remember the NHL "cracking down" on interference?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
There is definitely team bias involved in this. The California teams always seem to get away with murder when we play them. Don't know of this is anyone else's experience though - would be interested to hear.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
There is definitely team bias involved in this. The California teams always seem to get away with murder when we play them. Don't know of this is anyone else's experience though - would be interested to hear.

I dont know if its "team bias" as much as it is dictating games. I forgot where I saw it (might have even been on this forum) but a ref admitted that they put the whistle away sometimes because if they didnt it would mess with the flow of the game. If all calls were made we would have a pp every few minutes. I can see what they mean by that but isnt the point of PPs and penalties to stop a team from doing illegal plays? If they call them they wont do it as much. So its possible that putting the whistle away actually disrupts the flow of the games. When I hear that it sounds like dictating the games. Some penalties are penalties while some are not? Double standards much?

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Goals per Game are up this season to the highest they've been since the lockout, and higher than any other season since 95-96. And that's without a significant jump in PPG (slightly higher than the last 5 years, still lower than any season prior to that - though PP% is higher than it's been in 30 years). I'm not a big fan of interference, but if these numbers can trend, I'll learn to ignore it.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Urban myth, the fact they have been pretty good for awhile, people quickly point to league bias and thus must be allowed more leeway with the rules.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Refs too sleepy

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Good gawd, I see 10 incidents a game that should be called but are not, and many more that could be called..
yeah because in the stretch for the playoffs what EVERYONE wants is an endless parade to the penalty box where every game is decided by special teams.

let me save you the bother of feigning surprise, when the playoffs start, its gonna get worse ( or better depending on your perspective).

let em play

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Goals per Game are up this season to the highest they've been since the lockout, and higher than any other season since 95-96. And that's without a significant jump in PPG (slightly higher than the last 5 years, still lower than any season prior to that - though PP% is higher than it's been in 30 years). I'm not a big fan of interference, but if these numbers can trend, I'll learn to ignore it.

You bring up an interesting point, though I'm not entirely convinced that this season isn't an outlier. There weren't any significant rule changes from the last few years and out of nowhere comes this scoring boom.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good gawd, I see 10 incidents a game that should be called but are not, and many more that could be called..

The league sticks to these "tougher enforcement of the rules" mandates for about the first two months of the season. Then from about mid-to-late December on, it's back to everything goes.

That's why the NHL is a joke of a league when it comes to officiating (and that doesn't even touch on video reviews for goalie interference making its officiating look even worse).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad