Remarkable Year for Senators Prospects/Farm Team

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It's one thing to have an amazing farm team, it's another thing when they are the youngest in the AHL.

Senators farm team and some key prospects have had phenomenal years.

Mike Hoffman, 24, made the first all-star team even though missing 20+ games but finishing with 30 goals and 67 points in 51 games and 8th overall in the league.

DaCosta, 24, finished over PPG with 58 points in 56 games and +19 what has been impressive with DaCosta is more refined overall game but still staying offensively dangerous.

Cole Schneider, 23, also one of the better surprised this year scoring 54 in 69 with +14 rating and great all around game.

Then you got Puempel scoring 30 in his first full pro season, 21 years old.

Prince scoring 21 goals 48 points in 68 games with +23, 21 years old.

Pageau scoring 44 in 46, 21 years old

Stone scoring over PPG with 41 in 37, 21 years old

Claesson 29 points +37(2nd in AHL) 21 years old

Then you got the Robinsons, Grants, Widemans(who has emerged as big time PP and offensive defender finishing 4th in league in scoring), Boros, Sdaos.

I'm not gonna mention Ceci cause he's already top 4 in Ottawa, lol.

Outside of the pros:

We already know of the big splashes being made by Lazar this year playing phenomenal hockey in WHL, WJC and so far in the playoffs. Lazar is 18.

Vincent Dunn has had a great, great year. Scoring 30 goals and 51 points in 50 games as a huge pest(156 PIM) and added 9 points in 9 playoff games. Dunn is only 18.

Ryan Dzingel, one of the best surprises, finished with 46 points in 37 games and +17 and was finalist for hobey baker award as best collegiate hockey player. He comes over to the AHL and scored 7 points in 9 games. Dzingel is 22.

McCormick, Dzingel's teammate, finished with 35 points in 37 games, 21 years old.

Over in Sweden, Mikael Vikstrand didn't miss a beat from his excellent year last year scoring 20 points in only 27 games and was one of the best defenders in the league, due to contract termination he moved up the SHL and didn't miss a beat scoring 11 in 19 points and adding 2 points in 7 playoff games. He's 20.

Ben Harpur, 6'6 imposing shutdown defender, finished with 16 points in 67 games with +34 rating. In the playoffs, he currently has 4 points in 12 games with +15 rating(3rd in OHL)

Hogberg, 19 year old, 6'5 swedish goaltending giant, had a mediocre year until he was called up to the SHL where he posted 1 GAA and .960 SV% in 4 games. He followed it with .913 SV% in 11 playoff games. He also had a shutout in his only WJC start.

Dreidger also had .918 sv% in 50 games for the WHL's Hitmen finishing 5th in WHL and was 8th in wins with 28. Bad playoffs though for his standards. Also only 19.

Senators season may have been a disappointment, but the prospects have stepped up HUGE in a big way across all leagues. Stay tuned for upcoming BSens cup run! As well as Lazar and Harpur's playoff progressions.

John Holmes*

More like Wiercioch and Cowen and their stupid contracts.

Injuries happen though. So do trades.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Of the guys who have not been up with the big club yet, I'm the most stoked about Claesson. I have a gut feeling he is going to be a special player.

Ditto. He won't blow you away with anything, but will be solid, responsible D that glues the whole corps together. Best D in Bingo right now.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm really excited about Puempel and Boro. We could have really used Boro this year imo. Guy looks like he'll do whatever it takes and you can tell he has a real fire in him. To quote Boro " I like to hit and fight".... of course after saying this he proceeded to take penalties every time he hit someone hard even on clean checks.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wish Claesson becomes good enough to play in the NHL. His smile/laugh is infectious. Should be a good character guy.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I remember watching an interview with Pierre Dorion a couple years ago, and he said that he believed Hoffman had some of the highest potential of all their prospect pool. I'm with him, I know Hoffman didn't put up a ton of points this year, but I see a guy that has taken time to adjust to every league he's been in and I think he's gonna be a very solid complimentary offensive player for us. I like what I saw from him this year.

I've seen quite a few trade proposals with Hoff in them, but I really hope BM gives him a chance to see if he can translate his game to the NHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
if we can find a way to get stewart without giving up hoffman it would be great

not sure if we can though and i think we need a forward like stewart just has more size and has good speed

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
if we can find a way to get stewart without giving up hoffman it would be great

not sure if we can though and i think we need a forward like stewart just has more size and has good speed

We have plenty of assets to choose from, there's no reason it has to be Hoffman.

I'd prefer to throw money at Callahan than trade for Stewart. Stewart is just another guy to add to our UFA summer from hell next year. If he plays well, we have to give him big dollars after next year or let him walk cuz we can't afford him. If he doesn't play well, we wasted assets and may let him walk anyways.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You forgot to list Filatov.

What would I do without you, Benny?

In 35 games in KHL, 13 goals 7 assists 20 points. 1 goal in 5 playoff games, 23 years old.

I remember watching an interview with Pierre Dorion a couple years ago, and he said that he believed Hoffman had some of the highest potential of all their prospect pool. I'm with him, I know Hoffman didn't put up a ton of points this year, but I see a guy that has taken time to adjust to every league he's been in and I think he's gonna be a very solid complimentary offensive player for us. I like what I saw from him this year.

I've seen quite a few trade proposals with Hoff in them, but I really hope BM gives him a chance to see if he can translate his game to the NHL.

To be quite honest I remember Hoffman always struggling or looking completely lost/lacking in almost every league he first started in. However, when he settled down, he became one of the best players/the best at every level.

He won CHL award as best player, probably would have been MVP and won scoring title if he stayed in AHL too.

Not saying he will be best player in NHL :sarcasm: but I definitely see where Dorion is going with his thoughts. He can be a potentially powerful impact player if he booms instead of busts. I'd be thrilled if he can be a mainstay on our top 6. He just needs to get stronger, imo.

A huge off-season will go an enormous way to help Hoffman for next year and to take that next step.

His speed, shot, instincts and even passing are at elite levels.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

In 35 games in KHL, 13 goals 7 assists 20 points. 1 goal in 5 playoff games, 23 years old.

To be quite honest I remember Hoffman always struggling or looking completely lost/lacking in almost every league he first started in. However, when he settled down, he became one of the best players/the best at every level.

He won CHL award as best defender, probably would have been MVP and won scoring title if he stayed in AHL too.

Not saying he will be best player in NHL :sarcasm: but I definitely see where Dorion is going with his thoughts. He can be a potentially powerful impact player if he booms instead of busts. I'd be thrilled if he can be a mainstay on our top 6. He just needs to get stronger, imo.

A huge off-season will go an enormous way to help Hoffman for next year and to take that next step.

All true. I liked his work on the PP, and I think he can be a mainstay there in the future. Love his speed and tenacity on the backcheck.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

He won CHL award as best player, probably would have been MVP and won scoring title if he stayed in AHL too.

Well he will certainly be a 40/40 guy based on your evaluation! :laugh:
Elite???? come on he isn't that good. He is a good skater, has a hard but not so accurate shot and has very average hockey instincts.(Stone has far better instincts) Hoffman is already 24 so he is not some 20 year old that is going to develop a lot. I peg him as a good third liner that might be a 20/20 guy. That's it.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I'm frustrated by the teams treatment of Da Costa. That little stint he had before the olympics where he basically won us 3 games was amazing, then he gets sent down to the AHL and never gets to return.

It seems like we have a lot of good players coming up that aren't going to get chances for awhile. It rubs me the wrong way because I'm all about developing players properly, but at the same time you need to win games. It's ok to leave guys in the AHL if your NHL team is making the playoffs every year, it's not ok if you have guys that can win you games in the AHL, but they don't get a chance because of pluggers on the NHL team.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
SDC is stuck in a numbers game

He's not big or strong enough to be a winger and our current NHL centers are better than him at their role

If he keeps up his play he'll be a nice asset to have and could help us get the D we need for Ottawa

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well he will certainly be a 40/40 guy based on your evaluation! :laugh:
Elite???? come on he isn't that good. He is a good skater, has a hard but not so accurate shot and has very average hockey instincts.(Stone has far better instincts) Hoffman is already 24 so he is not some 20 year old that is going to develop a lot. I peg him as a good third liner that might be a 20/20 guy. That's it.

I'd say 20/20 is near where I expect him to fall, maybe 20/30 if he's top 6. I don't expect him to be a superstar, but he's definitely good enough to be a 5th or 6th top 6 producing forward on the team. Just a nice complimentary winger like Mac or Mich.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
SDC is stuck in a numbers game

He's not big or strong enough to be a winger and our current NHL centers are better than him at their role

If he keeps up his play he'll be a nice asset to have and could help us get the D we need for Ottawa

I have a feeling Murray might let him walk this summer. He did something similar a couple years back when he let Cody Bass and a couple others leave as RFAs to teams with less depth.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see room for Da Costa with our depth at the NHL and AHL.

He needs to pass one of Spezza, Turris, Zibinejad, Smith while competing with Pageau, Lazar, Grant, Prince all of whom are younger and shown NHL potential.

John Holmes*

The thing about Hoffman that really impressed me was his defensive play.

His awareness is just fine if you ask me.

Stone does have far better instincts, but that should only raise Stone's profile, not diminish Hoffman's.

I like him, and obviously he fits into the future plan in some way (even if as trade bait) or they would have sent him back to Bingo.

It's a shame he can't go on a playoff run down there.

Dzingel just set off my radar. I'm very impressed with what little I've seen so far.

Prince has quietly put up a pretty solid season too.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
i never worry about the team when it comes to drafting. they're a top 10 team in this league when it comes to drafting and scouting young talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad