Proposal: Remaining FA targets

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not sure Stajan garners a 3rd let alone a 1st. That's crazy talk and you're just setting yourself up for a significant disappointment.

GMs look for certain pieces at the deadline going into the playoffs. Stajan is not a guy who will float and moan being on a 3rd or 4th line. And where injuries happen, Stajan can play a major top six role as long as he has skill on his wing.

Stajan is one of those guys cup teams need. I see players taken at the deadline who can't handle being a depth guy very well and it hurts the team. I think Stajan would be a good deadline selling piece if he can put up good numbers in the regular season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

19) Forum Specific Rules: Please check the sticky threads at the top of each forum for any forum specific rules. Make sure you read the Lounge Manifesto, and posting requirements for the Trade Rumors forum. For all forums, you may reply to a partial quote, but quotes by other members are not to be edited.

:sarcasm:

please don't ban me.

I have some serious doubt's about Feaster garnering anything of value for Stajan.

Trae

Calgary
I think Stajan will gather interest. He'll play on the bottom line with no complaints or he'll put up 50pts in the top 6. He's perfect for a team that is making a cup run and needs good depth. Maybe he'll even snag a first

It's a joke you continue to think this, I am a huge Stajan fan, but that is not his value.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm not sure Stajan garners a 3rd let alone a 1st. That's crazy talk and you're just setting yourself up for a significant disappointment.

I think he's worth a 2nd, and I'm a pretty big detractor of his. He's the kind of piece that teams often need to push themselves further into the playoffs; he's effective as a bottom 6 centre, is decent at faceoffs, and isn't completely terrible as a top 6 fill-in if need be. He's one of the most vanilla hockey players imaginable, but he's got no real negative traits aside from being a little soft on the puck. Versatility is the kind of thing that a team needs in its depth players in case of injuries, and Stajan brings that (albeit at a mediocre level).

Also, if Douglas "Pylon" Murray is worth two 2nds, Stajan should damn well be worth at least one (and in a fair world he'd be worth more than what Murray got).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Stajan a first? Yikes.

If the stars all align properly and the hockey gods finally smile upon the lowly flames... We get a second. Most likely a third or meh prospect.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
After reading the article about Brule getting over his problems and getting in better shape, I really wouldn't mind seeing him on a tryout.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
After reading the article about Brule getting over his problems and getting in better shape, I really wouldn't mind seeing him on a tryout.

I think he'd be redundant in our organization, as much as it would be a feel-good story.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We cannot trade Stajan as of now, but that may change at the deadline. I won't speculate on his value until then. It depends on his production and how the next draft is rated. I do know this, he will be a top 6 center on our team and will play in every situation, hopefully he does well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he'd be redundant in our organization, as much as it would be a feel-good story.
Just because he is offered a tryout doesn't mean he will be offered a contract. I'm with tmurf, I say give Brule a tryout, get some positive press for helping him on his comeback and if he performs well offer him an AHL contract and give him the chance through the year to earn an NHL deal.

Abbotsford is going to be a very young team this year, adding an NHL veteran would be good for them

Gary83*

Just another trade chip if he plays well, either allows you to move someone else or you move him.

Last Oiler reject worked out pretty well for us.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Just because he is offered a tryout doesn't mean he will be offered a contract. I'm with tmurf, I say give Brule a tryout, get some positive press for helping him on his comeback and if he performs well offer him an AHL contract and give him the chance through the year to earn an NHL deal.

Abbotsford is going to be a very young team this year, adding an NHL veteran would be good for them

And Brule was a pretty good player at times. Id be for this.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Is Brule really that much better than any of the centers we currently have? He's not better than Backlund or Stajan. We're prepared to give Knight and Reinhart roster spots. Where does he fit in?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Right, if we're assuming he'd be willing to play in the AHL. I think that if he's really past his issues, there are teams who would be willing to have him compete for an NHL job, including Vancouver, where he is living, and where he played his junior and had the best years of his hockey life.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Right, if we're assuming he'd be willing to play in the AHL. I think that if he's really past his issues, there are teams who would be willing to have him compete for an NHL job, including Vancouver, where he is living, and where he played his junior and had the best years of his hockey life.

No question there will be teams that give him a PTO. Upon further consideration, I'm not sure the Flames are the best organization for trying to rejuvenate careers given their rebuild.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is Brule really that much better than any of the centers we currently have? He's not better than Backlund or Stajan. We're prepared to give Knight and Reinhart roster spots. Where does he fit in?
No one is suggesting handing him a roster spot. But while he is listed as a center he has also spent most of his NHL as a RW

Right, if we are assuming someone is going to give him a NHL contract. I think that if he is really past his issues, he would be willing to start in the AHL and work up to an NHL job, including Aootsford which is near where he is living, and where he played his junior and had the best years of his hockey life.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Right, if we are assuming someone is going to give him a NHL contract. I think that if he is really past his issues, he would be willing to start in the AHL and work up to an NHL job, including Aootsford which is near where he is living, and where he played his junior and had the best years of his hockey life.

:laugh:

I don't think anyone really needs to get their back up about this. If he decides to sign a PTO with us, let me just say I will just be extremely surprised.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I'm not a stajan fan and I don't think he will get a 1st, but how did Gaustad get a 1st if he can then maybe there's hope for a high pick for stajan.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not a stajan fan and I don't think he will get a 1st, but how did Gaustad get a 1st if he can then maybe there's hope for a high pick for stajan.

Let me be clear, I don't think he'll get a first either. I also look at who's negotiating the deals.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:laugh:

I don't think anyone really needs to get their back up about this. If he decides to sign a PTO with us, let me just say I will just be extremely surprised.
my back isn't up, I actually was going for the laugh. But in the report released it said that Brule is looking to resurrect his career and actually stated he was looking for a camp invite, which means PTO. As someone who has had depression impact them directly, I would be proud for the Flames to help him by giving him a tryout. It would be wonderful if he signed a deal with the Heat, but even if he had a good enough showing to earn an NHL deal elsewhere I would be happy for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
my back isn't up, I actually was going for the laugh. But in the report released it said that Brule is looking to resurrect his career and actually stated he was looking for a camp invite, which means PTO. As someone who has had depression impact them directly, I would be proud for the Flames to help him by giving him a tryout. It would be wonderful if he signed a deal with the Heat, but even if he had a good enough showing to earn an NHL deal elsewhere I would be happy for him.

Right. My argument was really that Brule could do better than the Flames (in terms of a fit and giving him an NHL shot), not that the Flames could do better than Brule. If he signs and plays here, he'd be a great guy to get behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad