Proposal: Remaining FA targets

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Peter Mueller- I remember a few on this board wanting to sign him last season but were a bit worries if he could return to form from injury. He returned to Florida played decent, and played primarily center. He is still 25 and proved last year he may finally be healthy as he only missed 5 games. He could be a decent pickup seeing as we don't have much C depth, especially if we trade Cammalerri, in which case I believe Mueller's fit on the team grows.

Marc Fistric- Big mean Defencman that is reasonably young and could be a good #4 paired with wideman. With him and O'brien on the blueline it will be tough in front of the net.

Damien Brunner- may come a bit pricey but he is a young RW capable of playing consistent top 6 mins, something besides hudler we don't have. He is a country man of Baertchi and I think that along with money and a good chance at playing in the top 6 would be enough to lure Brunner here.

Colten Teubert- Not too long ago was considered a top prospect. Things didnt work out in Edmonton but he is still big and young and still has some potential, hopefully a change of scenary will help get him on the right path.

This are my targets if I was GM. Am I missing anyone? And what are your guys thoughts on the players I have listed?

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
More developing, less signing other teams trash.

Agreed, the only way I'd be ok with a FA signing is if we were shipping someone out for futures. We have enough vets to shelter the kids now.

If Cammaleri was dealt or someone blows your doors off for Giordano then I'd look at it.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
The way our top-4 looks right now, it's going to be Giordano, Wideman, Brodie and who? Butler? Isn't there a better defenseman than Butler out there? Going forward, our fastest replacement will probably be... Cundari? If we deal Giordano then we will still have a gaping hole in the top 4, perhaps two if none of our prospects play in the NHL at that point.

Oh and it probably would not hurt to get a 4th line center, just a tough guy I guess, not sure who is available. If we have Cammalleri play on the wing like he should, we have Stajan, Backlund, Knight and ???.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
At the end of the day, there is maybe only one player in Grabo still out there that actually fits a role Calgary needs. At the end of the day, the remaining FAs are mostly filler talent... Something which Calgary has ridiculous amounts of.

I'd like Mueller, except at the end of the day... We already have enough mid tier center depth and no top tier center depth. SOB more or less closed the door on needing Fistric.

Dunno, the FA pool is very thin since the gms threw tons of money on marginal players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The way our top-4 looks right now, it's going to be Giordano, Wideman, Brodie and who? Butler? Isn't there a better defenseman than Butler out there? Going forward, our fastest replacement will probably be... Cundari? If we deal Giordano then we will still have a gaping hole in the top 4, perhaps two if none of our prospects play in the NHL at that point.

Oh and it probably would not hurt to get a 4th line center, just a tough guy I guess, not sure who is available. If we have Cammalleri play on the wing like he should, we have Stajan, Backlund, Knight and ???.

In my opinion, O'Brien is better than Butler, but time will tell.

Trae

Calgary
At the end of the day, there is maybe only one player in Grabo still out there that actually fits a role Calgary needs. At the end of the day, the remaining FAs are mostly filler talent... Something which Calgary has ridiculous amounts of.

I'd like Mueller, except at the end of the day... We already have enough mid tier center depth and no top tier center depth. SOB more or less closed the door on needing Fistric.

Dunno, the FA pool is very thin since the gms threw tons of money on marginal players.

At the end of the day... I concur, many of the remaining FA's just aren't a good fit for us. We need to be targeting players through trade, and it sounds like that is what management is doing.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Colten Teubert would be alright, sure.

Grabovski should be #1 on Feaster's sights.

I don't see a point in Mueller or Brunner.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

Grabovski should be #1 on Feaster's sights.

I don't see a point in Mueller or Brunner.

Meh, I'm not sure Grabo is the answer either. If we sign him it will have term. The only reason I woul think about signing him is if he is he'll bent on proving the Laughs wrong for buying him out.

I'm thinking that Feaster isn't to keen on signing him over 2 years. Who knows? Maybe Backlund and Stajan actually play good in the 1st/2nd role, leaving knight and Monohan/Horak to fill out the other lines. Signing Grabo will effect the opportunity given to our guys. Unless we are bringing in a for sure young 1/2 center with decent contract....I don't even think Grabo is the answer. Plus....I think Feaster would have signed him by now. Feaster is usually quite quick with these things.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What? Why? Reclamation project? To warm the bench in Abbotsford? With the Billins signing and the chance to have Culkin go pro this year makes Tuebert an after thought IMO. If Culkin stays in the Q then maybe sign him to an AHL deal to be a 6/7 defenseman with the Heat, but anything more is a gross miscalculation.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Meh, I'm not sure Grabo is the answer either. If we sign him it will have term. The only reason I woul think about signing him is if he is he'll bent on proving the Laughs wrong for buying him out.

I'm thinking that Feaster isn't to keen on signing him over 2 years. Who knows? Maybe Backlund and Stajan actually play good in the 1st/2nd role, leaving knight and Monohan/Horak to fill out the other lines. Signing Grabo will effect the opportunity given to our guys. Unless we are bringing in a for sure young 1/2 center with decent contract....I don't even think Grabo is the answer. Plus....I think Feaster would have signed him by now. Feaster is usually quite quick with these things.

If Grabo works out, I would be for trading Stajan. It would help the rebuild

May 27, 2012
Earth
I wouldn't mind Grabovski. I think under Hartley he would benefit greatly. In Toronto he was put on the third line playing a defensive role...asset mismanagement. It's just like when JBo produced like a madman when Harltley came.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Tell me how grabovski a 29 year old, almost 30 year old who is going to require lots of term and $ is better for the rebuild than any of the guys I listed

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Tell me how grabovski a 29 year old, almost 30 year old who is going to require lots of term and $ is better for the rebuild than any of the guys I listed
Why is it that every time someone disagrees with you, you take offense to it?

Mueller doesn't strike me as the type of player this team needs. A center he may be, but aside from that I don't know anything about him. This is all speculation.

Fistric is a guy I wouldn't mind, though I don't think there's space for him.

Brunner is small and not physical.

Teubert is unnecessary with our glut of similar defensemen already in the organization. Would rather give our own guys a shot first.

And I don't want Grabovski.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why is it that every time someone disagrees with you, you take offense to it?

I noticed this, too. I don't know why you'd set up a thread if all you hoped to achieve was instant mass agreement. I thought maybe tone had been misrepresented by typeface.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
At least he plays a position that the Flames don't already have depth at with similar players. As others point out - he doesn't suck either.

To further clarify: The Flames don't need more wingers or bottom three defensemen.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I noticed this, too. I don't know why you'd set up a thread if all you hoped to achieve was instant mass agreement. I thought maybe tone had been misrepresented by typeface.

I don't take offence to it at all actually. When people disagree with me I just like them to further explain to me why they disagree with me, I am a huge hockey fan and i like to think i know alot abouy the curret players in the NHL and I am interested in other people's opinions and see how the differ from mine.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Thats the thing. Grabo and Backlund likely would end up occupying the 1st and 2nd line slots.

Can't see Stajan putting up 40 on the 3rd line. Maybe if he is excellent defensively he can bring back a 2nd though.

I think Stajan will gather interest. He'll play on the bottom line with no complaints or he'll put up 50pts in the top 6. He's perfect for a team that is making a cup run and needs good depth. Maybe he'll even snag a first

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think Stajan will gather interest. He'll play on the bottom line with no complaints or he'll put up 50pts in the top 6. He's perfect for a team that is making a cup run and needs good depth for a cup run. Maybe he'll even snag a first

Maybe Feaster should go back to school first and learn how to bargain... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad