Pre-Game Talk: Release the Kraken

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Is there confirmation that Drai isn't playing or just speculation based on what Woodcroft said in his press conference?

No Drai ? Incoming 30+ min of ice time for McDavid two nights in a row.
Well at least that would mean he'd be free of Puljujarvi for 10 mins of it a night. Only positive there.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
QLOkGGO3u5ckralBCK37KxUs4O8=.gif
Go Oilers!
Lmao did that to my co worker the other day

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is there confirmation that Drai isn't playing or just speculation based on what Woodcroft said in his press conference?

Well at least that would mean he'd be free of Puljujarvi for 10 mins of it a night. Only positive there.

No confirmation. Probably know at the morning skate if both he and Barrie are skating as both missed 2 practices in a row and the skills comp. (which counts as a valid practice in Woodcraft's eyes)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was watching Drai carefully last game, I kinda figured he was about to take a some time off. He was looking slow AF and his stride was way off.
Drai went to the tunnel and dressing room. Clearly something was off. But then he came back on the PP. I don't know what it was. McD was patting him on the back for coming back out. Looked to be some concern.

I wonder how much we haven't been told on what is occurring and the prognosis. We always seem to get news when season is over. Same injury as last season or is it a compounding injury of some sort making the sprain worse. Thats the thing, and I can't give blanket acceptance when a medical team says that playing through won't make a situation worse. As somebody that has had injuries your mechanics, everything from walking, running, going up stairs, skating, everything changes, your stride changes when you are working out through injury. Often times people even develop difficulty with the other leg which ends up doing most of the work.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Draisaitl seems to be a guy who can manage pain. I still don't know how he played as well as he did in the playoffs.
After all the studies I’ve read about the awful effects of cortisone shots I really hope he isn’t playing through pain that way.. I have a theory Klefbom’s arthritis was accelerated by those stupid shots and stupid doctors

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Draisaitl seems to be a guy who can manage pain. I still don't know how he played as well as he did in the playoffs.
German stoicism. heh. Kind of jk but in real world experience growing up raised by German parents the basic message is you don't miss school or work unless Gabriel and the Angels are hovering nearby. If dad had the flu oncoming he would just down most of a 26 of rye right after dinner, He said "that will kill any germ" and he'd go to bed, sleep it out, and work next morning as a stonemason. He wouldn't miss work through injury or illness except when he broke his back. Then he missed work because he couldn't physically get out of bed and was in the hospital. Although he'd try to.

This similar thing existed a lot in Canada too maybe until recently. For better or worse people would go to work unless they physically couldn't. Pandemic has taught some other approaches regarding that. But Canadian Stoicism was quite a thing to behold. Whether that be in our military, our blue collar workers, our hockey players etc. Images of Rocket Richard just maimed in a fight going back out there immediately for OT and scoring winning goals.

Work through injuries was the mode. "Its just a flesh wound"

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Lmao did that to my co worker the other day
Paperwork from HR is coming next week.

German stoicism. heh. Kind of jk but in real world experience growing up raised by German parents the basic message is you don't miss school or work unless Gabriel and the Angels are hovering nearby. If dad had the flu oncoming he would just down most of a 26 of rye right after dinner, He said "that will kill any germ" and he'd go to work next morning as a stonemason. He wouldn't miss work through injury or illness except when he broke his back. Then he missed work because he couldn't physically get out of bed and was in the hospital. Although he'd try to.

This similar thing existed a lot in Canada too maybe until recently. For better or worse people would go to work unless they physically couldn't. Pandemic has taught some other approaches regarding that. But Canadian Stoicism was quite a thing to behold. Whether that be in our military, our blue collar workers, our hockey players etc. Images of Rocket Richard just maimed in a fight going back out there immediately for OT and scoring winning goals.

Work through injuries was the mode. "Its just a flesh wound"
Aka Protestant Work Ethic.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Paperwork from HR is coming next week.

Aka Protestant Work Ethic.
Sorry about the dumb post. I'm drunk with Coffee and will write anything this morn if theres such a thing.

I need another OT thread quick like.

I might even have to go on twitter or mainboards to write something about something. dread dread. ;)

mind you this thread is taking all kinds of curious turns.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Draisaitl and Barrie are out I think we get absolutely pummeled. like 6-3, Mcdavid still gets a couple points. Unless Skinner is the starter and can steal us a game like he did vs Calgary.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
After all the studies I’ve read about the awful effects of cortisone shots I really hope he isn’t playing through pain that way.. I have a theory Klefbom’s arthritis was accelerated by those stupid shots and stupid doctors
I've had this exact thought so many times for both Klef & Drai

people call NBA athletes soft for taking nights off for minor things but its stupid to inject yourself with painkillers to seem like a tough guy who can play through things which your body physically cant

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Knowing the Oilers this year we probably lose the more important game against the lesser team in the Krackheads tonight. Then put together a solid effort and win against the better team but less important game Jets tomorrow.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've had this exact thought so many times for both Klef & Drai

people call NBA athletes soft for taking nights off for minor things but its stupid to inject yourself with painkillers to seem like a tough guy who can play through things which your body physically cant
WE don't know its the case. I sure hope its not the case. I could only see this scenario being considered beneficial to team results in postseason where you put everything on the line to get a series win. It shouldn't be occurring to the degree during the dregs of an 82 game season.

But the thought I can't escape is that even the possibility of Drai status being questionable means that something has increased in severity. At this point the only good news is if Drai perhaps has a bad flu or virus and is incapacitated that way. If he's projected missing because of his injury(s) that is of course brutal news. We likely won't know.

Knowing the Oilers this year we probably lose the more important game against the lesser team in the Krackheads tonight. Then put together a solid effort and win against the better team but less important game Jets tomorrow.
We're facing the Maginot line of 4 games above .500 shooting to be 5 again tonight. I think in 5 opportunities to scale that wall this season we've lost every time. This post is tongue and cheek btw. There shouldn't be this much problem with imaginary lines. But hey Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad