GDT: REJOICE! Your New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shutout, Anderson first goal, S.S. Blake (Super Sexy) scores a goal and two bottles of wine during the seasons first snow...

I couldn't possibly draw up a better night

Vat not getting hurt would have been nice.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This too.

Vatanen is the worst possible Devil to get injured, though I would accept Hall as an acceptable rebuttal. Either way, it's bad.

Kinkaid's not too far off from either at this point as much because of Cory being trapped in the tenth ring of hell and the utter lack of organization depth behind them as Keith's own play.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Kinkaid's not too far off from either at this point more because of Cory being in the tenth ring of hell and the utter lack of organization depth behind them.

I'm not down on Cory yet.

Guy had multiple injuries and hasnt played all that much hockey in the last year, plus missed the entire preseason, only gets 2 games in Binghamton, then gets thrown to the wolves when the Devils are playing abysmal defense to boot. If he's poor in his next 4 or 5 starts, then I'll worry.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
nVlkNul.png

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Kinkaid's not too far off from either at this point as much because of Cory being trapped in the tenth ring of hell and the utter lack of organization depth behind them as Keith's own play.
If Kinkaid gets injured and Cory becomes our starter I can stop working and make a living betting on the Devils losing every game Cory starts.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only postin what he tweeted.
Oh no, I know, I'm honestly asking in general. I've seen a couple people save LJ got it, and now that twitter post, I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but all I see in that replay is KKs stick getting knocked back from the impact.

Reactions: glenwo2 and Nubmer6

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think the Devils themselves internally have that trust of Kinkaid yet. There are still too many bad goals, too many ugly outings with him that spiral out of control. I think they see him as a very good backup who can look like a starter sometimes and then remind you what he really is. I love the guy but I don't know if he's going to be one of those late blooming starters. Cory is going to get a lot more chances and they will make sure 100% that the old .920 type starter is gone for good (which I believe he is)

When you describe Kinkaid isn't that the description of Schneider but only worse?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Oh no, I know, I'm honestly asking in general. I've seen a couple people save LJ got it, and now that twitter post, I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but all I see in that replay is KKs stick getting knocked back from the impact.

After watching it a bunch of times, ( until I questioned why I'm wasting my time) I think it ticks off Lovejoy's stick, slightly changes direction, then deflects off Kinkaid's stick.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No but from here on in he pretty much shouldn't play anything other than a back-to-back either. Of course watch him play on Sunday and get thrown to the wolves again on a back to back. But what else can Hynes do...playing Cory the more winnable front game against Detroit could be a disaster.
I'd play Keith on Sunday too. Let us climb back above .500 first. Cory has looked like Marty Turco in the alumni game during his last two games and was very poor in what was a winnable game against Detroit with two poor goals against. I'm not sure we can afford to play him right now, but like I said, one day he's bound to have a game where he allows only 1 or 2 goals just on accident. Like with 4 post hits (like tonight) and a brutal stickhandling giveaway that leads to a goal against and one other goal on a dead angle that slips through the 5-hole, but just 2 goals against. I keep waiting for that to happen, but it seems that the playoff series was the only time that happened, although I do think he legit played well in those games and it wasn't mostly luck. But I keep waiting for it now and it never happens.

Even the bad goalies have good games on accident sometimes. Marty had 3 shutouts in his last season here and had 3 shutouts in the MacLean error, which was probably the worst short term stretch of his career from December 2010 to January 2011 when he benched himself.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll never get how it hitting the post a bunch can be a knock. A post has never in the history of the game "saved" a goal. If it hit the post, it wasn't going in...

Sure there was some sloppy points, but down our most important D man for more than half the game, missing some other key players AND playing against the flyers, I wouldn't expect anything more than a sloppy, chirpy, crap shoot win. I thought the Devils played great everything considered.

And KK did amazing, he didn't let a single puck in the net legally. That's a shutout no matter how you slice it.
Fair enough, but I don't necessarily agree that a post hit means it wasn't going in, as we've seen and heard shots hit the post and go in instead of stay out. It does happen sometimes, even if not more times than not when a puck does hit the post.

That said, I think we played a poor game tonight. Tonight's game was pretty much like the Winnipeg game, only with post shots instead of actual goals and the removal of the soft goals allowed. It may not have been that bad (the start wasn't as poor), but it was closer to that than the way we wanna play.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
After watching it a bunch of times, ( until I questioned why I'm wasting my time) I think it ticks off Lovejoy's stick, slightly changes direction, then deflects off Kinkaid's stick.
That's very possible, hard to tell from that angle. I'm just going off the fact that they are both holding their sticks with one hand and LJs stick doesn't appear to move at all while KKs is knocked back dramatically. Adding that LJs stick is a fraction of the weight of KKs.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter at all, but it would be nice to see a Devil in the "SOY" category.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Fair enough, but I don't necessarily agree that a post hit means it wasn't going in, as we've seen and heard shots hit the post and go in instead of stay out. It does happen sometimes, even if not more times than not when a puck does hit the post.

That said, I think we played a poor game tonight. Tonight's game was pretty much like the Winnipeg game, only with post shots instead of actual goals and the removal of the soft goals allowed. It may not have been that bad (the start wasn't as poor), but it was closer to that than the way we wanna play.
Yea that true, but if it hits the post and goes in, it is going in, if it hits the post and doesn't, it was just never going in the net. Do I think a goalie is good enough to know how much net they are covering down to a fraction of an inch? No. But it still says something when he has the flyers picking corners and top shelf and missing.

The only slow mo replay I saw of any of them is when the Flyers guys were ranting about all the posts being hit and ended up showing a replay of KK getting a enough of it to deflect it to the post. Was nice to hear them stop mid rant and go "oh, well, he got that one."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad