GDT: REJOICE! Your New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
a missed shot on goal id usually at most a few inches from dinging the post but no one cares and calls the shooter a bum.

Reactions: devilsblood

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
No but from here on in he pretty much shouldn't play anything other than a back-to-back either. Of course watch him play on Sunday and get thrown to the wolves again on a back to back. But what else can Hynes do...playing Cory the more winnable front game against Detroit could be a disaster.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think the Devils themselves internally have that trust of Kinkaid yet. There are still too many bad goals, too many ugly outings with him that spiral out of control. I think they see him as a very good backup who can look like a starter sometimes and then remind you what he really is. I love the guy but I don't know if he's going to be one of those late blooming starters. Cory is going to get a lot more chances and they will make sure 100% that the old .920 type starter is gone for good (which I believe he is)

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
if zacha had a breakaway toward an open... he’d tap it gently enough that it lands on the goal line but not completely over. a defenseman would then clear the puck.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and Blender

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think the Devils themselves internally have that trust of Kinkaid yet. There are still too many bad goals, too many ugly outings with him that spiral out of control. I think they see him as a very good backup who can look like a starter sometimes and then remind you what he really is. I love the guy but I don't know if he's going to be one of those late blooming starters. Cory is going to get a lot more chances and they will make sure 100% that the old .920 type starter is gone for good (which I believe he is)

why though?

3 shutouts 2.60 gaa and .917 save % this season.

has won games singlehandily.

has clearly been a number one since cory went down last year.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

I think your dead wrong and it's actually reverse. Both hynes and shero said last offseason that cory needed to step it up and didnt meet expectations. If you still think Cory's better that's on you, bc the eye test says otherwise and has for over a year. Eye test has shown cory decline after his good 1st year. Even stats (which imo are useless and mean 0 for a goalie) are better for kk last year and obv this year by all metrics.
The reason I think Hynes has more faith in kk over the yrs..... a few seasons ago we played the isles to remain in the playoff race.... he went with kk bc he makes clutch saves. Last season he benched cory over kk to finish the season to get them into the playoffs and cory couldn't buy starting time. This year, minus 1 game, kk let 6 or 7 in (most not his fault) and he still wouldn't put scheider in until the end of the 3rd. Oh, and bc kk makes timely clutch saves where as a healthy cory for the last 2 years doesnt. No stats will reflect that, which is why you cant go by stats to properly judge a goalie.

Reactions: Maine Fan

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
why people saying blake?

Speers? he ain't scored jack s*** sadly:(

edit: couldn't find good pickle meme

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
People keep saying that about every marginal player (Moore, Farnham, Schlemko, Stempniak) and it doesn't happen.
Stafford.

I could see Lovejoy back, but it would be with the understanding that he could be a 7th at any moment.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I think your dead wrong and it's actually reverse. Both hynes and shero said last offseason that cory needed to step it up and didnt meet expectations. If you still think Cory's better that's on you, bc the eye test says otherwise and has for over a year. Eye test has shown cory decline after his good 1st year. Even stats (which imo are useless and mean 0 for a goalie) are better for kk last year and obv this year by all metrics.
The reason I think Hynes has more faith in kk over the yrs..... a few seasons ago we played the isles to remain in the playoff race.... he went with kk bc he makes clutch saves. Last season he benched cory over kk to finish the season to get them into the playoffs and cory couldn't buy starting time. This year, minus 1 game, kk let 6 or 7 in (most not his fault) and he still wouldn't put scheider in until the end of the 3rd. Oh, and bc kk makes timely clutch saves where as a healthy cory for the last 2 years doesnt. No stats will reflect that, which is why you cant go by stats to properly judge a goalie.

I think Kinkaid is better than Schneider. But going forward with Kinkaid as the clear cut #1 I don't necessarily trust either. I have more faith in him than Cory though. Much more

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Stafford.

I could see Lovejoy back, but it would be with the understanding that he could be a 7th at any moment.

He brought him back but as an extra forward only. Which doesn't really count to me since you need some plug to sit in the press box more often than not anyway. He's played 5/17 games and hasn't exactly earned more icetime. I wouldn't care if they brought back Lovejoy as the #7 but I suspect he'd get more than that elsewhere so it's not realistic.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He brought him back but as an extra forward only. Which doesn't really count to me since you need some plug to sit in the press box more often than not anyway. He's played 5/17 games and hasn't exactly earned more icetime. I wouldn't care if they brought back Lovejoy as the #7 but I suspect he'd get more than that elsewhere so it's not realistic.
How this season plays out could be telling. Obviously if Santini takes over that 3rd pairing spot then I'd expect it would be his again next year as well. But if Lovejoy continues in that 3rd pairing spot, while Santini doesn't impress? Then I could see Lovejoy back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->