Reirden, Granato, J. Martin Discussion

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we're giving the GM full power to name his coach, then his choice for coach should have full power to name his assistants.

I don't buy we're giving the GM full power over everything. They're going to bring a GM in who feels the same way about building the team moving forward. I could see them pushing to keep J. Martin around. And possibly Tocchet as an assistant. That Morehouse press conference was nothing more than PR work IMO. They dont' want to look like they're meddling.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Martin has many useful qualities:

1. Would make a great interim coach if the new one flops / if a kept Bylsma flops.

1a. Could potentially be a good head coach if he's learned some lessons from his own past.

3. Makes for a high quality assistant (more than most).

4. Is French Canadian (we know how critical that is).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yep. "Safety net" is the reason he was brought in, IMO. But as the owners said they were not mentally prepared to get rid of the guy over the last 12 months so they just gave him the full shot. Now they'll leave it up to the new GM, but I suspect they will push for Martin.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We could do much worse than Jacques Martin.

I would be ok with him taking over as coach, I think he's a guy that can adapt and change, I mean I didn't think Ruff could, but he did, same with Vigneault.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56899

Granato, among his responsibilities with the Penguins, works with the team’s forwards and penalty killing units

Think about how this coaching staff-- and specifically the guy who manages this teams forwards-- values Evgeni Malkin and Craig Adams.

Think about what it has done with the meager collection of young forwards it has. Think about his conception of who should be playing with whom.

Now, tell me why Bylsma 2.0-- er, mini-DB, er Granato-- shouldn't be right out the door with Bylsma.

Frankly, if you asked me who is the LAST person who I'd want anywhere near the Pens stars and current and new young forwards as a reboot begins, then I'd be hard pressed to give an answer . . . only because Granato is no less obvious a choice than Bylsma.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
our PK was very predictable. It was fine when teams just went with their normal PP strategy through the regular season; but when a team took the time to plan against it they could exploit it.

Yes.

And I don't want 5 more minutes-- forget about 5 more years-- of not seeing Sid or Geno on the PK with any regularity. There's a reason stars kill penalties. We've seen it in the playoffs the last five years.

I mean, people here citing the PK as a reason to keep Granato. He's one of the two guys who thinks Adams BELONGS on the PK and, honestly, the ice every game 5 on 5.

He runs the PK and the forwards, and people are citing THAT body of work as grounds to keep him. :biglaugh:

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
I actually have no problem with letting the new coach select his staff, but I do feel like Bales has done enough to deserve consideration as the goalie coach. In his time as the goalie development coach where he was mainly working with the AHL guys and prospects, the WBS Penguins goaltending has been among the best in the AHL. His work with Fleury this year has been pretty solid. I would like to see him continue, but I can understand if the new coach moves on.

My bigger concern is over the AHL staff. I think that John Hynes is a very good coach who does a very good job of developing players. I can understand if the new regime would want to move in another direction, but I would like to see what Hynes can do with a different system in place.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56899

Granato, among his responsibilities with the Penguins, works with the team’s forwards and penalty killing units

Think about how this coaching staff-- and specifically the guy who manages this teams forwards-- values Evgeni Malkin and Craig Adams.

Think about what it has done with the meager collection of young forwards it has. Think about his conception of who should be playing with whom.

Now, tell me why Bylsma 2.0-- er, mini-DB, er Granato-- shouldn't be right out the door with Bylsma.

Frankly, if you asked me who is the LAST person who I'd want anywhere near the Pens stars and current and new young forwards as a reboot begins, then I'd be hard pressed to give an answer . . . only because Granato is no less obvious a choice than Bylsma.

I've actually seen comments from people who believe Tony Granato should be in line for the job!!:laugh: Bylsma hiring his buddy after he failed so miserably as a Head Coach in Colorado is one of the many failings of Bylsma & Shero!!:nod:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
You could do better than Reirden. Perhaps the same goes for Granato. Both of them just came across as yes-men for Bylsma.

EDIT: Martin is the only guy I would consider keeping.

Last edited:

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Cut ties with Bylsma, Reirden, and Granato. I have mixed opinions about keeping Martin around.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, I gotta say I don't know what's so great about Jacques Martin either. "He's new here" doesn't suffice as reason enough for me for him to stay, and that his hire was supposed to be the big shakeup for this team just emphasizes what a waste of time this season was.

I've also never liked Reirden, going from a volunteer assistant at Bowling Green (which hasn't been a relevant program since, what, the 80s?) in March of 2008, to an AHL assistant, AHL Head Coach then an NHL assistant in summer 2010 is so steep a rise, you'd expect some rather eye-popping results to correlate. True that other guys have stepped behind the bench of an NHL team with less experience than that, but in looking at someone such as Daryl Sydor, he had at least been playing in the league recently to have a strong understanding of what it's about, whereas Reirden hadn't been an NHLer in about a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad