Reinhart: keep him up or send him down?

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Out of camp and after the first couple games, I was solidly in the "send him back" camp.

But, he's been improving every game. Despite the poor team effort, yesterday against the leafs was clearly his best game. Even Nolan realized this - I noticed he was sending Reinhart out for half-shifts with Hodgson and Stafford, and even for some PP time late in the game. Although, it could be more that he was punishing the vets than rewarding Reinhart (and Risto), but I think Reinhart played well enough yesterday to earn the in-game promotion. I even don't have a problem with the Reinhart-McCormick-Des line. Last couple games they've really been clicking and making things happen. I think there's some chemistry there, and its not like any of our other wingers have proven to be more productive so far this year.

I no longer feel like it would be that big of a deal if he did stay up, but I'd also like to see Larson, Grigs, and Schaller get some NHL games this year too.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He'll be a better player 1 year from now after spending the season in the NHL. Even if he has to sit some games and take it all in. NHL games, practices, strength and conditioning will really start to show. This isn't Grigorenko at 18, he's much more mature.

I don't think it will hurt him to go back, but he'll be further ahead by staying.

This is where I ultimately land. I don't think he'll be hurt to go back, but i do think he'll show the greater improvement if he stays up with the big club.

Last night's debacle notwithstanding, I've seen almost game-by-game improvement with him. I can tell he's adjusting to the speed of the game. His passes seem to get slicker and slicker. He's already one of our better defensive forwards (why Nolan is using Ennis/Moulson over him on the PK is beyond words).

I think he'll be better served by staying, even if he's playing 10 min/night on the 4th line for the first half/three-quarters of the year. And I don't think he's going to be "ruined mentally" by being among the losing.....it might even motivate him further.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Send him down. I'd rather he keep his confidence in himself up in Kootenay, he's not "too good" to be there. If this was half of a functional team I might say keep him up, but there is really nothing here for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Send him down. I'd rather he keep his confidence in himself up in Kootenay, he's not "too good" to be there. If this was half of a functional team I might say keep him up, but there is really nothing here for him.

From what I've managed to cobble together in limited viewing, he's actually part of the "functional" part of the squad.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This is where I ultimately land. I don't think he'll be hurt to go back, but i do think he'll show the greater improvement if he stays up with the big club.

Last night's debacle notwithstanding, I've seen almost game-by-game improvement with him. I can tell he's adjusting to the speed of the game. His passes seem to get slicker and slicker. He's already one of our better defensive forwards (why Nolan is using Ennis/Moulson over him on the PK is beyond words).

I think he'll be better served by staying, even if he's playing 10 min/night on the 4th line for the first half/three-quarters of the year. And I don't think he's going to be "ruined mentally" by being among the losing.....it might even motivate him further.

agreed completely. it's already clear that he is significantly more talented than anyone else on the team (forwards)

And in some sense, I think he'll make it plainly obvious by the end of the season that he's the best center on the team, and that will help going in to next year from a lineup/roster construction standpoint

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He'll be a better player 1 year from now after spending the season in the NHL. Even if he has to sit some games and take it all in. NHL games, practices, strength and conditioning will really start to show. This isn't Grigorenko at 18, he's much more mature.

I don't think it will hurt him to go back, but he'll be further ahead by staying.

as simple as it gets

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
And in some sense, I think he'll make it plainly obvious by the end of the season that he's the best center on the team, and that will help going in to next year from a lineup/roster construction standpoint

I'd like to believe that, but I'm not sure he'll get the chance.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced all of the developmental things I want to see happen with this team this year are most dependent on having a development-minded coach.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If he's going to be getting 6 minutes a night on the fourth line, send him down. Either put him with some better linemates and give him more powerplay time or send him back down.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd like to believe that, but I'm not sure he'll get the chance.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced all of the developmental things I want to see happen with this team this year are most dependent on having a development-minded coach.

i dont think he's going to need the top 6 minutes/linemates to make it obvious... i mean, it's already becoming clear.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
From what I've managed to cobble together in limited viewing, he's actually part of the "functional" part of the squad.

I don't disagree, I would just rather see him be phenomenal than functional. Even if it is at a lower level. He is barely stating his professional career there's no need to rush him onto a historically bad team. I guess I'm just being conservative and thinking that he has more to lose by being here this year than he has to gain and there's little reason to take those odds this year.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't disagree, I would just rather see him be phenomenal than functional. Even if it is at a lower level. He is barely stating his professional career there's no need to rush him onto a historically bad team. I guess I'm just being conservative and thinking that he has more to lose by being here this year than he has to gain and there's little reason to take those odds this year.

Very few players are phenomenal in their rookie year in the NHL.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Kootenay. Maturity wise I'm wowed. Physically, not enamored whatsoever. Some people just grow at different rates and he's a baby. He definitely knows what's needed to be here next year: big minutes and dedication in the weight room.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
No need to burn an ELC year on this garbage, especially once the NHL pace catches up to him later on in the year

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Very few players are phenomenal in their rookie year in the NHL.

You're right, read the rest of my response and you will see I never said I expected him to be. I would just rather be conservative with him than take the Grigo approach. Especially given the current state of the team. I would rather see him here developing when the team has more skill and the ability to support him.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Keep him up but how about we give him a chance to succeed? Give him more PP time and better linemates then McCormick and Torrey Mitchell.

C Note

Jan 31, 2014
He'll be better if he stays. But it burns a year of his ELC. That's the only dilemma I see. I voted stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad