Reinhart: keep him up or send him down?

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
He still has one more game.

In any event, he should go back to Kootenay. He's obviously mentally ready for the NHL, and he wouldn't exactly be hampered if he was kept up, but he needs to bulk up and maybe work on his skating a tad.

I don't want to rush him and I want to keep him away from the tire fire. Don't think he'll stagnate in junior...its arguable that Drouin should have been in the NHL last year, look at him as an example

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I can't see "keep him here" getting many votes. There's just no good reason to do that.

Let him dominate the WHL, let him dominate in World Jr's, let him have a great season away from the horrible hockey Buffalo will be playing all year. There's no reason to Brule the kid.

Bps21*

If sam Reinhart can be mentally broken by playing on this team that's something I want to know immediately. I think it's a garbage talking point repeated by people who probably don't even believe it anyway. Is Girgensons ruined by playing last year on the worst sabre team ever? Let's stop with that nonsense.

As for getting bigger...yeah...but I bet the best course for him doing that is being at our facilities putting in work and routines with our staff.

He's mentally fine. He's one of the only people with any defensive responsibility on this whole team. He's not crying like grigorenko did about his play time. And I bet he'd earn his way into a better spot by the all star break anyway.

Then again...ted nolan.

Send him back

TragicallySabres

Sep 23, 2011
South Buffalo
I chose Kootenay. I don't think if we kept him here, it'd.be the Grigo thing all over again. Reinhart can play at the NHL level, but on this team, he'll generate little offensively. Let him go back to the W, captain his team again, and work his ass off to improve on the areas he can improve on. Then let him loose next.year!

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That's fair, he's not automatically a Brule or a Grigo by playing on bad teams, but it's also fair to make the point that his entry-level years are more valuable down the road to the Sabres.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I can't see "keep him here" getting many votes. There's just no good reason to do that.

Let him dominate the WHL, let him dominate in World Jr's, let him have a great season away from the horrible hockey Buffalo will be playing all year. There's no reason to Brule the kid.

That's fair, he's not automatically a Brule or a Grigo by playing on bad teams, but it's also fair to make the point that his entry-level years are more valuable down the road to the Sabres.

Maybe. Conversely I don't see a good reason to send him back though.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
I would rather Reinhart go to juniors than play 4th line minutes with Cody McCormick. He's still only 18 and needs to develop physically. No point burning the year of eligibility in this tire fire.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I want him to stay up, but if he does, it can't be perpetually on the lower lines.

As long as Nolan isn't BSing when he says that he just doesn't want to throw Reinhart into the fire and is giving him an opportunity to watch and learn a bit at first and then get his ice time back up, then great.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He'll be a better player 1 year from now after spending the season in the NHL. Even if he has to sit some games and take it all in. NHL games, practices, strength and conditioning will really start to show. This isn't Grigorenko at 18, he's much more mature.

I don't think it will hurt him to go back, but he'll be further ahead by staying.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I don't think he will be mentally broken or ruined by staying up, but still overall I think it would be better for him to go down.

At least he'd be getting a lot more ice time, and besides, there are other guys in Rochester who (though not as talented) are a bit further along in their development and probably have earned a shot in Buffalo.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
Send him down.

I don't believe that Nolan is the coach I want teaching him. He does not have patience with the younger kids. If you are going to keep him up, don't play him on the forth line. If he goes down, we can see what the other kids like Larson can do.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
He should go back. Next year he should play the whole year in the NHL. He'll be bigger and ready. Not to mention the likes of Stewart and Stafford won't be around which should free up some top 9 spots for him to play.

He looks like he's already adapting to the speed of the NHL. I fully believe that he'd put up a solid second half if he was a Sabre for the year.

However, If its between the 4th line on most nights or juniors. I gotta pick juniors. Even though he looks like he'd really be able to fit in after a few months worth of NHL games.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He should go back. Next year he should play the whole year in the NHL. He'll be bigger and ready. Not to mention the likes of Stewart and Stafford won't be around which should free up some top 9 spots for him to play.

If its between the 4th line on most nights or juniors. I gotta pick juniors.

It's a long season. He's not going to play on the 4th line all year if he stays.

Everyone keeps talking about "getting bigger". I'd trust him to get stronger using NHL facilities and NHL coaches as opposed to juniors.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Your abilities evolve to match what you repeatedly do. He goes from press box to grinder every other game for long enough, he'll develop a 13th forward's skillset. Not that he'll lose the skills that made him a scorer in junior, but he won't turn them into an NHL scorer's skillsets by playing trash minutes with trash players.

Get him out of here until you have a coach who would be willing to play him.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I would keep him here. But he needs to migrate away from the 4th line. He would be fine as the 3rd line center. A 4th year of Jr is a waste.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
If we had better players around him, then maybe we could keep him up. Build some confidence etc. But he can develop just as well in Kootenay and his ELC slides. He'll have the WJC and he could potentially come back for an AHL playoff series or two if Rochester makes it past a couple of rounds.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I'd trust him to get stronger using NHL facilities and NHL coaches as opposed to juniors.
Billion dollar facilities wont make him strong faster. I'd trust him to get stronger and better player by going far away from that looser-atmosphere and play some HOCKEY.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
but he won't turn them into an NHL scorer's skillsets by playing trash minutes with trash players.

Get him out of here until you have a coach who would be willing to play him.

Pretty much.

If you're going to keep in Buffalo, you'd be better off keeping him in the press box and the weight room only, than by putting him on the 4th-line and giving him minimal minutes playing alongside marginal talent.

Those type of minutes do nothing to develop his skills, and it probably limits the strength and conditioning work he can do off-ice.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I would be all for keeping him up if he was going to consistently get top 9 ice time and time on the PP. I don't care if he sucks during that time, playing through those struggles is something he's going to have too do eventually.

Now, if the choice is the 4th line of juniors, send him back now.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I would be all for keeping him up if he was going to consistently get top 9 ice time and time on the PP. I don't care if he sucks during that time, playing through those struggles is something he's going to have too do eventually.

Now, if the choice is the 4th line of juniors, send him back now.
As I said earlier. throughout the course of the season and once injuries hit, he won't be on the 4th line for long. I don't think this is an issue at all.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Back to Kootenay. Like many other have said. Playing 4th line/getting 4th line minutes and occasionally sitting a game will do nothing for him, his confidence, his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad