Reimer's salary arbitration case

Kyle Doobas*

Does anybody know if soul-crushing giveaways and spotting three-goal leads in the first period are much of a factor in these arbitration cases?

If so, I think we can get them both for under $2M.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Does anybody know if soul-crushing giveaways and spotting three-goal leads in the first period are much of a factor in these arbitration cases?

If so, I think we can get them both for under $2M.

I think the issue is, can they both be traded now.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Oh look franson wants more than he's worth, I guess a d-man should only be good at offence cause all that matters to him are points and not playing actual defence.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Oh look franson wants more than he's worth, I guess a d-man should only be good at offence cause all that matters to him are points and not playing actual defence.

Franson needs to leave. He has constant salary issues.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Franson needs to leave. He has constant salary issues.

I think this is the 3rd season in a row he's fought to have a bigger contract, does he not realize you have to play both ends of the ice to get a decent contract and not just the pp?

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
If Franson argues for more than what he deserves, I am fine with that. Just waive him and send him down to AHL, crush his value totally so that ass sucker can ask for a million dollar next season.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Reimer is a good guy and an okay goalie. I don't think he will get enough but he will get around 2.5-3 million and that's his value at max. He can prove himself this season to get traded or he will be fighting for a back up job next season as well.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
can we trade both of them before arbitration or do we have to wait after arbitration?

also, if nonis doesn't like the arbitration offer, can he walk away making reimer and franson UFAs?

Kyle Doobas*

Boy, losing them for nothing would not be good at all.
Meh. We were never going to get much for them anyway. Too many question marks surrounding Franson, and it's a terrible market to be selling a goalie. Wouldn't have hurt to pick up a couple of mid-round picks, but I'll hardly be losing any sleep if they walk.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Meh. We were never going to get much for them anyway. Too many question marks surrounding Franson, and it's a terrible market to be selling a goalie. Wouldn't have hurt to pick up a couple of mid-round picks, but I'll hardly be losing any sleep if they walk.

On the contrary, mtl offered gorges for franson

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
With the current market Reimer has next to no value. Losing Franson for nothing would be a shame in terms of asset management. But at the same time I'm fine with him being gone however it happens. You think after a while he'd figure out not to burn his defensive partners, but that never came through. A nice shot on the PP, but at the same time he's too slow to actually move the puck up if it gets iced.

Kyle Doobas*

So I guess that makes him worth a 2nd from Buffalo.
Was going to post the exact same thing until I scrolled down. :laugh:

On a side-note, I really think Gorges' refusal to come here had absolutely nothing to do with the passion of the Habs/Leafs rivalry and was 100% because of that one game where he was completely humiliated by McLaren.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Definitely bad asset management if we lose both for nothing - I feel like we could have got a 2nd for Franson, and a 3rd for Reimer. Not the end of the world or anything, but when we already trade these kind of picks away like crazy, it'd be nice to get a few back.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
can we trade both of them before arbitration or do we have to wait after arbitration?

also, if nonis doesn't like the arbitration offer, can he walk away making reimer and franson UFAs?

There is nothing stopping Leafs from trading either of them before their arbitration hearings if they find a willing partner.

A player can also be signed prior to any hearing and most cases never actually make it that far.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Despite Franson going to arbitration, I doubt he gets a significant raise.

Franson lead the Leafs in dman scoring the past 2 seasons and finished 38th among all NHL dmen.

He was also #1 in Hits (282) among all dmen, 5th in takeaways.

What is that going to be worth in terms of a raise up from $2 mil?

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Fran will get paid... maybe like 2.8 something like that
Reims has struggled recently so he's looking at 2.7 around there

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
On the contrary, mtl offered gorges for franson

Which should tell us a lot about how far Gorges game has fallen. Considering the Habs felt he wasn't good enough to pay 2nd pairing money, I'm glad we didn't end up with him.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I wonder if Nonis purposely left a lot of cap space anticipating these arbitration hearings. I don't know if he's just waiting to see if he can get them sign for cheap or what.

Although you'd have to figure if there was a sensible deal in place for either of these guys they'd be gone by now. And what's the backup plan if Reimer leaves? They'd better not both go for nothing. At least get 3rd round picks or something.

Which should tell us a lot about how far Gorges game has fallen. Considering the Habs felt he wasn't good enough to pay 2nd pairing money, I'm glad we didn't end up with him.

I don't think he has fallen off that badly. He looked better than Emelin IMO, and they're very similar players - nearly the same age and contract too. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to get rid of a big salary on D, anticipating Subban's ginormous raise, and Emelin has a full NTC so they weren't going to be able to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad