Reimer is the worst goalie in the NHL

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Am I wrong? Discuss.
Probably wrong, although he is pretty bad IMO. He's much worse than his career save percentage indicates, if you asked me, which is league average. Even when he has good years he looks bad on the eye test. A lot of pucks go right through him and he has a very leaky butterfly. I tried to tell this to Sharks fans who wanted to acquire him to be the starter (like a year before he was acquired at the deadline to be the backup and before they got Jones). At best he's an inconsistent fluctuator from year to year.

Ironically, I think the worst goalie in the league (with a full time roster spot) is the guy that Reimer faced tonight in Cam Ward.

Scott Darling is really still making a good case though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol it's Mike Smith end of story. Reimer is capable of stopping unscreened muffin shots and beach balls from time to time
Smith was an average goalie before this year though.

Cam Ward is the worst goalie in the NHL, if you ask me. He's been BAD for YEARS, unlike Smith and Reimer. Saying Smith is the worst is more recency bias than anything. Is he the worst goalie in the league this year? Probably. Will he ever bounce back and be average again or who he was before this year? I don't think so. But there's other goalies that have been bad for YEARS now, who deserve to be in the conversation more than him.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Scott Darling was historically bad last year and hasn't shown anything of note this year.

He's not won 2 games in a row since putting on the Canes uniform
He was brutal tonight. Goals 3 and 4 were poor ones on Darling tonight. His career looks to be about over, but the Canes still have him signed for 2 more years after this. What's funny about him is that he allows a lot of goals that just hit big goalies his size, due to their massive girth and equipment, but they go in on him at a much more frequent rate.

I already have Darling down for 11 stoppable goals this year and he's only allowed 22 in total. Half the goals he allows could have been stopped. It was around the same percentage last year, so I'm not believing that this is necessarily a product of limited sample size and only playing 7 games this year so far.

His current .892% save percentage actually flatters him and makes him look better. With how pathetic he is on the eye test, I'm surprised he hasn't been sustaining an .850% over the last year.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Smith is worse than any goalie in the NHL. No one lets in more muffins unscreened than him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In each of the past 3 seasons, not one of James Reimer, Mike Smith, and Martin Jones have posted a save percentage below .912 SV%.

These guys shouldn’t even be part of the discussion. HF pays way too much attention to small sample sizes and draws sensationalist conclusions from them far too often.
Wait, someone actually called Martin Jones the worst (or one of the worst) goalie in the league in this thread? I thought he was known as an ''Elite'' or ''Top-10'' goalie over on these here parts, who the Sharks ride on to get to a playoff spot? :laugh:

I agree with this though. Too much recency bias over here. I'm waiting for Koskinen (I can't even recall his first name, the new guy from Edmonton) or some random goalie to have a month long hot streak and then reading how they're one of the best in the league. It's par for the course over here. :laugh:

I still think Ward is the worst, based on years of poor play. We're almost at 7 years since he even had higher than a .910% over a season. That's pretty awful. Although Scott Darling over the last year has been the worst goalie I've seen in 20 years, over a year long span that was a full-time NHL roster goalie and wasn't 100 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, I saw all the goals tonight as part of my nightly reviews and while I do think Ward is still probably the worst full time goalie in the league, based on years of data and poor play, he definitely wasn't worse than Reimer tonight. I thought this was a rare night in which Ward had no chance on any of the goals against.

Okay, the game tying goal is a deflection off Barkov's stick from a few feet away, but this was one of the slowest, softest deflection goals I've seen in quite some time. It goes right through Reimer's 5-hole at about a speed of approximately 1 kilometer per hour and I don't even know if it left the ice. And he looks totally flabbergasted. He doesn't even realize it's in the back of the net until the crowd makes some noise. This is a Reimer-ism. Where he thinks he has a shot and he doesn't. He'll usually rock his head right down in shame. I didn't even notice if he did that on that goal or not.

And then the OT winner is another stoppable puck. He had no chance on the first 3, but those are two brutal goals to give up. One with 1 second remaining in regulation to tie the game and one OT winner.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The equipment change has hurt a lot of goalies. It's a hard change to deal with not that Reimer was spectacular before or anything.

Florida's defense is terrible. Though, so there's that. That whole team is terrible. Dale Tallon to the Panthers is what Bill Peters is to the Flames. The ultimate sell job. You have a huge climate and monetary boon to make you an attractive spot, a spot lots of Russians are flocking too, and unlike their state rival they just continue to float just below mediocre. I honestly feel like GM'ing for a Florida team is GM mode on easy.

I feel bad for Trochek, Barkov and some of the other good players on that team.

truth.

when they visited in Finland people noticed they hardly practised when on ice. Jets instead..

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Loved him in Toronto then hated him and his stupid smile, Bernier was better.

He’s a backup. Always has been

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Probably wrong, although he is pretty bad IMO. He's much worse than his career save percentage indicates, if you asked me, which is league average. Even when he has good years he looks bad on the eye test. A lot of pucks go right through him and he has a very leaky butterfly. I tried to tell this to Sharks fans who wanted to acquire him to be the starter (like a year before he was acquired at the deadline to be the backup and before they got Jones). At best he's an inconsistent fluctuator from year to year.

Ironically, I think the worst goalie in the league (with a full time roster spot) is the guy that Reimer faced tonight in Cam Ward.

Scott Darling is really still making a good case though.

Cam Ward and Scott Darling played on the same roster.

Darling is much much worse.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Reimer is a weird story. When he's on, he's a good goalie. When he's off, he's really off and terrible. He's never just average.

Reactions: Dabeast

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
I don’t want to brag or anything but here’s the GAA of our 5-goalies tandem this year;

Lyon : 12,00
Neuvirth : 6,00
Picard : 4,01
Elliot : 2,59
Stolarz : 2,50

Yep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad