Confirmed with Link: Reilly to Boston (2022 3rd Round Draft Pick)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With Reilly and Coburn gone, what's our D look like now? We have to play someone on their off side

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Xxx-Gudbranson
Xxx-JBD
Xxx-J.Brown
Xxx-Goloubef

I wonder if we call up Aspirot...

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
This made my day today when I woke up to this news!

Reilly is a great skater.. sometimes.. that's about it. He'd be better used for the Ice Capades than as an nhl defenseman.

Reactions: Sting

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Sens fans: All we do is tank our players value! Gosh, this entire staff has no clue what they're doing.

Also Sens fans:
The best part about this pick isn’t the draft pick but that the stupid coach will now be forced to use Zub with either Braanstrom or Chabot.

Reilly was easily one of our top 4 DMen this year and we just turned him into a top 90 pick at exactly the correct time. Has Brannstrom been so good that he deserves a top 4 spot uncontested for 60 games?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Helps the tank this year. 3rd isn't a bad return. Smith forced to play Brannstrom every day.

Great move!

Reactions: c_mak

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Very happy with this trade, this is the kinda of asset management that I do for a living and which allows me to not work, its all about buy low/sell high. I wouldn't say we bought low on Reilly but lower than the price we just sold him. Every player is an asset, even a guy you just drafted in Tim Stutzle. Yes, there's some players that should be kept their whole careers or at least for most of it but they are still "currency", you have to "manage" their value during the whole process.

Best part of the deal is not the 3rd. Its the fact we aren't resigning Reilly.

It's weird but I like Reilly more now than he's gone and I'm glad for him he was able to extend his NHL career. He should be a good fit in Boston (when they are healthy enough of course)

With Reilly and Coburn gone, what's our D look like now? We have to play someone on their off side

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Xxx-Gudbranson
Xxx-JBD
Xxx-J.Brown
Xxx-Goloubef

I wonder if we call up Aspirot...

I'd be SCHOCKED if we don't claim Victor Mete

He's 22, cheap, fast and RFA. He can play both sides. There's actually NO RISK and only 14 games left, NOTHING to lose.

Yes he's small and "weak" but who cares, we're not winning the Cup this year... If you don't like him after that, just let him go. But try to get his value up and trade him later

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Very happy with this trade, this is the kinda of asset management that I do for a living and which allows me to not work, its all about buy low/sell high. I wouldn't say we bought low on Reilly but lower than the price we just sold him. Every player is an asset, even a guy you just drafted in Tim Stutzle. Yes, there's some players that should be kept their whole careers or at least for most of it but they are still "currency", you have to "manage" their value during the whole process.

The difference being that they aren't just stationary assets but rather usable and depreciating tools that you are employing on a daily basis for both entertainment and competitive purposes.

It's unlike those people who collect cars and only move them around on trailers because they are never driven.

Anyway, I'm not upset about not playing Reilly anymore and he doesn't factor in for the future of this team so it's a good deal.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The difference being that they aren't just stationary assets but rather usable and depreciating tools that you are employing on a daily basis for both entertainment and competitive purposes.

It's unlike those people who collect cars and only move them around on trailers because they are never driven.

Anyway, I'm not upset about not playing Reilly anymore and he doesn't factor in for the future of this team so it's a good deal.

Well, no comparison is perfect and we're talking about human beings vs "stationary assets" like you say. Of course, I don't flip human beings lol so I wouldn't know. Still, the NHL is a big business and if you don't see your players as assets (but treat them like humans at the same time), you have no business being here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Still, the NHL is a big business and if you don't see your players as assets (but treat them like humans at the same time), you have no business being here.

No, I get that for sure.

I do think that some people occasionally get so hung up on the value aspect of the business that they forget about the "building a team to win hockey games" aspect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A 3rd for Reilly is a good deal for us. Reports are that both sides were looking at a possible extension.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Victor Mete is too small for defensive hockey and he proved already, he can not be an offensive defenseman in this league. I could be wrong, but his stats with Montreal speak volumes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Victor Mete is too small for defensive hockey and he proved already, he can not be an offensive defenseman in this league. I could be wrong, but his stats with Montreal speak volumes.

It's really a question of whether we need a placeholder for the last few games of the season.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Solid trade. I'm a little scared to see the defense the team will be icing going forward though, because the losses of Reilly, Coburn and Wolanin have really blasted some holes in the left side.

Trivial information
Reilly finished tied for the 11th most productive (PPG) defenseman in Ottawa Senators history.

70-1-30-31, 0.44 PPG

0.83 - Erik Karlsson
0.59-0.60 - MacIver, Duchene / Chabot
0.48-0.49 – Redden / Gonchar / Chara / Corvo, Preissing
0.43-0.45 - Meszaros, Kuba / Reilly, B.Shaw
0.33-0.40 – B.Bell, Rachunek, Salo / Kravchuk / Phaneuf, Pothier, J.York

I'd be SCHOCKED if we don't claim Victor Mete

He's 22, cheap, fast and RFA. He can play both sides. There's actually NO RISK and only 14 games left, NOTHING to lose.

Yes he's small and "weak" but who cares, we're not winning the Cup this year... If you don't like him after that, just let him go. But try to get his value up and trade him later

I echo this sentiment. Buffalo is the only team lower than us, so I guess they're the only team who could potentially put in a claim for Mete. He'd be a perfect stop gap for the next 14 games and the team can use that as a tryout to determine whether they want to bring him back next year.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I doubt we're claiming Mete. Doesn't seem like a DJ player.

Very happy we didn't re-sign Reilly. Really thought that's where things were headed.

Reactions: Icelevel

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Good trade and I like the return, but it isn't encouraging that the Senators can't re-sign any pending UFAs, even lower tier ones like Mike Reilly. I doubt they wanted him for 5 years, but you'd think if Reilly liked it in Ottawa he'd sign for 2 years at $2.5 M/yr or something.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Good trade and I like the return, but it isn't encouraging that the Senators can't re-sign any pending UFAs, even lower tier ones like Mike Reilly. I doubt they wanted him for 5 years, but you'd think if Reilly liked it in Ottawa he'd sign for 2 years at $2.5 M/yr or something.

If Dorion likes him that much, he could still re-sign him after the playoffs are over.

I don't read anything into this aside from the fact that Dorion could actually get a 3rd rounder for a guy that cost us a 5th rounder.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I didnt mind Reilly like some, but a 3rd is more than I expected PD to get for him. Solid return imo.

Reactions: Sweatred

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This works for me. Reilly improved over the course of the season but he's still mostly a replacement level player with no long term upside in Ottawa.

I like that it's next year too. Draft capital in 2022 could come in handy. I think that draft could be a wild one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad