Reilly Smith

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Eriksson is starting to get a groove on, though. But Smith has looked real good from the get-go.
Agreed. That lines just taking a little longer the click but it's also had the big change to it's winger really. They'll get there.
Still believe this trade will look great in the long run, have absolutely no issues with it now, could care less Segs is putting up numbers

"If" Morrow or Fraser turn out to be players either the B`s employ at the NHL level or can use as chips to acquire help down the road...............GIDDY UP

Again agreed. Segs was destined to put up more points in Dallas simply because he has much increased ice time and is on a more offensive minded team. It was a solid hockey trade for both sides but like you said if some of the other parts included in the deal pan out for us this could be a real win for us.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Now I know why Dallas fans were so high on this kid last year. He's even outproducing Chaisson.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Kids hands are filthy. Love the way he plays the game, excited to see him mature and what he'll end up as in a year or 2. Think hes just scratching the surface right now

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
looks like krug, yeti and smith will all be worthy of this award

All great candidates but I know I had certain expectations for both Krug and Yeti.I thought Krug could continue his solid play he showed in the playoffs and I expected Soda to be significantly better after going through a proper training camp. I had no expectations for Smith, hasn't he already scored more goals this year than he did all of last year?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
At this rate what would you pay Smith to keep him as a Bruins long term?

5 years at 3 to 3.5 million a year sound like a fair deal?

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
All great candidates but I know I had certain expectations for both Krug and Yeti.I thought Krug could continue his solid play he showed in the playoffs and I expected Soda to be significantly better after going through a proper training camp. I had no expectations for Smith, hasn't he already scored more goals this year than he did all of last year?

Indeed, Reilly is 3rd in points on a 1st place team, getting it done while playing admirably well within Clode's system... and while he might not be a lights-out defender like Bergy, Smith is far from defensive liability.

Given that there were higher expectations for Krug and Soderberg, i see your point. All things equal, perhaps Smith deserves the nod for being considered a peripheral throw-in of the Seguin trade.

He's been extremely mature and has fit the mold of a Bruin perfectly, plus he's only 22 and it's very possible his game can improve over the coming years. He's starting to net some goals too... exciting to watch that 3rd line for sure.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Indeed, Reilly is 3rd in points on a 1st place team, getting it done while playing admirably well within Clode's system... and while he might not be a lights-out defender like Bergy, Smith is far from defensive liability.

Given that there were higher expectations for Krug and Soderberg, i see your point. All things equal, perhaps Smith deserves the nod for being considered a peripheral throw-in of the Seguin trade.

He's been extremely mature and has fit the mold of a Bruin perfectly, plus he's only 22 and it's very possible his game can improve over the coming years. He's starting to net some goals too... exciting to watch that 3rd line for sure.

Are you sure he was considerd a throw in? The way I saw it was Seguin for Eriksson and 3 prospects, Peverly the throw in along with Button.

Either way Smith was just what this team needed, that trade was very good in so many ways.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Are you sure he was considerd a throw in? The way I saw it was Seguin for Eriksson and 3 prospects, Peverly the throw in along with Button.

Either way Smith was just what this team needed, that trade was very good in so many ways.

Well yeah the front end clearly knew what they were doing, they didn't/wouldn't just give Seguin away. But they have advanced scouts working for them. Regular people don't.

Perhaps i should have clarified that the large majority of casual Bruins fans would probably have never heard of Reilly Smith at the time of the trade, and not surprisingly viewed him (in a general sense) or at least perceived him as a sort of throw-in prospect among others plus Loui Eriksson for an overpaid but versatile aging forward and our young "face of the future".

It is a common theme that fans let 'whoever got the single most talented player and/or the player with the highest ceiling won the trade' skew their logic and cause them to prematurely judge trades and perpetuate endless debates so soon after the trade.

The Seguin/Eriksson, Smith, Parts Trade will take at least a couple years to truly evaluate fairly IMO.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It'll be even more exciting when Spooner moves up to center that line.

Not any time soon.

That line is what a checking line is supposed to look like. They aren't about to screw with it just so the flavor of the month can get another call up.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Not any time soon.

That line is what a checking line is supposed to look like. They aren't about to screw with it just so the flavor of the month can get another call up.

Will you please stop with this nonsense. You accuse people of trolling and then you put up uninformed garbage like this. At least three very informed hockey people (i.e. not stat nerds like you accuse me of being) have said that Ryan Spooner is ready for NHL action. That makes him decidedly NOT "flavor of the month". You want to say that they won't make the move now because they like what they have in the 3rd line, and Kelly's defensive presence is helping Smith and Soderberg out? or that it's a matter of asset management for the Bruins? That's fine. I don't agree with it, but it's a valid opinion. But flavor of the month? Just makes the board a worse place because it's complete rubbish.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
At this rate what would you pay Smith to keep him as a Bruins long term?

5 years at 3 to 3.5 million a year sound like a fair deal?

Woof. Slow down there. For comparison's sake, Alfie's making 3.5m in Detroit this year.

I think we're all loving what Smith is doing now....but he's making 900k on an ELC. The raise you're proposing is something slated for PPG kind of player. Let's give it a season before we hand out that kinda coin. I'd see 3 years in the 1.5-2m/year range at this point.

Great potential there however, and I'm not gonna slight you for the opinion, nor refer to you as "obtuse" because it seems a pretty out-there proposal. It's a good discussion to have.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Will you please stop with this nonsense. You accuse people of trolling and then you put up uninformed garbage like this. At least three very informed hockey people (i.e. not stat nerds like you accuse me of being) have said that Ryan Spooner is ready for NHL action. That makes him decidedly NOT "flavor of the month". You want to say that they won't make the move now because they like what they have in the 3rd line, and Kelly's defensive presence is helping Smith and Soderberg out? or that it's a matter of asset management for the Bruins? That's fine. I don't agree with it, but it's a valid opinion. But flavor of the month? Just makes the board a worse place because it's complete rubbish.
"Flavor of the month" may not have been a good choice of words as it applied to Ryan Spooner. Alicat was advancing the opinion that since that line is so successful and defensively responsible, it should not be tampered with.

I can see sometime in the no too distant future where Kelly moves to the Merlot Line centre. Sure, it may not be economically efficient given Kelly's contract, but that is sunken cost. It has to be paid regardless of where Kelly plays. I was proposing that a Soderberg-Spooner-Smith line would be more dynamic and, hopefully, help out in the D department.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
"Flavor of the month" may not have been a good choice of words as it applied to Ryan Spooner. Alicat was advancing the opinion that since that line is so successful and defensively responsible, it should not be tampered with.

I can see sometime in the no too distant future where Kelly moves to the Merlot Line centre. Sure, it may not be economically efficient given Kelly's contract, but that is sunken cost. It has to be paid regardless of where Kelly plays. I was proposing that a Soderberg-Spooner-Smith line would be more dynamic and, hopefully, help out in the D department.

I know, but it's not the first time that terms been used and regardless of how you consider the 3rd line, Ryan Spooner isn't a flavor of the month. He's our top prospect whose play at the NHL has demonstrated that he's not out his element.

About the 3rd line. Where would you say that line ranks in cumulative +/- since Eriksson returned from John Scott's eternal uselessness?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I'll do as I please besides, stop taking it literally and you'll be less wound up.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I watch a ton of Bruins and this kid stands out A LOT. Looks like he's been in the league for a long time the way he anticipates plays and just has an all around solid game.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I watch a ton of Bruins and this kid stands out A LOT. Looks like he's been in the league for a long time the way he anticipates plays and just has an all around solid game.

I really like the chemistry between Smith and Soderberg. If they're 3rd line fixtures on this team for the next few seasons I think the Bruins are in good shape.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Spooner centering Smith and Soderberg them might be the sickest 3rd line in the league.

And if they so chose to deploy them, Paille-Kelly-Campbell would be a true shutdown line that they use to help ease the burden off the Bergeron line against top lines as well as take the majority of defensive zone starts.

People would get caught up in calling one a 3rd and another a 4th line, but my guess is those two lines would see similar ES TOI depending on game situation. The only thing that lineup would lack is the ability to stage a face punching every 6-7 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad