Reilly Smith

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Curious to hear from you guys how he has been so far this season. Always liked R.Smith and hope he turns out to be a solid top 6 forward with y'all.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
As an honest assessment:

He is grittier than advertised, decent speed too. He looks like he has a lack of finishing (I would chalk it up to bad luck, but the Dallas scouts said the same thing, so...) his super weak goal on Thomas tonight doesn't change my mind on that. If it comes down to Smith or Caron, Smith has him by a fair margin. I would like to see:

Lucic-Krejci-Iggy
Soderberg-Bergeron-Eriksson
Marchand--Kelly--Smith
Merlot​

As that 3rd line would be fast, gritty and good. Marchand and Smith on the 3rd line would cause fits for the opposition and the 2nd could use Soderberg's size for all the board work they do.

PietB

Random User
Apr 29, 2011
Denmany and Germark
As an honest assessment:

He is grittier than advertised, decent speed too. He looks like he has a lack of finishing (I would chalk it up to bad luck, but the Dallas scouts said the same thing, so...) his super weak goal on Thomas tonight doesn't change my mind on that. If it comes down to Smith or Caron, Smith has him by a fair margin. I would like to see:

Lucic-Krejci-Iggy
Marchand--Kelly--Smith
Merlot​

As that 3rd line would be fast, gritty and good. Marchand and Smith on the 3rd line would cause fits for the opposition and the 2nd could use Soderberg's size for all the board work they do.

Those lines look beautiful, I'd really like to see those given a try... But I guess, barring injury, Claude will not tear apart Bergy and Marchand.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Those lines look beautiful, I'd really like to see those given a try... But I guess, barring injury, Claude will not tear apart Bergy and Marchand.

Didnt smith play with Bergeron and Loui tonight?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I really like him. Plays a gritty game and has the skill to be a force offensively and defensively. He's got good speed and he uses it real well on the forecheck.

I think he'll end up as a good 2nd liner/ideal 3rd liner when he's at his best, another one of our role players who we love. Really impressed so far and so are the Bruins.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I like him-he fits well in our system and already seems to play it well.

I think he is more a bottom 6 guy than top six and I think he goes back to the third line when the Yeti returns.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Loved him in camp and his instant chemistry with Kelly made me take notice. Love that he's gritty and willing to get into the dirty areas. He seems to have a solid head on his shoulders too.

tom nuetten

Mar 24, 2011
Germany
I don´t get the söderberg love..

some guys want to play him on the pp instead of bergeron... others want to play him on the 2nd line (etc.)

I saw not many games from him (some preseason and of course last year) and I´m not convinced that he´s that good...

let him play some games and get some chemistry with the guys, I believe that some guys have to high expectations for the yeti

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I think he has been one of their most consistent players so far this year, in terms of effort.

The kid gives you a hard-working shift every time he sees the ice, and he's not afraid to get his nose dirty in the corners or in front of the net. He seems to win more battles than he loses.

I thought he showed some nifty play-making ability/vision early with some passes he had to Caron out front.

He had a nice, shifty move yesterday to create a scoring chance, and he punches in an ugly goal for the game winner...it's still early but I like the skill set I see so far, and I think he will continue to get more confident and assertive as the year rolls along.

He could end up being a nice addition to this team.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
He certainly has won Claude and staff over with his play. I wasn't expecting him to suck, but I wasn't expecting him to jump right in and play well, either. I like what I've seen.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Curious to hear from you guys how he has been so far this season. Always liked R.Smith and hope he turns out to be a solid top 6 forward with y'all.

Not sure he has the finish for top 6 but his hustle and grit have been nice to see. I knew nothing about him before seeing him in Boston, personally, I think he`s an ideal 3rd line guy but who knows.

Any way you cut it, the 3rd line this season has already helped me forget the mess that was last year

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Outside of some bad turnovers, he looks like a really impressive player. Great speed and quickness, plays a lot bigger than his size, and has a lot of creativity. One thing I'm a bit worried about though is that scoring touch. The guy missed on like 5 golden opportunities last night, and has been snakebitten in other games as well. Hearing what Dallas fans have said about him, and looking at his NHL stats, it doesn't look like he has much finish. I know, bad timing for this seeing as he just scored the GWG.

OutspokenMinority*

Like what I see, regardless of the goal. Seems to have good hockey IQ and some sac.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
As an honest assessment:

Lucic-Krejci-Iggy
Marchand--Kelly--Smith
Merlot​

Love it

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
I think he has been one of their most consistent players so far this year, in terms of effort.

Agreed. If we were to grade the forwards thus far, the only A grades I'd be giving out would be to him, Kelly, and possibly Lucic. He's been a very pleasant surprise.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Could be a diamond in the rough.

He seems to be pretty highly though of in every report I've read. Craig Button (FWIW) pegs him as a 25 goal scorer. Wasn't overly impressed in camp, he seemed solid but unspectacular but he's really carved himself a niche on the team now. Think he'll be an adequate 2nd line complement or a quality 3rd liner with offensive upside.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
with Loui off to a slow start it's definitely a nice bonus to have one of the prospects in the Seguin deal contributing already.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Outside of some bad turnovers, he looks like a really impressive player. Great speed and quickness, plays a lot bigger than his size, and has a lot of creativity. One thing I'm a bit worried about though is that scoring touch. The guy missed on like 5 golden opportunities last night, and has been snakebitten in other games as well. Hearing what Dallas fans have said about him, and looking at his NHL stats, it doesn't look like he has much finish. I know, bad timing for this seeing as he just scored the GWG.

Now that you say that, he reminds me a bit of Pevs...a lot of nice offensive tools that don't necessarily translate to huge production. But even still, probably a darn good third line player that can play up in the lineup if needed. I still want to give him more time to see if building comfort and confidence can add to his scoring totals, but I agree that he doesn't look like a natural finisher.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes good and has turned out to sort of be like Marchand basically a gritty 3rd liner with the offense and skill of a 2nd liner.

Looks to be a fit for our system. Hasn't looked out of place at all basically replacing Peverley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->