Reilly Smith

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's hard to be overly excited about his game at this point. He came out on fire and plateaued badly. Hopefully it was just a young guy hitting a wall after playing more than he's used to...

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
Props to this kid. The cherry on top of "the trade" that brought us Eriksson and whatshisname in Providence. Reilly has been pretty god these playoffs. Happy to have a young RW that can put the puck in the net.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Smitty has played well in both games of this series. He's been very active in the offensive zone trying to create something. Glad he got a goal today.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Man it's great to see him play with confidence again. Good things happen.
Was very worried about what he was going to be like coming into the playoffs but he's impressed me quite a bit for a guy playing in his first playoffs.
Great to have a Habs killer in the ranks.

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
its starts with desire and effort for any player, he brings it. if you have the talent , rest will take care of itself. he doesnt work the point on PP for nothing

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Smith just does that easy thing to keep yourself effective: SHOOT

There is never anything wrong with a quick wrister from anywhere inside that blue line. I will never fault him for putting rubber towards Price.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Love this kid. If he can work on the streakiness, he will be a total rock star.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Here's where Red Line Report had Reilly Smith in the 2009 NHL draft guide (94th overall out of 300 ranked players):

Started the season slowly but came on like gangbusters in the second half and was tremendous in the Buzzers' short playoff stretch with nine goals and 15 points in six games. Has excellent puck skills and thinks the game very well offensively- instinctive and aware of game situations. Very good skater with speed and agility. Sees the ice well and can thread the needle with soft touch passes. Not nearly as intelligent or dedicated without the puck on his stick. His play away from the puck is poor and effort level leaves much to be desired. Has a laser beam wrist shot that he can pinpoint to the corners, but if he's not scoring, has little impact on the game. Several clubs are staying mum on their interest in the kid because they're hoping to steal him with a mid-round pick.
Projection: One-dimensional third-liner on a poor team
Style compares to: Matt D'Agostini

Goes to show you that if you have the tools/talent as a foundation of your game, you can fix the warts in time and with some maturity. He's clearly more than the projection thought, but overall- the report was right on with his strengths and potential to impact a game offensively.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Just something I've noticed about the kid - he tends to play better when one or two of the players on his line are struggling. The first half of the season? That was some of the worst I've ever seen Marchand play. And Bergy was not exactly at his best play either. But, around January when Marchy really started to pick up his play, and Bergy too, Smith started his cold streak. I also noticed, towards the end of the season, when they put Spooner on the line a couple times, his play really picked up.

Obviously play-offs is a completely different universe, but Marchy has obviously been struggling and Bergy, although still playing extremely well, I still don't think he's at his best.

This might be nothing and just pure over-thinking, but I really think when he is thought of as "the weak-link" or the lowest member of the line, it really gets to him mentally. But when there is a player who is, at that moment, worse than him, (such as Marchand earlier or Spooner) he really picks up his game and sees his opportunities.

Anyway...just pure speculation psychoanalysis. As long as he keeps playing as superbly as he currently is, I don't care care what the psychological reasoning behind it is

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
I never once was worried about this kid through the slump. I know a lot of people were doubting him, but I just got the vibe from this kid that he has got "it."

Not everyone has "it" but I just feeling like Reilly does. We've got a future 30+ goal scorer, two play player on our hands. Don't lose it Peter.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Here's where Red Line Report had Reilly Smith in the 2009 NHL draft guide (94th overall out of 300 ranked players):

Started the season slowly but came on like gangbusters in the second half and was tremendous in the Buzzers' short playoff stretch with nine goals and 15 points in six games. Has excellent puck skills and thinks the game very well offensively- instinctive and aware of game situations. Very good skater with speed and agility. Sees the ice well and can thread the needle with soft touch passes. Not nearly as intelligent or dedicated without the puck on his stick. His play away from the puck is poor and effort level leaves much to be desired. Has a laser beam wrist shot that he can pinpoint to the corners, but if he's not scoring, has little impact on the game. Several clubs are staying mum on their interest in the kid because they're hoping to steal him with a mid-round pick.
Projection: One-dimensional third-liner on a poor team
Style compares to: Matt D'Agostini

Goes to show you that if you have the tools/talent as a foundation of your game, you can fix the warts in time and with some maturity. He's clearly more than the projection thought, but overall- the report was right on with his strengths and potential to impact a game offensively.

Lol the report kinda sounds hilarious, picturing working your butt off your whole life and your a pretty damn good hockey player... But the competition is so high at the NHL level your projection is basically, "meh pretty ***tty player on a pretty ***itty team, but can score somewhat decent, also stupid without the puck."

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Lol the report kinda sounds hilarious, picturing working your butt off your whole life and your a pretty damn good hockey player... But the competition is so high at the NHL level your projection is basically, "meh pretty ***tty player on a pretty ***itty team, but can score somewhat decent, also stupid without the puck."

That's what you got out of that? Seriously?

And you guys wonder why some hesitate to share insights on this forum...

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That's what you got out of that? Seriously?

And you guys wonder why some hesitate to share insights on this forum...

No ****. That report was way more positive than negative.

Kind of surprising that the Bruins were so high on a guy that struggled with focus and intensity away from the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad