Post-Game Talk: Regrettably, there is a game today. G56: Canes @ Caps | 3/3/22 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Of course i missed this game! WLC had districts tonight so I was there. Watching the replay now. Love that Vanny got a shutout!

Reactions: Neil Racki

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Until December, sure. But Fever has regressed a ton in the past couple months. If there's a rookie who actually deserves to see his minutes cut, it's him. (And I say this as someone who constantly ranked Fever as our #1 prospect over McMichael the past couple years)

Regular season is long, and hard on rookies. He still has upside as top 4 for D.

Wait we played a hockey game tonight? Stupid ESPN+.

Most shocking thing of the night was observing Carlson's assist on OV's PP goal. That is the shortest amount of time I've seen the puck on Carlson's stick b4 passing to OV ALL season

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
How was Mantha? I guess rusty AF but other than that?

Suprisingly not that rusty at all. I liked him alot. Constant thread on offensive side, present on the defensive.

However the rust might come a bit later, first couple games back are a bit of special sometimes. Relief of being there again, and some extra adrenaline can make wonders.

I really hope they didnt rush him back too quickly. But the Mantha we saw today is the guy we hoped to get for Vrana + 1st.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Lol yeah it was all a team effort boosting Mantha. His individual play was an illusion.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Wow, best game i´ve seen in many weeks. After the first goal i was never really worried. They kept control over the game for 60 minutes. Weird feeling not giving up 4 goals in 5 minutes in the second period.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Today was also i think the first time ever i saw Ovi try a wraparound goal. It felt weird for some reason. Is that something he normally does that i´ve just missed over the years?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No comments about Backstrom's skating? Once again he looked faster than before and more agile. "Backstrom is done" might be an overreaction??

Reactions: caps4cup

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
No idea. He clearly bumped the puck to where Kuzy could get it. Maybe they'll fix that.

Or maybe this is his punishment for being a political pawn.

Just from the one angle on the nhl app, i don’t think ovie actually touched the puck. He just kinda protected it and let it go to Kuz. Smart play, but no touch = no assist.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
No comments about Backstrom's skating? Once again he looked faster than before and more agile. "Backstrom is done" might be an overreaction??
He's always been better off with a puck carrier on his wing. Mantha is very good at it, hence why he was the one trusted to enter the zone on the 2nd PP unit every rush up the ice. Think that actually made a significant difference.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He's always been better off with a puck carrier on his wing. Mantha is very good at it, hence why he was the one trusted to enter the zone on the 2nd PP unit every rush up the ice. Think that actually made a significant difference.

I'm saying he's been skating better the last few games and people have not noticed. No Mantha required. I'm watching his defensive play, his attempts to escape defensive pressure, his speed on rushes & backchecking, his pivots, etc. and I'm seeing "normal" for him or very close to it.

He's never going to be the fastest guy on the ice but the narrative that he's hobbled and incapable of playing seems overblown.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
The compete level was great last night. Every single player on the team was engaged and working hard - part of the reason they were so good when the season started. Really hope they build off of this win and its not a one time thing. This team badly needs some consistency.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How was Mantha? I guess rusty AF but other than that?
He was terrific. He does so many little things very well. Really encouraging return.

That said, I want to see him be more assertive towards goal. I think his release might be even better than Sprong’s and his one-timer is second only to Ovi’s on the team. I’d love to see a wrinkle on the PP where Mantha is in the Ovi spot on the other side of the rink, like Tampa does with Stamkos-Hedman-Kucherov.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Until December, sure. But Fever has regressed a ton in the past couple months. If there's a rookie who actually deserves to see his minutes cut, it's him. (And I say this as someone who constantly ranked Fever as our #1 prospect over McMichael the past couple years)

it feels like 90% of the team has regressed in 2022.

hard to look good when the team is sucking.

Reactions: Hivemind

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm saying he's been skating better the last few games and people have not noticed. No Mantha required. I'm watching his defensive play, his attempts to escape defensive pressure, his speed on rushes & backchecking, his pivots, etc. and I'm seeing "normal" for him or very close to it.

He's never going to be the fastest guy on the ice but the narrative that he's hobbled and incapable of playing seems overblown.
I agree, I just think having a guy like Oshie come back to his line and now Mantha makes a big difference on covering Nick's weakest trait, his overall speed. Both of those guys can haul the puck.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
Sheary looked great on the fourth line and that's a relief. Don't need our best line to begin to struggle right now.
Lots of encouraging performances last night. Great goaltending.

Probably need to do something about the third line. Adding a w/c seems like a possibility before the tdl, per Mac.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Just watched the 8 min highlights ... Caps goals came with guys in front of the net. Goals 1 and 2 the goalie was completely screened.

Ovie should get an assist for Kuzy first goal. Clearly (but lightly) bumped it up the board to Kuz.

Canes finish checks. Looks like in the 3rd we started to get bogged down in our own end not cleanly clearing the puck out but hard to tell w highlights.

Kracken on Saturday 7 pm at home.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad