Refs Disallowing Replay on Jumbotron of Quick's 'Diving'

Ron*

Replays would certainly slow down the game a lot, but let's be honest, the NHL has a huge problem this post season with officiating.

All fans can agree that just want the right and honest call.

Agree on the point generally about officiating. It has been very inconsistent from game to game.

I think it is more than coincidental also that there has been much more complaining about the officiating when at the same time ALL playoff games are nationally televised for the first time (ever?).

Exposure is King. ;)

Jun 30, 2006
From the TV, it sounded pretty loud with the boos etc.

I was expecting some stuff to be thrown on the ice, actually. Quick's head almost got taken off with that stick and to call it embellishment is absolutely ludicrous. I was pissed they would call that on Quick.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
The call wasn't too bad. because the ref didn't see it, he just saw the aftermath, so he did the safe thing in his mind of giving a penalty to both. We would be more mad if he ignored it entirely

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
was watching NHL tonight and you'd think with one game on the docket that they could have more detailed highlights.

Thought this play was highlight worthy than remembered that the NHL probably owns that station and don't want the bad press for blown calls. FIRST thing i thought of when i saw the 2 minutes up on quick was the BROWN "dive" when smith tried to take off his leg.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
was watching NHL tonight and you'd think with one game on the docket that they could have more detailed highlights.

Thought this play was highlight worthy than remembered that the NHL probably owns that station and don't want the bad press for blown calls. FIRST thing i thought of when i saw the 2 minutes up on quick was the BROWN "dive" when smith tried to take off his leg.

Didn't even show that many interviews. No handshake line... etc. Just a half hour of talking about game 7 for Chicago/Detroit.

KingKopitar11*

I think they showed the replay and then the refs got all pissy with the jumbotron people and told them that they shouldn't show 'controversial plays'. They just didn't like it cause it made them look like a bunch of idiots.

Refs looking like idiots? This is all new to me.

Monarchist

Dec 27, 2010
Clearly the refs are the reason the Sharks lost. That should have been at least a 5 min major called on Quick.

But the real problem isn't this particular call, it's the inconsistency. One game the refs go strictly by the book, and the next game mere attempted decapitation is a considered a penalty.

It's too bad that technology doesn't exist that would enable people to review plays to see if the original call was correct.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If you are the referee and you are behind the goalie like he was and screened from that stick you make the same call.

I don't think the refs have been busting their ass hard enough to get into the proper position to make some of these calls. The quick whistles on pucks that are still lose in the crease especially. It is way too easy for them to assume the goalie has the puck. They need to work harder to actually see the game they are calling.

Last edited:

Sydor25

LA Kings
By the way, Wes McCauley was the referee who called both the embellishment penalty on Quick and also blew the quick whistle on Quick's fumble of the puck in the third period.

So there is that.

Quick still covered the puck before it was ever in danger of going in, it was just a second after the whistle. SJ lost nothing from that "quick" whistle.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I still thought it looked like a high stick from behind, but seriously are we not allowed to show the refs mistakes? There was booing and anger but nothing crazy happened. That's like a normal day when I go to a Flyers game. They made a mistake, they can deal with a little blowback. The way Quick was treated in this series was criminal and I think he got one call the whole series for it.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
It was a terrible call. Would he have gotten a double minor for embellishment if the stick had drawn blood?

yeah, how is this happening? The last 2 diving penalties I've seen in the playoffs were Brown getting tomohawked behind his knees last year by Smith and Quick getting a stick to his chin last night. ???

Have any other diving penalties been called in the last 2 playoffs?

Do the refs have it in for the Kings? I'm not seeing these terrible calls in other series. :help:

Travtera

Apr 16, 2012
I'm a guy that tries to give the refs the benefit of the doubt. It's a tough job, probably the toughest sport to officiate. I understand things happen, calls are going to be blown or missed. Mistakes are a human condition. I also think things are no better or worse overall than in years past. That said, Refs need to be held accountable. If they error, we shouldn't let them sweep it under the rug. Staples Center has every right to show replays on the big screen. If the refs don't like it, tough. Maybe they should worry more about getting the call right.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I've been loving the suttle but hilarious things Quick has been dozing with the refs since the incident after game 3. I think it was in game 4 that a ref was barking at him, and he just turned his back to him and casually took a sip of water. Like nothing was going on. Then last night after his so called dive. He took his sweet time fixing his mask. Kinda like he was saying "oh, so my mask is broken cause i dove?"

I love this dude! Connecticut pride!

Ron*

I've been loving the suttle but hilarious things Quick has been dozing with the refs since the incident after game 3. I think it was in game 4 that a ref was barking at him, and he just turned his back to him and casually took a sip of water. Like nothing was going on. Then last night after his so called dive. He took his sweet time fixing his mask. Kinda like he was saying "oh, so my mask is broken cause i dove?"

I love this dude! Connecticut pride!

Yup. When I saw that i yelled "Take your time Quickie!" :laugh:

Ron*

I'm a guy that tries to give the refs the benefit of the doubt. It's a tough job, probably the toughest sport to officiate. I understand things happen, calls are going to be blown or missed. Mistakes are a human condition. I also think things are no better or worse overall than in years past. That said, Refs need to be held accountable. If they error, we shouldn't let them sweep it under the rug. Staples Center has every right to show replays on the big screen. If the refs don't like it, tough. Maybe they should worry more about getting the call right.

Yeah, I think this kind of thing is going to lead to a rule in the league, where they can't show controversial replays. Other leagues have this rule in place. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Having said that, I give the referees the benefit of the doubt as much as I can. I was an umpire in little league many years ago and the job sucked. I thought I would enjoy it but man the players, the coaches, the parents...I am not sure what it is about sports, even at a kids' level, that makes emotions so high.

After all, it is just a game. We are supposed to enjoy it, right?

Ron*

I don't think the refs have been busting their ass hard enough to get into the proper position to make some of these calls. The quick whistles on pucks that are still lose in the crease especially. It is way too easy for them to assume the goalie has the puck. They need to work harder to actually see the game they are calling.

I don't know enough about refereeing in hockey to know whether positioning is standardized, but I think the big thing for the refs is to stay out of the puck's way. That is paramount and I think it does affect their positioning from time to time. They can't see everything.

I can't criticize because I understand on a certain level how hard that job is. One thing that got me laughing last night was the referee that had to dive out of Carter's slap shot. Talk about being out of position! :laugh:

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
So what?

I was at the game, saw the replay, obviously refs ****ed it up, why belabor the point? The crowd was ready to riot, for Chrissake!

I would have done the same thing if I was a ref. **** that noise. Don't need to rile the crowd anymore than it already is.

Also Quick did embellish it. At this point players seem to think the only way your going to get a call for high sticking is acting like you got shot.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Also Quick did embellish it. At this point players seem to think the only way your going to get a call for high sticking is acting like you got shot.

How did he embellish it? He didn't take a stick to the face or the chest. He took it straight to the neck, an unprotected, very vulnerable area. Lol, at thinking that is embellishment. Let's see what happens when someone jams a stick in your throat.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
This is my biggest complaint on them...and I've mentioned a number of times when they were out of position before... In these...I believe three (of the 35 I caught) were real penalty calls...but not what was actually called...

Of course I have more tolerance towards baseball umpires than I do NHL refs because I've been through a lot of that before as an umpire... Lucky for me...I've only had two major calls challenged in my 20 years as an ump and only 15 ejections... My partners??? Not so lucky...:biglaugh:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I thought the most fair way to assess it would be to high stick a ref directly in the Adam's Apple and gauge his reaction, so we could have a proper control variable. Horrible call but at least it didn't matter in the end.

Captain Mittens*

This is why with increase in technology, the refs should be wearing headsets with microphones and talking with Toronto on decisions on calls like embellishment.

AC4_KHS-7.jpg

I think both the calls on Quick last night and Brown in last year's playoffs shouldn't have ever happened

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Also Quick did embellish it. At this point players seem to think the only way you're going to get a call for high sticking is acting like you got shot.

Not even close to being true. :laugh:

Tell me, how should one react when a hockey stick is crammed into your throat? Do you push back against the stick? Don't move at all?? Or maybe you pull your head back??

one of those ^^^ is the correct answer.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This is why with increase in technology, the refs should be wearing headsets with microphones and talking with Toronto on decisions on calls like embellishment.

I think both the calls on Quick last night and Brown in last year's playoffs shouldn't have ever happened

...and in Pang's "analysis" all he could say is "Smith used a lot of lumber" on Brown. Nothing like it was a CHEAP SHOT with intent to injure. Nothing like it was a BAD call (??????)

Nothing like, "why is Brown even getting a penalty here? Seriously, this is a terrible penalty call by the ref." All he could do was compliment Smith's form.

Just shut your yap already Pang - your Blues shirt is showing *****!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad