Refs Disallowing Replay on Jumbotron of Quick's 'Diving'

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
What in the world was up with the refs not allowing the reply on the jumbotron...?

Clearly, Quick got speared in the neck ala a scene from Braveheart, but, can the refs even do that?

Anyone at the game have any insight we at home didn't have?

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I think they showed the replay and then the refs got all pissy with the jumbotron people and told them that they shouldn't show 'controversial plays'. They just didn't like it cause it made them look like a bunch of idiots.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
It was a terrible call. Would he have gotten a double minor for embellishment if the stick had drawn blood?

Ron*

So what?

I was at the game, saw the replay, obviously refs ****ed it up, why belabor the point? The crowd was ready to riot, for Chrissake!

I would have done the same thing if I was a ref. **** that noise. Don't need to rile the crowd anymore than it already is.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So what?

I was at the game, saw the replay, obviously refs ****ed it up, why belabor the point? The crowd was ready to riot, for Chrissake!

I would have done the same thing if I was a ref. **** that noise. Don't need to rile the crowd anymore than it already is.

If they make a call like that, they shouldn't be surprised by the reaction and verbal lashing from the home crowd. It goes with the territory and happens in every arena.

Ron*

If they make a call like that, they shouldn't be surprised by the reaction and verbal lashing from the home crowd. It goes with the territory and happens in every arena.

It was the worst I ever heard it Ziggy, the fans were incensed. I would have done the same thing if I was a referee.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
It was the worst I ever heard it Ziggy, the fans were incensed. I would have done the same thing if I was a referee.

Huh, I was there as well, but didn't feel it was even close to the worst I've ever heard. Hell, nothing even got thrown onto the ice!

Ron*

In watching the replay, the referee was directly behind Quick and didn't see the stick to the neck.

He never had a chance to see the stick in the neck, so it was just a missed call.

Ron*

I'd consider it a mild reaction on a scale of 1-10, 10 being a hostile Philly crowd.

You don't get the reaction on NBCSN that you get when you are in the stands. It was bad...and maybe I haven't attended as many games as SLang, but for sure I can't recall ever seeing anything but hats thrown onto the ice in Los Angeles! ;)

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I think they showed the replay and then the refs got all pissy with the jumbotron people and told them that they shouldn't show 'controversial plays'. They just didn't like it cause it made them look like a bunch of idiots.

RON PAUL!!! :rant:

Ron*

By the way, Wes McCauley was the referee who called both the embellishment penalty on Quick and also blew the quick whistle on Quick's fumble of the puck in the third period.

So there is that.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
If you are the referee and you are behind the goalie like he was and screened from that stick you make the same call.
In those situation a referee should either:
*call incidental contact
*not call anything
*ask other 3 officials for help on the call.

Referees shouldn't make **** up when they aren't sure...

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
So what?

I was at the game, saw the replay, obviously refs ****ed it up, why belabor the point?

Why so flippin' pissy? Jesus Christ.

Clearly, if this incident was such a moot point, why continue posting?

I don't recall refs ever not allowing a replay on the jumbotron.

I wasn't at the game tonight nor was I shooting it, so I asked all of you guys who happened to go what us at home may have missed.

Don't be a Canucks fan.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
In watching the replay, the referee was directly behind Quick and didn't see the stick to the neck.

He never had a chance to see the stick in the neck, so it was just a missed call.

All this means is that the Refs are being swayed by the media and by either team's players' quotes about certain players (e.g. Sharks players about Quick's "diving"). It's a bunch of ****ing horsecrap and it pisses the **** out of me.

I will be absolutely flabbergasted if the league doesn't allow refs to look at replays for this kind of crap next season. What the **** do I care if it slows the game down just a bit? Make the right ****ing call. I know it'll incite discussion about video review for other parts of games (goalie interference, for example), but these are changes that need to be made. NHL looks bush-league in this very aspect.

Ron*

Why so flippin' pissy? Jesus Christ.

Clearly, if this incident was such a moot point, why continue posting?

I don't recall refs ever not allowing a replay on the jumbotron.

I wasn't at the game tonight nor was I shooting it, so I asked all of you guys who happened to go what us at home may have missed.

Don't be a Canucks fan.

That happens all the time. I think the other leagues actually have a policy against it.

The rest of your post I think I will ignore. Canucks fan, indeed.

Ron*

In those situation a referee should either:
*call incidental contact
*not call anything
*ask other 3 officials for help on the call.

Referees shouldn't make **** up when they aren't sure...

It sure looked like embellishment to me behind the play. I don't have a problem with the call.

If he had the benefit of replay, obviously he doesn't call embellishment.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
It sure looked like embellishment to me behind the play. I don't have a problem with the call.

If he had the benefit of replay, obviously he doesn't call embellishment.

This brings up the question of why diving is not reviewable. Refs should be allowed to look at replays of their calls.

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
This brings up the question of why diving is not reviewable. Refs should be allowed to look at replays of their calls.

Replays would certainly slow down the game a lot, but let's be honest, the NHL has a huge problem this post season with officiating.

All fans can agree that just want the right and honest call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad