Refs Disallowing Replay on Jumbotron of Quick's 'Diving'

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Also Quick did embellish it. At this point players seem to think the only way your going to get a call for high sticking is acting like you got shot.

Yeahhhh not even man. It wasn't one of those driveby highsticks where you get clipped and snap your head back. It was a stick jammed between quick's throat and the player's body. That has a lot of leverage. If you don't go down there, you're asking for trouble.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
Also Quick did embellish it. At this point players seem to think the only way your going to get a call for high sticking is acting like you got shot.

how about this...

lets set up a video camera, and hit you in the throat with a stick and see how you react. then we will compare it to how Quick reacted, and see if it was embellishment...

I've been hit in the throat by the butt end of a stick before, not the blade, and it was a light tap. for some reason when you get hit in the throat, your body goes into HOLY CRAP mode... not to mention it hurts like hell...

Monarchist

Dec 27, 2010

There's no way to know that. He acted within the bounds of how I would expect someone to react. Especially considering it was a surprise hit!

I subscribe to the theory that the penalty for diving IS the problem. The refs are now out their trying to determine if there was actually a penalty or not and then they need to decide if the other player was diving. That is something very subjective and hard to determine. Make this simple for the refs. If there is a penalty on the play, call it. If there isn't a penalty, don't call it. If somebody wants to flop around on the ice then let them.

The NHL should handout suspensions to people repeatedly attempting to draw calls by diving. I say they levy the handslap fine of $1500 for every time they find a blatant dive. After 2 or 3 fines, you get a hearing and a possible one game suspension. I know that is a pipe dream but I think that would really put an end to it. As far as eliminating the diving penalty and just calling legit calls, I think that is realistic as the league was like that less than 10 years ago and the problem has only got worse since the existence of the diving penalty. I don't think the diving call is a deterrent. The $1500 fines aren't either but they'd serve as a warning that you are about to miss a game if you continue that path. The shame having a hearing for your persistent diving episodes IS a deterrent. Just my opinion on the matter...

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
Buddy, they did that coming out of the lockout I think, and the NHLPA demanded it removed. They were fining divers and naming names.

Quick is not historically a flopper, but he was in this series because he kept getting hit. He was trying to draw attention to the illegal contact.

I saw someone post the Smith slash on Brown as well but Brown is a top 3 embellisher in the league.

If you establish a reputation you will not get the benefit of the doubt, especially in the playoffs. Burrows and Lapierre should have drawn several legit calls in the 1st round but they went uncalled, and reputation plays a part in that. The ref won't make a call against certain players unless they are ABSOLUTELY sure there was an infraction.

The thing with divers/embellishers is that they know when to do it. Two or three calls against your team in a row will bring the divers out. The refs are more likely to make a call. Brown is a master of it. He picks his spots. His ability to draw penalties in the playoffs suffers because of it though and him being tripped in the slot in game 6 is a prime example of him not getting the benefit of the doubt on a legit tripping call.

They need to start naming and fining the divers. It gets worse and worse every year.

I wear my Brown jersey to every game, but I see why people around the league think he is a *********, and I do wish he would cut that part out of his game.

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
On the flipside,

A guy like Drew Doughty or Mike Richards try to fight through their checks and the refs WON'T make the obvious calls. Teams throw more picks similar to the Burns call on Regehr at Doughty than anyone. Period. It is why he is always chasing a ref around after a whistle. If Doughty dove more he might get those calls, but dmen can't take themselves out of a play by taking a dive.

I don't know if the TV feed showed it...but it was obvious at Staples...on the face-off during the sequence where Quick robbed Pavelski with 5 to play...the only reason that Vlasic was wide open for the point shot is because the Shark forward latched on to Richards and didn't let him get out to the point. The same EXACT play that Muzzin was called for interference earlier in the game. If Richards takes a dive he probably gets the call. Intead, he fights through the check, doesn't get the call, and the Sharks probably should have scored. Richards went right after the ref asking why he didn't call it.

Players feel they have to embellish so the proper call is made.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
On the flipside,

A guy like Drew Doughty or Mike Richards try to fight through their checks and the refs WON'T make the obvious calls. Teams throw more picks similar to the Burns call on Regehr at Doughty than anyone. Period. It is why he is always chasing a ref around after a whistle. If Doughty dove more he might get those calls, but dmen can't take themselves out of a play by taking a dive.

I don't know if the TV feed showed it...but it was obvious at Staples...on the face-off during the sequence where Quick robbed Pavelski with 5 to play...the only reason that Vlasic was wide open for the point shot is because the Shark forward latched on to Richards and didn't let him get out to the point. The same EXACT play that Muzzin was called for interference earlier in the game. If Richards takes a dive he probably gets the call. Intead, he fights through the check, doesn't get the call, and the Sharks probably should have scored. Richards went right after the ref asking why he didn't call it.

Players feel they have to embellish so the proper call is made.

Oh for sure. I was thinking the exact same thing. That lane opened up for the shot due to the interference.

Either call em both, or call neither, but embellishment is in the game for plays like that.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I said to myself last night that if they lost that game it wouldn't be because of the absurd officiating, it'd be because they blew it, pure and simple. If you go to the Sharks board it's just an embarrassment. There are a few calling the others out on this nonsense but the feeling over there is that the refs were out to get the sharks..... which is such garbage. I know we'd have a few here with tinfoil hats if the tables were turned but it's just an embarrassment over there.

In watching this series it became clear to me that the team who was going to win was the team that would be able to kill the BS penalties against them. The officiating in this league continues to spiral downward. I have no idea why Shannahan is in charge, a man with ZERO officiating experience and not exactly a Lady Byng award winner either. It just seemed like 75% of the calls that were made shouldn't have been while at the same time allowing both teams to slash, elbow, and interfere. Quick should have gotten at least 3 or 4 calls with these guys constantly in his crease, I don't here anyone on the Sharks board complaining about that. It was poor officiating BOTH WAYS.

And with Torres, I can admit that the suspension wouldn't have been as severe if it had been 99% of the players in this league, but the Sharks HAD to know what they were signing up for. You get a guy like that you just know the league is watching his every move so why take the risk in the first place?

Just such a shame we can't win a series without having to hear this ****ing and moaning.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
LAK Drummer,

Unfortunately people love to blame the refs, it happens on this board to (although nothing like I've seen at their board).

The Sharks lost because they couldn't score enough goals 5 on 5, which is the same reason the Kings would have lost the series. The Sharks also failed to get any production from their bottom 6 forwards and Marleau and Pavelski largely no-showed.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Not even close to being true. :laugh:

Tell me, how should one react when a hockey stick is crammed into your throat? Do you push back against the stick? Don't move at all?? Or maybe you pull your head back??

one of those ^^^ is the correct answer.

If someone takes a flat hand to the throat 7 out of 10 men go down. I can only imagine a hockey stick to the adams.

Winger23

May 3, 2007

This is true, and if you watch the replay of Richards getting high sticked the only reason it got called was due to Richards reaction. Ref did not see the high stick itself just Richards reaction.

Monarchist

Dec 27, 2010
Quick should have gotten at least 3 or 4 calls with these guys constantly in his crease, I don't here anyone on the Sharks board complaining about that.

It's ok for Refs to hold back a little on calling people for goalie interference because they have the intermediate fix of waving off a goal scored because of it after the fact. This is unlike other penalties, where they either have to call it or let it go as legal.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Replays would certainly slow down the game a lot, but let's be honest, the NHL has a huge problem this post season with officiating.

All fans can agree that just want the right and honest call.

It's been atrocious for a few years now. Remember Brown's dive call last year when he got chopped down by Smith in the wcf? There is zero consistency on what is and isn't a penalty from shift to shift... Needs to be someway to make the refs accountable for blown/missed/wrong calls. But that won't happen with the front office the nhl has in place, same thing in baseball which has been fighting that battle for years.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Replays would certainly slow down the game a lot, but let's be honest, the NHL has a huge problem this post season with officiating.

All fans can agree that just want the right and honest call.

I don't think it would delay the game too much. If you have a penalty called there is already a delay and if the TV people have enough time to review the play during that delay. Sometimes the refs will meet together and discuss calls, it would be the same as that but with some video footage. You could even have an extra Ref at the game that is watching the replay angles that could help.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I don't think it would delay the game too much. If you have a penalty called there is already a delay and if the TV people have enough time to review the play during that delay. Sometimes the refs will meet together and discuss calls, it would be the same as that but with some video footage. You could even have an extra Ref at the game that is watching the replay angles that could help.

...and then we have the replay officials to deal with. I recall a couple of high stick goals...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad