"REF YOU SUCK" chant an Embarr "ass"ment

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
-3000 -5000 fans must have been involved in a "REF YOU SUCK" chant after Bogo got a 4 minute high sticking penalty........

- It was the the 1st or maybe 2nd penalty against us all game.... the ref is doing his job to the best of his abbilities....... if a Reff is constantly screwing up Im sure he would be on the red carpet infront of the NHL brass....... all officiating games are reviewed and scrutinized ..... by higher ups to make sure the games are being called the way the NHL wants

- When that chant was going on ......I felt quezy in my stomache and did not want to be there..... I felt bad for Winnipegs Rep becoming as low class/low brow.

- 1 minute later they showed the replay on the big screen and Bogo cleary raked his stick across his opponents face......

So 3000 -5000 fans chanted "REF YOU SUCK" and were clearly wrong....... if you were one of these fans chanting...... lets discuss how being wrong makes you feel on this thread

I think some of the chants are fun........ creative and unique......... however the fans need to use their internal filter and not be sheep and follow everything that is said....... Other fans have to realize they are not as funny as they think they are....

My personel favorite was "silver medal".....that being said I dont want to hear it again on April 9 th when Buffallo is in town .... been there done that and all.

" Ref you SUCK" I think has its place......... maybe once a year after a 10 bad penalties.......... not on the 1st or 2nd call against our team......

IMHO:help:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
- When that chant was going on ......I felt quezy in my stomache and did not want to be there..... I felt bad for Winnipegs Rep becoming as low class/low brow.

It's called Pepto bro, should clear that right up. ;)

As for the chant I like it. I honestly think it's the home town crowd's job to give the refs a hard time whether they make the right call or not, if it's against your team boo it. I don't see anything "low class/low brow" about it. Plus frankly this is a sporting event, as long as you're courteous to those around you, you should enjoy the game however you wish.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
"Ref you suck" is far better than what every other rink I have been in shouts out....

something along the lines of a bowel movement for a adult male of the species Bos taurus (cattle).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know I think it is just an emotional reaction that at times is accurate and other times is misplaced. Most refs have really thick skin and have been getting booed and yelled at by parents of kids since they put on the stripes the first time.....it got them prepped for junior hockey where they got booed by bigger crowds, and finally the NHL where they are seasoned veterans of abuse.

They have a REALLY tough job to do and I respect the craft..........for the life of me I have no idea how they can get young kids to ref kids hockey with the abuse they take from parents....if I had a magic wand to wave I would ban any abusive parents from games and they would have to sit in their cars on a "time out" and wait for their kids to finish up.

On balance though as long as they get the call right I am guessing its water off their back as far as how the home crowd reacts. I think you have to dance to the beat of a different drummer to officiate and if anyone can take a bit of abuse and not have it bother them I am guessing it's this group.

I don't think the MTS centre crowd is any worse than other cities I have watched games in.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
The refs were horrible as usual. It's not about being biased. They're horrible nearly every game in this league. Pavelec gets run over (don't say Bogo pushed him in because he didn't) with no call but Desjardins can dive his way into a penalty. Stop whining about chants or fans booing. We're paying hundreds or thousands of dollars, it's our right.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
I've been watching hockey for 38 years and trust me, the Refs do indeed suck. How many times have you heard anybody say, "Now that was a well called game."?

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Oh settle down, it's really not a big deal

This.

The Bogo call was the right call, however, there's been a ton of borderline / non existent calls this year, and the refs deserve to hear it. The players / teams can't say anything, so at least they gotta hear it from the fans.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I love how some fans feel they have the right to criticize other money paying fans..... These people must only make it to jet games between their idle no more / occupy wall street rallies :D

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Yup, I wasn't at that game but that time the crowd was wrong and it felt a bit awkward, but it happens, you can't get too bent out of shape about it.

I'm just glad we don't chant "Bull ****" anymore. It's a little crass and not fun for any parents there who brought their kids. "Ref you suck" is wayyyyy better, even if we are wrong.

I don't the "Ref you suck" chant is going anywhere, better get use to it.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
This.

The Bogo call was the right call, however, there's been a ton of borderline / non existent calls this year, and the refs deserve to hear it. The players / teams can't say anything, so at least they gotta hear it from the fans.

I was going to post something this this.
There have been some real brutal calls/non calls all season.

the dump in, interference/no interference by rubbing the player into the boards call has really got my goat.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Dude Chill!! We all thought he was getting a penalty for the hit until we saw the replay and realized it was a high stick

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
This.

Agreed. Hopefully in the future, fans wait to see the replay before the chant, but the chant shall continue.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We're really having ANOTHER thread about the fans eh?
@MODS why not create an all encompassing FAN thread?

You are welcome to ignore this or any other thread. If it interests forum members it will stay near the top, if it doesn't it will disappear. That's how threads work here. Click the X in the top right corner of the thread description and it will disappear forever.

Dude Chill!! We all thought he was getting a penalty for the hit until we saw the replay and realized it was a high stick

That's exactly what happened. After awful officiating all game, we were riled up. When we saw the replay, everyone was like 'yep, that was a penalty'. Still doesn't change the fact that there were a LOT of blown calls.

Also, 29 other rinks do the very same thing, so I don't see how this is Winnipeg focused AT ALL. As a matter of fact, Jets fans do not do the ref you suck chant NEAR as much as other buildings.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Also, for the record, while we're on the topic of refs sucking...

1. Pavs got SMOKED - No penalty - Refs you suck!

2. Wheels DIDN'T even TOUCH Desjardins, but because of the head snap he did drew an interference penalty - Refs you suck!

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Bogo's penalty may have been worth a 2 minute, it looked like on the replay it was his own stick (not Bogos) which hit him in the face. Bogo lifted his stick.

You know what was worse? Wheeler getting called for goalie interference... Desjardins made that look like he was shot!

Man there are a ton of whiny fans lately... everything from *****ing about a whiteout, to trading byfuglien, to buff playing forward, now the chants. When will you guys grow up?

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
You are welcome to ignore this or any other thread. If it interests forum members it will stay near the top, if it doesn't it will disappear. That's how threads work here. Click the X in the top right corner of the thread description and it will disappear forever.

That's exactly what happened. After awful officiating all game, we were riled up. When we saw the replay, everyone was like 'yep, that was a penalty'. Still doesn't change the fact that there were a LOT of blown calls.

Also, 29 other rinks do the very same thing, so I don't see how this is Winnipeg focused AT ALL. As a matter of fact, Jets fans do not do the ref you suck chant NEAR as much as other buildings.

Oh hey cool, I didn't know this, thanks! :handclap:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
-3000 -5000 fans must have been involved in a "REF YOU SUCK" chant after Bogo got a 4 minute high sticking penalty........
:

My reasoning for vocalizing my displeasure was because Bogo was give 4 minutes after the ref had already decided to give him 2 minutes.

- Bogo highsticks the Tampa player. Fine. I saw it and it was a penalty.

- Ref skates over to player that was highsticked to see if there is an injury that would result in a 4 minute penalty.

- Ref skates to the penalty box to assign the penalty

- Just before reaching the penalty box, the ref is called back to the Tampa bench to once again see if the player was injured.

- Ref skates to the penalty box and gives Bogo 4 minutes for highsticking with an injury.

See anything wrong with this? The refs initial assessment would have resulted in 2 minutes, not 4 minutes. But because he went back to the Tampa bench ( after who knows what the player / trainer did to make it look worse ) Bogo got 4 minutes.

"Ref you Suck"

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yup, I wasn't at that game but that time the crowd was wrong and it felt a bit awkward, but it happens, you can't get too bent out of shape about it.

I'm just glad we don't chant "Bull ****" anymore. It's a little crass and not fun for any parents there who brought their kids. "Ref you suck" is wayyyyy better, even if we are wrong.

I don't the "Ref you suck" chant is going anywhere, better get use to it.

That's the thing. Even when the ref makes the right call, he still indeed sucks. Therefore the fans aren't wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad