Ref Bias? Stats don't lie

dreamingofdrouin*

48065121.jpg

lmao:laugh:

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
He's worse than Kerry Fraser and Mick McGeough. I just hope he won't refs any games in the playoffs.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The premise though is that these aren't equal-probability events in the first place, that it's _not_ a simple coin toss. There may or may not be "weighted dice". After probing a little more, the unfortunate next step is for us to have Lee ref 1 million games against us. I think I would rather just leave it classified as either a statistical outlier or an open question than find out the answer, given that.

NOOOOOOOO!!! That might mean no cup for the next 10 000 years! :laugh:

Enough with the mad scientific experiments!

What is it going to be next? Testing nuclear radiation on kittens?

Halifaxhab*

Well, it's only 16 games. I'm pretty sure everybody agrees he's a terrible ref and makes phantom calls on everyone. Yet, even before I knew the record was 3-13, I would cringe in dread everytime I heard he was going to ref our game, because I knew we've had some bad results from him. So somebody has to make the sacrifice and go through the video of those 16 games and see where his phantom calls stack up. The Tampa game was balanced, bad both ways, I think we all agree on that. What about the other 15? :naughty:

Even my wife knows who Chris Lee is, and she walks past, sees his name listed at the start of a game, rolls her eyes and asks "how does that idiot still have a job?".......and I STILL have to explain to my wife what offside is.....and she's more qualified than him

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I bet every team in the league has a losing record when Chris Lee refs their games... even if that is statistically impossible, he is so bad he'd find a way to make it happen :sarcasm:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I bet every team in the league has a losing record when Chris Lee refs their games... even if that is statistically impossible, he is so bad he'd find a way to make it happen :sarcasm:

Even if it's formally and logically impossible, I'm sure Chris Lee will find a way. And that shall be his legacy to the world of mathematics and statistics.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
No question Lee blows but he has a long way to go before he touches the bias ref Art Skov had on behalf of the Broad Street Bullies back in the 70s.

Former Rangers coach Emile Francis talking about Gm. 7 of the '74 semis: "I'll tell that was the most...if I was to pick out a point in my career in hockey, the most disappointing time, we were back to Philadelphia and we had a tough series. ***** it was knock down, drag out like, you know? And we went out for our warm-up, and the series was tied 3-3, we were playing the seventh game in Philadelphia. And where we were, the runway down to the ice, all of a sudden I hear a helluva roar go up. I says, what the hell is this? So I ran down that runway and I look like, you know? And the referees came out, two linesmen and Art Skov. And on the scoreboard they put: The Philadelphia Flyers have won 25 straight games with Art Skov refereeing." And they give him a standing ovation. Well, I'll tell you, that is the worst, most embarrasing thing I've ever seen in hockey. I'd never seen a crowd give a referee a standing ovation."

That game 7 of course featured Dave Schultz's infamous beat down of Rangers defenseman (and non-fighter) Dale Rolfe. What many forget is that though Schultz instigated the fight, and repeatedly pulled Rolfe's hair throughout, Skov simply gave both men matching fighting majors. Any other ref tosses Schultz from the game, but not Skov. In that years Finals, in the 6th and deciding game against Boston, Skov was again given a standing O by the Flyers faithful and stayed true to his bias, calling Bobby Orr for a questionable interference penalty with under three minutes left in a one goal game.

Lee may suck, but he's a long, long, long way to go to reach Skov's level of blatant bias.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Anyone want to count up the PP's for and against during those 16 games?

There's two refs nowadays but I'm always amazed in Chris Lee games how the other guy tries to keep up and calls cheesy chintsy penalties as well.

Before games the refs talk about what they are going to tolerate and try as much as possible to get on the same page with one another. So if Lee is insistent on calling a very tight game, then the other ref is also going to try to call it very tight so that a penalty at one end of the rink is a penalty at the other end as well.

And the more tightly you try to call a game the more cheesy/bad penalty calls your going to make.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Chris Lee just goes a little farther than other refs, standard procedure:

-Go a little homer (Lee is a homer ref according to stats)
-But don't listen to habs fans (general narrative, takes a real ref to go against the habs at home and the game will sell out anyway)

So Lee is a wuss. Homer calls elsewhere to please the fans, but not in Montreal to go with the narrative and the Toronto-based media. Statistically the home ice/field advantage is ref/ump based.

Halifaxhab*

Chris Lee sucks so bad he is what happens when you divide by zero.

Analyzer*

The funny thing is, Chris Lee ****ing sucks as a ref for everyone.

The guy picks one team every game he's in and ****s them over.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
i dont have a PP count, but i would bet we have more time on the PK then PP, although as you said. The 'other guy' makes a lot of cheap calls to counter. (sometimes)

How can the Habs cut down on their penalties and get more calls in their favor? Maintain puck possession, something they don't do enough. Do they get a thrill out of killing penalties or are they just plain sloppy and absent minded?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The Montreal typical stuff is so dumb. Wasn't it 2011-2012 when the habs had the fewest pp opportunities in the league? It was either that or they were the most penalized.

Its just a way for opposing fans to troll. If anyone really believes it, they aren't worth talking to anyways.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
We have anti-slander rules, so I'll be nice. But he's always been bad and into influencing the narratives of games, even we he was in juniors. Some might say he also has self-aggrandizing tendencies.

Having problems figuring out how he made it to the Q, I struggle to know how he turned pro and made it to the show. The mind boggles.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Chris Lee is a bad ref. I remember at the time that he waved off that Gomez goal a few years back, at that point he had reffed like 3 playoff games in 10 years or something ridiculously low. He's a bad ref and the nhl knows, but he's unionized.

Was it Scott's only goal?

void

Jan 5, 2006
LOL Tony Marinaro and Conor McKenna totally read HFBoards. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad