Confirmed with Link: Reeds leaving team for health reasons

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It almost feels like we're constantly attacked by cancer these days. Nearly every month I hear of another family member or a friend or family member of a friend getting hit with it.

It's not right. It's like a plague.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
I've been lucky , so far, that cancer hasn't touched my family.... but my wife's best friend got it at 32 in her breast, beat it for a year, then started getting headaches went to the dr, and they said she had it in her brain and was dead 1 month later... its such a crazy disease... Hopeful thoughts here for Reed, Murray and all their family members

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
It almost feels like we're constantly attacked by cancer these days. Nearly every month I hear of another family member or a friend or family member of a friend getting hit with it.

The noticeable increase in cancer these days is pretty depressing. I notice dental hygienists routinely checking for oral cancer now. I know longevity is a major culprit, but apparently the increase of incidences for some specific cancers is not entirely due to aging...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The noticeable increase in cancer these days is pretty depressing. I notice dental hygienists routinely checking for oral cancer now. I know longevity is a major culprit, but apparently the increase of incidences for some specific cancers is not entirely due to aging...

Longevity is pretty much the entire culprit. Life expectancy continues to rise at about 2.2 years per decade. For the last few years, the Canadian Cancer Society's annual stats show cancer rates as flat on a per capita basis, and actually slightly declining in children. People are, though, living longer, and cancer is in most cases a disease associated with aging. (50 - 60 years ago, many people didn't live long enough to get cancer - other things got them first.)

None of this is to suggest that we slow down our efforts on cancer, because progress has been stubbornly slow on many forms of it. My wife and I have both lost friends and family to it, and it is absolutely the most awful experience imaginable. It's just useful to remember that there isn't an epidemic, even though it feels like it some days.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Terrible ****ing disease, it touches everyone sooner or later.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Terrible ****ing disease, it touches everyone sooner or later.

I really hope murray and reeds recover. I think there is more we can do with our routine lifestyles to better avoid it in the future. We are doing so many things wrong right now, it's hard to quantify the effect our behaviour has on our bodies.
I don't believe it's just a disease we have no defense against.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I really hope murray and reeds recover. I think there is more we can do with our routine lifestyles to better avoid it in the future. We are doing so many things wrong right now, it's hard to quantify the effect our behaviour has on our bodies.

If we were able to go back to the way the world was 200 years ago, we could eradicate cancer.

It's just a part of being human now.

Life as healthy a lifestyle as you can and you give yourself a chance to get through it if it ever comes your way.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I have a friend who has a lot of cancer in her family & she is fighting a battle of her own. She has been taking the normal treatments from doctors but along with that she has also been taking vitamin C & mistletoe injections for quite a while now. While it is very expensive these treatments do seem to have stabilized her situation for now which is encouraging. The biggest problem is the cost which health care doesn't cover because it's from a homeopath. I wish both the Murray family & the Reed family the very best in dealing with this terrible situation.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I have a friend who has a lot of cancer in her family & she is fighting a battle of her own. She has been taking vitamin C & mistletoe injections for quite a while now, while it is very expensive these treatments do seem to have stabilized her situation for now which is encouraging. The biggest problem is the cost which health care doesn't cover because it's from a homeopath.

i'm not trying to suggest anything here, tell me if this is a relevant question.
Is it possible that when a disease runs through a family whether it's heart disease, cancer, other, can it be partly due to the lifestyle the family lives? Because, don't most family members share a lot of common behaviours?
Not trying to make any accusations, just thinking.

I hope your friend can get healthy again.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
i'm not trying to suggest anything here, tell me if this is a relevant question.
Is it possible that when a disease runs through a family whether it's heart disease, cancer, other, can it be partly due to the lifestyle the family lives? Because, don't most family members share a lot of common behaviours?
Not trying to make any accusations, just thinking.

I hope your friend can get healthy again.

Probably, I just don't know enough about it to be honest. There is some hope for the future with nano technology whereby these minute robotics are swallowed in a pill & they find tumours & destroy them but that could be a decade away if it even becomes a reality, who knows.

I think you are what you eat & you're right people for the most part tend to eat what their parents ate. If the wife is the cook in the family she will likely cook what she was taught to make & visa versa. While smoking has decreased considerably over the past decade there was a time when a majority of people smoked at work, at home, in the car everywhere & if parents smoked the kids were most likely to smoke as well. Thankfully that has changed substantially.

I also tend to think with all the pollution corporations put into the air, into the water sources, into the land & into the animals & food we eat it wouldn't surprise me in the least if those things are cancer related. It's why I support vertical farms whereby we can eliminate pesticides & basically all of the vegetables we grow would be organic. Bets thing to do is educate ourselves & try & live the healthiest lifestyle we can given the circumstances we have been dealt to live with & hope for the best.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I have a friend who has a lot of cancer in her family & she is fighting a battle of her own. She has been taking the normal treatments from doctors but along with that she has also been taking vitamin C & mistletoe injections for quite a while now. While it is very expensive these treatments do seem to have stabilized her situation for now which is encouraging. The biggest problem is the cost which health care doesn't cover because it's from a homeopath. I wish both the Murray family & the Reed family the very best in dealing with this terrible situation.
I should hope homeopathy doesn't get covered considering it's "not effective for treating any condition."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...reating-any-condition-australian-report-finds

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I do think the environment has a lot to do with it. With world is so much more polluted nowadays. No matter what you do, you have to inhale the air, drink water and eat.....and all of it is polluted at some level.

This is going to sound weird, but I think the biggest problem with the spread of caner in the body occurs after the doctors take a biopsy or start cutting into it. Any time you "break the seal" in a manner of speaking, you risk having cancer cells spread around the body. That's one of the main reasons I'd go the homeopathic route if (actually when, because everyone in my extended family gets it) cancer hits.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I do think the environment has a lot to do with it. With world is so much more polluted nowadays. No matter what you do, you have to inhale the air, drink water and eat.....and all of it is polluted at some level.

This is going to sound weird, but I think the biggest problem with the spread of caner in the body occurs after the doctors take a biopsy or start cutting into it. Any time you "break the seal" in a manner of speaking, you risk having cancer cells spread around the body. That's one of the main reasons I'd go the homeopathic route if (actually when, because everyone in my extended family gets it) cancer hits.

Dude.

That's not how a biopsy works.

And please don't go the homeopathic route...medical science has made amazing progress in battling cancer. Early detection is the key.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Wish him nothing but the best, been lucky not to have cancer run in my immediate family so far. Closest thing to something this bad was my grand dad dying from a heart attack while he was sleeping.

goplayer

Nov 18, 2011
My sister ignored a lump because a homeopath told her it was not a problem. Died of cancer one year later.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I wish Reeds all the best in his battle.

Cancer has touched my family quite a bit over the recent years. My mom, grandmother (mom's side), grandfather (dad's side) and great aunt have all experienced / are currently dealing with cancer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad