Proposal: Redwings/Oilers (Lucic)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Sounds like Lucic wants out of Canada and his contract is arguably the worst in the league.....

Proposal:

Red Wings receive Milan Lucic (1 mil/yr retained by Edmonton)

Edmonton Receives Justin Abdelkader

Red Wings take on an extra 750K a year for the same length as it would have cost to keep Abdelkader. They receive an enforcer who produces at a better rate than Abdelkader.

Oilers get to move on from Lucic and receive a little cap off the books for the same length as Lucic, while also getting a veteran presence and high character player who can chip in some points. Still willing to drop the gloves to protect his teammates and is currently the assistant captain of the Red Wings.

Abdelkader - 35 points in 75 games, 16:33 a night IT
Lucic - 34 points in 82 games, 15:58 IT a night

Yep, that Lucic, really outproducing Abby. Oh, by the way, Lucic spent over half his ice time with Connor McDavid. And all but about 15% of it with either McDavid, Draisaitl, or Poolparty/RNH.

The fact that he had prior years with more points is completely irrelevant, as that's a big part of why Lucic is the worst contract in hockey. He's gone off the table like everyone always knew he would with his playstyle.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Lucic is actually still an effective player. Abdelkader is not.

Pass.

Abdelkader had more counting stats in less games with less 5v5 time and more PK time while playing significant amounts of time centered by Frans Nielsen. Also a good amount of time with Dylan Larkin.

At every single turn, Lucic has more talent on the ice with him than Justin Abdelkader

McDavid >>> Larkin
Draisaitl > Zetterberg, Nielsen
RNH > whoever the Wings ran out as 3C.

Mantha and Nyquist > Poolparty, but whoever Edmonton has on top line wings > Little Bert, Frk, AA, etc.

Get your head out of your Edmonton-loving ass. Milan Lucic is ****ing terrible and will keep getting worse. Abby isn't any good either, but he's producing just about equal to Lucic while playing with far worse talent.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
For better or worse the Red Wings love Abdelkader. If you want to dump lucic for a player the wings truly appreciate you’re going to have to incentivize the deal.

Sorry Oilers fans, feel free to disagree about their value but it’s not going to change anything from Detroit’s perspective.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
For better or worse the Red Wings love Abdelkader. If you want to dump lucic for a player the wings truly appreciate you’re going to have to incentivize the deal.

Sorry Oilers fans, feel free to disagree about their value but it’s not going to change anything from Detroit’s perspective.

To clarify Sirloin's point.

Red Wings (management) loves Abdelkader. The coaching staff values what he can do. Before you fly off the handle thinking that Wings fans are being unreasonable.

Abby is an okay player who has a much longer contract than he deserves. That being said, it makes very little sense to trade his bad contract for a worse contract on a player who is trending in a worse direction.

Reactions: SirloinUB

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lucic has gotten - and largely deserved - all kinds of crap this offseason for being old, slow, done, washed up, lazy, etc etc etc.

So we retain for 5 years and save a teeny tiny bit of cap space to get a guy that had one more point, is two years over, and had a 21 point season the year before?

Why does Edmonton do this? To be able to sign one more 8th defenceman at league minimum?

Pass.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Considering Abdelkader outscored Lucic this season, I am not convinced that is the case.

And in his 16/17 season he got outscored by Stajan, but let’s make sure nobody but Oiler fans remember that. Only what happened in the last 35 games of last season counts, right?

Abdelkader is also a big slow PWF that plays an abrasive game and he’s two years older than Lucic. Where’s the ‘his style of game will cause him break down’ rhetoric?

There’s no point for Edmonton to retain and get a bad player back that’s signed for just as long and provides minimal cap relief.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Abdelkader is also a big slow PWF that plays an abrasive game and he’s two years older than Lucic. Where’s the ‘his style of game will cause him break down’ rhetoric

Speaking of rhetoric... Abby is 1 year older and a good skater.

He has his own issues to be sure but you’re off base here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Speaking of rhetoric... Abby is 1 year older and a good skater.

He has his own issues to be sure but you’re off base here.

He really looked like he was slowing down in the last couple years. I know he was a good skater at one point but that wasn’t my impression lately. Could be wrong and still wouldn’t do OP though.

rod

Apr 19, 2018
Sounds like Lucic wants out of Canada and his contract is arguably the worst in the league.....

Proposal:

Red Wings receive Milan Lucic (1 mil/yr retained by Edmonton)

Edmonton Receives Justin Abdelkader

Red Wings take on an extra 750K a year for the same length as it would have cost to keep Abdelkader. They receive an enforcer who produces at a better rate than Abdelkader.

Oilers get to move on from Lucic and receive a little cap off the books for the same length as Lucic, while also getting a veteran presence and high character player who can chip in some points. Still willing to drop the gloves to protect his teammates and is currently the assistant captain of the Red Wings.

Absolutely NO!!!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He really looked like he was slowing down in the last couple years. I know he was a good skater at one point but that wasn’t my impression lately. Could be wrong and still wouldn’t do OP though.

I mean he’s not a high end burner but he is still a good skater that doesn’t struggle to get around the ice.

Lucic should have more offensive potential for a competeting team. I think Abby’s contract should age better than lucic due to better skating and more experience playing throughout a line up.

On the other side OP really doesn’t offer anything of value for a rebuilding team so why would they take on the extra cap?

I think this is one of those deals where both teams are better off sticking with what they have for now.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad