Proposal: Redwings/Oilers (Lucic)

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Sounds like Lucic wants out of Canada and his contract is arguably the worst in the league.....

Proposal:

Red Wings receive Milan Lucic (1 mil/yr retained by Edmonton)

Edmonton Receives Justin Abdelkader

Red Wings take on an extra 750K a year for the same length as it would have cost to keep Abdelkader. They receive an enforcer who produces at a better rate than Abdelkader.

Oilers get to move on from Lucic and receive a little cap off the books for the same length as Lucic, while also getting a veteran presence and high character player who can chip in some points. Still willing to drop the gloves to protect his teammates and is currently the assistant captain of the Red Wings.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They have the same amount of term. Wouldn't even do it with Lucic at his full clip.

And Abdelkader is a hometown guy. I can't see the Wings moving him even if his contract sucks.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Reasons this is a horrible offer
- Oilers retain 1 million on Looch, making Abdelkaders caphit 5.5m just 0.5m less
- Contracts both end in 2023 but Abdelkader is what, 2 years older?
- Abdelkader is far worse player offensively. We need scoring wingers.

I agree with the above poster, I wouldn't consider this trade even if Lucic was at 6m

Edit: Lucic is also a high character vet who is willing to drop the gloves for his teammate, chips in more points, and is an alternate captain on the Oilers. No deal.

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
- Oilers retain 1 million on Looch, making Abdelkaders caphit 5.5m just 0.5m less

I agree with the above poster, I wouldn't consider this trade even if Lucic was at 6m

Huh....cap friendly has Abdelkader cap hit at 4.25 mil.... that would be 750k saving to Oilers

And I think Abby is only 1 year older

Habib21

Jun 23, 2015
Oops thought it was 4.5 from memory. My apologies.
250k is not much of a difference big picture, still doesn't tip the scales for me.

No worries. Hard to find a trade that people on both sides like.. much easier to find a trade everyone hates. ;)

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No worries. Hard to find a trade that people on both sides like.. much easier to find a trade everyone hates. ;)

Goal of trading Lucic is to clear out as much cap as possible. Clearing out 750k for an inferior player just isn't worth it for the Oilers!

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
giphy.gif

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Horrendous for Detroit.

P.s. i didnt even look at the proposal but i know any Lucic trade is going to be disastrous for the other team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lucic the worst contract in the league? You guys are getting lazy. There's 4 equally bad contracts just from his UFA class alone. You've got Andrew Ladd making 5.5 for the next 5 years while producing 31 and 29 point seasons. You've got Kyle Okposo making 6 for the next 5 years while producing 45 and 44 point seasons. You've got Loui Eriksson making 6 for the next 4 years while producing 24 and 23 point seasons. And you've got David Backes making 6 for the next 3 years while producing 38 and 33 point season.

Meanwhile Lucic at 6 for 5 years puts up a 50 and 34 point season and he's suddenly the worst contract in the league. All these contracts are awful.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Edit: Lucic is also a high character vet who is willing to drop the gloves for his teammate, chips in more points, and is an alternate captain on the Oilers. No deal.
Wrong Abdelkaders cap hit is $4.25 million and he's only 1 year older then Lucic not 2 years.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Although I doubt Holland would ever ask him to, Abdelkader is highly unlikely to waive his NTC to go to Edmonton... Considering all players wives seem to hate Edmonton with a passion and his is currently around 6 mos. pregnant, I doubt he would even want to start that conversation with her... Plus he'd be going to a market where his roasting by the fan base would increase ten fold.

If he did waive though, this trade would likely be a win for the Oilers and awful for Detroit.

Actually, Abdelkaders cap hit would still be 4.25M a season, so they'd save .75M. The extra million would show up on their cap as retention for Milan Lucic, which would be a justified penalty for handing out such a terrible contract.

As for offense, Abdelkader obviously hasn't been nearly as productive as Lucic in the past, but had more goals and points this past season in 7 less games while average a minute less at 5v5 and 13 seconds more on the PP. And that was with a much less talented supporting cast at C than he'd have in Edmonton... I'd argue that given their respective skating ability, Abdelkader would be much more productive and for longer as an Oiler than Lucic will. Abdelkaders most productive seasons came while playing next to a broken down Pavel Datsyuk, so I'd imagine he does much better parked next to one of the Oilers much better options at C.

Umm... Abdelkader does all of those too. He wears an A for the Wings, chipped in more points than Lucic this past season and had the same amount of fighting majors (a scant 4 for each...). He even takes stupid penalties like Lucic. While Lucic is clearly more gifted in the intimidation and fist tossing department, Abdelkader offers things that are more valuable in todays NHL.... Like the above mentioned ability to actually keep up with play... And when Abdelkader isn't producing, he can at least still go out and kill penalties if needed. When Lucic isn't producing he can... umm... look mean and run goalies?

I'd take Abdelkader at $4.25M over Lucic at $5M every day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad