Injury Report: Redmond taken to hospital after skate cut - [UPDATE]: Out for season

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yikes, that's frightening. A lacerated femoral artery can be life-threatening if it's not treated immediately, we're talking about massive blood loss within minutes. For those of you who follow the NFL, that's the exact injury that Sean Taylor died of, albeit from a gunshot wound.

Glad to hear Zach is doing ok. Great job by the Jets training staff and their players (apparently it was Mittens and Peluso) of not panicking and getting pressure on it immediately.
I just hope this doesn't effect his livelihood.

Kid was gonna cash in this off season. I hope he still can.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Terrible luck, and a terrible place to get cut. Good job by the players to help him until the ambulance arrived.

Hope he makes a full recovery and comes back good as new.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Any idea how long it would take to recover from something like this? How much muscle or nerve damage would there be? Is this season-ending? Career-threatening?

I'm not a doctor, but a femoral artery laceration has very serious life threatening potential. That he's not dead is great in itself. I hope for a speedy and a 100% recovery, but I'll settle for the kid just being alive.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Zach-Redmond-300x167.jpg

We have updated the Redmond post to include the Jets statement regarding the surgery. We also have coach Noel's comment (audio) following practice.

For above click here.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
On TSN 1290 this morning Munzy said this injury will prob cost him the season :(

Heard that too. Really feel bad for Redmond. Just gets up to the NHL and was playing pretty good. Hopefully this doesn't affect him long term and he can play for us again next year (if he's out for this season).

I've heard Munzy talk about this twice now on the radio (yesterday and this morning). You could just hear from the tone of his voice and what he was saying about the fear and urgency, as well as the amount of blood on the ice that this would have been a very scary thing.

Big kudos to Peluso, who Munz said grabbed Redmonds wound with his bare hands and held it as tight as he could.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Such a shame if Redmond does indeed miss the remainder of the season. All the best to him, he'll be a Jet next season, no doubt in my mind. He is primed and he'll be 25 this July.

Heard that too. Really feel bad for Redmond. Just gets up to the NHL and was playing pretty good. Hopefully this doesn't affect him long term and he can play for us again next year (if he's out for this season).

I've heard Munzy talk about this twice now on the radio (yesterday and this morning). You could just hear from the tone of his voice and what he was saying about the fear and urgency, as well as the amount of blood on the ice that this would have been a very scary thing.

Big kudos to Peluso, who Munz said grabbed Redmonds wound with his bare hands and held it as tight as he could.

Wow, props to Peluso for doing that. In this day and age that just isn't always the case.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I never again want to hear about Peluso doing nothing for this team. ;)

Seriously though, that's amazing. I mentioned this on the main board thread, had there been no trainers on site and the player were to panic (eg. try and rush Zach to the dressing room without putting pressure on the gash), he could've very well died.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I never again want to hear about Peluso doing nothing for this team. ;)

Seriously though, that's amazing. I mentioned this on the main board thread, had there been no trainers on site and the player were to panic (eg. try and rush Zach to the dressing room without putting pressure on the gash), he could've very well died.

Yup. The femoral artery is basically the 401 of the leg. He's god damn lucky that there were even headed people there.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Saw Redmond at the prospects camp and he was chatting with anyone and everyone. Very polite and engaging. He is a great guy, from what I saw and heard, so to hear he is doing ok is absolutely great news.

He's shown that he can play in the NHL. I hope he has a full recovery and is able to pick up where he left off. If that takes to next fall, that's fine with me. Get well soon Zach, you look great in jets colors.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia

I think it was Peluso's skate too, so you have to be wondering what's going on in his head during all of this... and after.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Here's hoping that Redmond recovers both physically and mentally and we see him back full time next season.

This reminds me of the Clint Malarchuk incident. Fast reactions by the trainers saved his life as well and he physically recovered. But, Malarchuk never recovered as a player. He had a whole set of issues after this event. His game suffered and he just couldn't play anymore.

Each person is going to react differently to something like this happening to them, so again, here's hoping for the best.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I thought he was battling with Mittens in that drill, but if Peluso was the first one there, then...

That's one thing that the media has absolutely done right in this situation. They know who caused the cut, but won't mention him. The coaching staff also knows, but they won't mention him either. How many pictures and video do we have? None, that's the way it should be.

Lots of people handled this situation correctly IMO.

Curt in WPG

Sep 8, 2011
Winnipeg
In 95, I think it was the Jets season opener after the first lockout, the Jets were playing Anaheim. Keith Tkachuk collided with a Duck right in front of the benches and both players went down. I was excuited because, well, Tkachuk was crazy in those days and I thought there would be a fight. The Duck player got up and then fell to his knees. Keith's skate had cut his wrist. Blood squirted out about 10 feet, going every where and there was a collective "Aaaaahhhh" from the crowd. They ran him right into the Jets dressing room - I forget his name but he was out for over a year with nerve damage. The spent about 10 minutes cleaning the blood off the ice and boards. The game was a real downer after that, you could tell the players on both teams did not want to be out there after what had happened. Made me sick to my stomach to see it live.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ed Tait#NHLJets athletic therapist Rob Mallette said Zach Redmond lost at least a litre of blood. Credited staff. Redmond in good spirits today #bnReply*

Whew. How many quarts of blood does a person have?

*@WFPEdTait: #NHLJets athletic therapist just spoke to media about Zach Redmond accident. His season is done. Will be in hospital for a wk #bnReply*

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Redmond done for year

Ed Tait ‏@WFPEdTait

#NHLJets athletic therapist just spoke to media about Zach Redmond accident. His season is done. Will be in hospital for a wk #bn

Incredible

Ed Tait ‏@WFPEdTait

#NHLJets athletic therapist Rob Mallette said Zach Redmond lost at least a litre of blood. Credited staff. Redmond in good spirits today #bn

Ed Tait ‏@WFPEdTait

#NHLJets athletic therapist Rob Mallette said Asst coach Perry Pearn's jacket was used as a tourniquet and Anthony Peluso helped w wound #bn

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
That's one thing that the media has absolutely done right in this situation. They know who caused the cut, but won't mention him. The coaching staff also knows, but they won't mention him either. How many pictures and video do we have? None, that's the way it should be.

Lots of people handled this situation correctly IMO.

Yep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad