Injury Report: Redmond taken to hospital after skate cut - [UPDATE]: Out for season

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Good news is, Noel says he will be fine. That suggests that he didn't have any tendons cut. It will just be a matter of keeping it from getting infected or opening up again, I guess he will be out for a couple of weeks (purely guessing, no idea how deep the cut is)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Apparently Redmond had to have surgery, hope everything works out for him.

passnthru

Dec 5, 2011
Noel must be in a bit of shock as well. He actually detailed the injury as more than "lower body."
Best to Redmond

Roooski

Sep 21, 2011
Sounded scary especially if surgery is needed. Hoping him a speedy and healthy recovery.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Scott Norton ‏@NortonSports

Brief update - #Jets #NSM client @ZachRedmond24 is out of surgery + stable in recover room. Thx for great work done by #Raleigh doctors!

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Great news. What a day for Redmond. Here's hoping for a speedy and successful recovery. The kid was really making way at the NHL level.

CZ

Jan 6, 2013
Maybe the league and PA can come to some realization that these kevlar protective socks need to be made mandatory when players are on the ice. Hopefully in the end Redmond will have a full recovery.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Maybe the league and PA can come to some realization that these kevlar protective socks need to be made mandatory when players are on the ice. Hopefully in the end Redmond will have a full recovery.

He was wearing them, apparently. Cut was on the backside, above the knee.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What's the timeline for an injury like this? Appears a vein was cut but no ligaments, tendons, anything else?

I would think if he avoided ligaments, tendons, etc, he could be back as soon as the wound healed and the stitches were out. But I'm not a doctor, nor payed one on TV.

Who knows though. With the way TNSE reports injuries we might not get any news. Heck, They could keep Enstrom as "day to day" for the rest of the season, and then we would find out that they amputated his arm the night of the injury.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
He was wearing them, apparently. Cut was on the backside, above the knee.
If that is true, there are some big blood vessels in that area, both veins and arteries (you can sometimes feel your own pulse in the hollow behind your knee). It can take a while to recover from the tissue damage and the blood loss, as no one wants a blood transfusion unless it's absolutely necessary, these days.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If that is true, there are some big blood vessels in that area, both veins and arteries (you can sometimes feel your own pulse in the hollow behind your knee). It can take a while to recover from the tissue damage and the blood loss, as no one wants a blood transfusion unless it's absolutely necessary, these days.

That probably explains the large amount of blood on the ice. :( Poor dude - hope he recovers 100%

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Yikes, that's frightening. A lacerated femoral artery can be life-threatening if it's not treated immediately, we're talking about massive blood loss within minutes. For those of you who follow the NFL, that's the exact injury that Sean Taylor died of, albeit from a gunshot wound.

Glad to hear Zach is doing ok. Great job by the Jets training staff and their players (apparently it was Mittens and Peluso) of not panicking and getting pressure on it immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad