GDT: Red Wings @ Vegas Golden Knights| 10:30 EST | FSD

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I still have no idea what people saw in Vegas' roster during the summer when talking about how they might not be that bad or could even be better than us. They are garbage. Neal and Fleury will only get them so far. If/when injuries hit them their depth will deplete so fast. Even without injuries I doubt they win 3 games in a row again this season.

Honestly I always took it as "they might not be dead last in the league by a country mile" like most expansion teams.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
As nice as it was to see that 3rd period...this was against a bad Vegas team. So many turnovers. That game against Dallas was more like how this team really looks.

Nonetheless, nice to see Zetterberg feast a bit and I'm excited for Mantha.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Untitled.jpg

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
With some games played I think it's fair to say this team could end up on the playoff bubble, prejudicated on Zetterberg and Howard being healthy. Largely because of the weak division. Does anyone really have a feel for any team in this division?

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Daley is a life saver. If we did not have him eating 23+ minutes a night stabilizing this defense I have a feeling our record would not be what it is.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
With some games played I think it's fair to say this team could end up on the playoff bubble, prejudicated on Zetterberg and Howard being healthy. Largely because of the weak division. Does anyone really have a feel for any team in this division?

still very early but toronto and tampa are locks to be in the top 3 imo baring injuries of course. the rest of the division looks pretty much up in the air.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Don't get too too excited, though. This team is not good defensively, and that'll become a bigger and bigger problem as the season wears on. They have a hard time keeping mediocre offensive teams off of the board. Their offense is clicking right now, but it basically has to. The moment it's not, they're in trouble.

The games so far have been more wide-open than I was expecting to see, too. I don't think that lasts all year. We'll be back to neutral zone chess in no time.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
What happened to bins questions thread? We finally have something interesting to talk about around here and now its gone...

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
after rewatching the highlights from last nights game I must say, the jenson-ouellet pair is awful. Both of them are barely NHL defenseman.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I like Tampa and Toronto has sure things.
I see Boston as pretty strong once Bergeron back.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Honestly I always took it as "they might not be dead last in the league by a country mile" like most expansion teams.

The talk about them being as good/better than the Wings was contingent of them actually keeping all the players they could potentially draft. But, wisely, they unloaded some of them for future assets or accepted offers to forego selecting players.

Their blueline would look much better with Methot (2nd round pick), Emelin (3rd round pick), and van Riemsdyk (2nd round pick).

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

I think Toronto, Tampa, Boston and Ottawa will all be ahead of Detroit by season's end. I'm not 100% sold that Montreal doesn't eventually turn it around at some point, either.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Looks like Fleury was concussed on that play where Mantha was pushed into him.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1398524-golden-knights-fleury-out-with-concussion

Malcom Subban starting against Boston. Vegas may be wishing they grabbed Mrazek very soon.

Mantha circled back and looked like he was asking Fleury if he was OK. It was a nice gesture and shows he knew he clocked him hard. The announcers were wondering why the concussion spotters were letting him play.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Pushed into him? Mantha barreled across the crease at 25 MPH with little intention of avoiding contact. Sbisa didn't help the situation but still a reckless play. I get going hard to the net but Mantha doesn't have the coordination to move his feet out of the way in close like that. Fleury's head snapping back was sickening. I'm seeing way too many teams carelessly jamming the goaltenders already this season, the league needs to keep an eye on it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Pushed into him? Mantha barreled across the crease at 25 MPH with little intention of avoiding contact. Sbisa didn't help the situation but still a reckless play. I get going hard to the net but Mantha doesn't have the coordination to move his feet out of the way in close like that. Fleury's head snapping back was sickening. I'm seeing way too many teams carelessly jamming the goaltenders already this season, the league needs to keep an eye on it.
He got shoved, if he wasn't shoved he wouldn't have made contact.

Mantha is plenty coordinated

Reactions: waltdetroit

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

IMO it's pretty unfair to blame Mantha on this one. He almost certainly would have avoided contract completely if not for the push. Furthermore the contact was made with his knee on Fleury's head who made a poke-check, moving down and forward to do so. Normally a poke-check would be relatively safe with the angle Mantha was taking but he got moved off his line and as a result Fleury misread the play and endangered himself.

Mantha's leg was extended like that because he's trying to push back, convert his forward momentum into horizontal and avoid contact while allowing himself to maneuver around Fleury for a good shot. He likely would have been able to stop moving forward and open himself up (as a scorer would want to in that situation as it gives you better puck-handling options for beating the goalie) if not for the push. This would mean pulling his leg back into an anti-parallel stance with his other skate and moving in a crescent around the front/side of the goal. All-in-all its almost entirely Sbisa's fault IMO with Fleury being the unlucky victim of his own D's dangerous mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad