GDT: Red Wings @ Vegas Golden Knights| 10:30 EST | FSD

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He got shoved, if he wasn't shoved he wouldn't have made contact.

Mantha is plenty coordinated

OK I found the replay (12:08 2nd period). You're right the shove was more than I remembered. Sbisa is an idiot. I still say it's reckless from Mantha. In a play like that where did he expect to get to? You're supposed to make every effort to avoid a goalie. This was more like "meh, sorry I broke your neck". I understand it was an unfortunate event more than anything it just pains me to see players go down like that.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
The entire Fluery incident was just a fluke, things like that happen every once in a while. It's most likely that Mantha had zero malicious intent, Sbisa did not mean to push Manthas trajectory in to his goalie, and Fluery did not think he would take a knee to the head while going for that poke. Sometimes shit happens, that's all there is to it.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
OK I found the replay (12:08 2nd period). You're right the shove was more than I remembered. Sbisa is an idiot. I still say it's reckless from Mantha. In a play like that where did he expect to get to? You're supposed to make every effort to avoid a goalie. This was more like "meh, sorry I broke your neck". I understand it was an unfortunate event more than anything it just pains me to see players go down like that.
it's called driving the net. something that almost no wings players like to do and is a big reason why they have struggled to score in the past few years

the onus is on the defensman to not let mantha get behind him in the first place to where he is even in a position to shove him

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
it's called driving the net. something that almost no wings players like to do and is a big reason why they have struggled to score in the past few years

the onus is on the defensman to not let mantha get behind him in the first place to where he is even in a position to shove him

Exactly. And once he does get behind you, step two is not shoving him into your goaltender.

It's not like Mantha went full Kreider there. He was going hard to the net and was shoved. Definitely a bummer for Fleury and Vegas.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He was shoved right as Fleury was going for the poke/save. Wasn’t even a big shove from Sbisa but the timing ended up being perfect. And you can see in the replays that Mantha went over and said some things to Fleury. He looked genuinely concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad