GDT: Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks - 10 EST

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Yess! Tats! What a shot.

Was tipped by the d. My bad. Saw on the replay.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What game are you watching? The game where Abdelkader misses chance after chance after chance?
Where Larkin turns the puck over at midice for a breakaway?
Where Kronwall passes backwards to create a near 2-0 against?

Athanasiou isn't the first player in NHL history to leave one Sedin to go cover the other, only to have the puck go back to the other for the goal.
Welcome tot center ice in the NHL kid.

Abby had two apples tonight. Solid game for him and the Nielsen line.

Athanasiou did not have a good game, certainly not one that will win over Blashill.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Wow we actually played to win in the 3rd. Last year I would have waited for the OT and our point.

Reactions: Reddwit

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
All I know is mantha is an absolute beast by far the best player on the ice tonight

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Abby had two apples tonight. Solid game for him and the Nielsen line.

Athanasiou did not have a good game, certainly not one that will win over Blashill.
Primary apples. Thought he had a great game. The tip pass to Tatar for the GWG was genius.

Not sure what to think about this team. Goes without saying watching them win is a ton more enjoyable but losing games accomplishes more in the long run.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
What game are you watching? The game where Abdelkader misses chance after chance after chance?
Where Larkin turns the puck over at midice for a breakaway?
Where Kronwall passes backwards to create a near 2-0 against?

Athanasiou isn't the first player in NHL history to leave one Sedin to go cover the other, only to have the puck go back to the other for the goal.
Welcome tot center ice in the NHL kid.

AA has played well so far this season but he did not have a good game tonight imo. What i saw tonight was last years AA. trying to do too much himself, not using his teammates, and putting his defensive responsibilities on the backburner

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I’m not an Abdelkader apologist or even a fan of him at all but the guy has really found a nice balance between honing his skill and being a physical presence this season without taking away much from his linemates. I think the officiating restrictions might’ve given him some good direction. He’ll never be a consistently pleasant offensive force IMO but he hasn’t really been such a soul-sucking klutz anymore.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
It's not a Red Wings game unless Daley is out for at least one goal against.
He does play the most minutes on our defense along with the toughest minutes. He's being asked to play a larger role then what he's best at because we don't have anyone else that's competent. If any of our other defensemans shifts were swapped with Daleys I don't think it would be pretty.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It's not a Red Wings game unless Daley is out for at least one goal against.

Meh. Daley isn’t some defensive god by any means but he plays a ton and plays a lot with our slags so I’m not ready to complain. I’ve never considered him a safe D so I’m actually pleasantly surprised by his defensive performance.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Daley should be the last guy targeted.

He and Ericsson are actually doing decent things.

Ouellet is the severe weak link.

Nonetheless, shocked to be sitting here with this team above 0.500 after that string of losses.

Larkin has really elevated his game, likewise Mantha.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Daley should be the last guy targeted.

He and Ericsson are actually doing decent things.

Ouellet is the severe weak link.

Nonetheless, shocked to be sitting here with this team above 0.500 after that string of losses.

Larkin has really elevated his game, likewise Mantha.

About Daley, fair enough. I wrote my comment catching up on the game as VAN scored their 2nd goal. I think as Wings fans our standards have slowly declined a bit but can respect the support he's recieved.

I thought this was a fun game, it really held my attention. Another good defensive effort and great teamwork. A bystander wouldn't have known it was a b2b for Detroit we skated so well. I'm done trying to follow Blashill's lines lol. The lines don't seem to matter. Mantha was on FIRE! Howard was solid as usual.

I don't understand the AA at center experiment. I'd much rather he was flying the zone or focused purely on the net. You don't make Kessel, Hoffman, or Ryan into C's. We already have 5 players who can play there, why plug AA into that role?

Reactions: Leronziia

Powerslave

Oct 19, 2017
Upstate NY
We can't get the best out of young guns if Trashill keeps on tossing them around and changing the lines every freakin game. I don't even care at this point because it seems that we're going to finish in the limbo between a WC spot and league basement=another pick outside of top10. I hate this situation we're in now but, you know... still feels good to see them win a game. I hope that we can at least get a clear picture of young players future contracts and see them get good amount of on-ice time and see what they can do. Also, hope Green will do good till deadline so we can maybe get a decent pick for him.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
We're getting killed in the faceoff dot this year. We have the same centers as last year, minus Sheahan now. Are the new rules really killing us that much?

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Third period was our best of the game, though we did give up two goals that was mostly luck. They could and should have scored on us several times in the first two periods.

Mantha or Howard was our best player, AA the worst. Seriously Mantha drives offense like no other on our team right now.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We're getting killed in the faceoff dot this year. We have the same centers as last year, minus Sheahan now. Are the new rules really killing us that much?

Nielsen's getting killed. Z's a bit lower than what we expect from him, but Glendening is doing great and Larkin is over 50%. If we're looking to improve our team numbers with the faceoff, it's almost entirely on Nielsen, though. The guy has been awful.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was strange how the Canucks became a totally different team 4 on 4. Suddenly they were in sync.

Great game by Mantha. Overall I didn't think Larkin was as good as some other people here did. Not to say he was bad. I also didn't think AA and Tatar were that bad (even before Tatar's goal).

With AA part of it is the nature of his game. It's a highlight when he races through four guys and scores a goal. But when he tries it and it doesn't work in a tight game he looks like an idiot.

He needs to get better at reading game situations, like "I really just need to get the puck deep and try to keep it there right now" and not try and do too much himself. Both of those are very correctable with young players.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is the kind of stuff that AA needs to do consistently. Dig pucks out and just be a bull on the puck. If he did that every game... he'd be a star in this league and worth way way more than the 1.38 he's playing for right now.
I finally know what "tools but no toolbox" means when Malik says it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't even know what team this is

Honestly, we look like we could compete for a wildcard spot. Our division is bad. Besides Tampa, there are no heavyweights. Toronto thinks they are, but that team can't defend to save their lives. The Sens should be a playoff team, but after that it's wide open. We're better than Buffalo, Montreal and Florida.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
in freedmans 31 thoughts even he mentions his disappointment/frustration with Blashill not playing AA-Larkin-Mantha together anymore

Reactions: Ezekial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad