Red Wings to name Jim Hiller assistant coach today

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't understand how anlytics are going to gel with a management that is icing Dan Cleary.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They have an analytical measurement of leadership, where Cleary scores a maximum 100/100.
His intangibles are so off the charts that they're tangible.

Plus, he has the leadership to know that he's not good enough to be on the team. A player with that level of character and leadership is so valuable that you have to put him on your team. It's the Holland paradox.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Apparently Babcock reached out to Lidstrom regarding the vacant assistant job:

"It's true that he called and asked if I was interested in taking one of the spots as an assistant coach for the upcoming season. I was very proud of the offer, it was really flattering," says Lidstrom.

But...?

"We're doing well here in Sweden after the move, and the children are thriving in school, so it never occurred to me to move back now. We moved home the last year for the children to go to school here."

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...om-tells-expressen-why-he-turned-down-babcock

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Expected something like that, in case they offered him a job.
But I can't blame him for that decision.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
We'll see what kind of analytics Jim Hiller introduces in player evaluation. If its good, I like that he's in charge of the offense. Shot prevention has never been a problem, even when Lidstrom left (miraculously). Offense and shot generation have been an issue for the Wings the last two seasons.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
We'll see what kind of analytics Jim Hiller introduces in player evaluation. If its good, I like that he's in charge of the offense. Shot prevention has never been a problem, even when Lidstrom left (miraculously). Offense and shot generation have been an issue for the Wings the last two seasons.

Shot prevention probably isn't a problem because of the two-way game the Red Wings try to help their players develop. The offensive side comes secondary to management, I guess. That's why guys like Glendening, Andersson, etc. have some value to the Wings.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what Hiller can bring to the team- I hope he can help convince Babs that Abdelkader/Cleary really shouldn't probably play with Zetterberg or Datsyuk very often...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Shot prevention probably isn't a problem because of the two-way game the Red Wings try to help their players develop. The offensive side comes secondary to management, I guess. That's why guys like Glendening, Andersson, etc. have some value to the Wings.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what Hiller can bring to the team- I hope he can help convince Babs that Abdelkader/Cleary really shouldn't probably play with Zetterberg or Datsyuk very often...

well, the two way game we make our forwards play. Three quarters of our blueline is lucky to have a one way game on many nights.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Good article on the new PP, implemented by Hiller.

Hiller has implemented new schemes. His two points of emphasis are getting more bodies to the net and retrieving pucks quicker.

"We want to be aggressive at their net-front," Hiller said. "When the puck gets to their net we want to have more players than they do. We've created a lot of chances (in preseason), haven't scored enough, but to create more chances you have to get the puck back once you're there."

"So it's out-numbering at the net for your goal-scoring chances, out-numbering so we can get it back and start all over again."

"Last year I think we had all kinds of trouble," Kronwall said. "There were times when the entries didn't work. Other times the entries worked but we couldn't get a lot of motion, couldn't get pucks to the net. It was too stationary. So far, getting into the zone and creating some zone time and creating some chances has all been there."

"The ability to shift from low to high, from one side to the other, ability to have people at the net is better than it was," coach Mike Babcock said. "I like some of the new ideas. That's why you have new people."

Hiller believes they have the pieces for a successful power play – puck transporters in Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, shooters in Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist and net-front men in Johan Franzen and Riley Sheahan.

One area they're lacking is point men. The only established one is Kronwall. Last season they tried Danny DeKeyser and Jakub Kindl. Babcock said he might give Brendan Smith a shot this season.

"I think a lot of times you really have a top-heavy power play group and then the second group isn't so heavy," Hiller said. "I think the strength of this team is we're going to have two strong groups. I think we have lots of depth of scoring up front."

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
"Babcock said he MIGHT give Brendan Smith a shot [on the powerplay] this season."

He might. :rolleyes:

That's just it. We have no roles for our players. So they don't know what to do half the time. If needs to be taught then teach it. We have no definitive qb for the pp as far as I'm concerned.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I haven't seen Smith on the PP in the games I've watched.

One game that be played the point units were Sproul/Ouellet and Weiss/Jensen, and tonight the unit was Kronwall and Weiss/Dekeyser.

So for all of this talk about Smith getting a chance, they sure haven't shown it lately.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Those 6 forwards are exactly who I would want on the power play. Interesting that Weiss was not listed though, I wonder if that means he's going to be an option on point.

Also thought it was interesting that Hiller would prefer not to stack the top unit, I take that as meaning that Dats and Z would have their own unit.

Based on what he said, I envision

Franzen-Z-Nyquist

And

Tatar-Datsyuk-Sheahan

Seems like the guys on the point are TBD. Really hope Smith is one of them. I am thinking they are debating Kronwall, Weiss, Dekeyser, Smith, or Kindl????

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I haven't seen Smith on the PP in the games I've watched.

One game that be played the point units were Sproul/Ouellet and Weiss/Jensen, and tonight the unit was Kronwall and Weiss/Dekeyser.

So for all of this talk about Smith getting a chance, they sure haven't shown it lately.

Very concerning.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Of course Hiller says they have the personnel to execute an effective PP - it wouldn't be PC for him to say otherwise. But I love how the article says "Hiller thinks they have the personnel to do it" and then goes on to say "one area where they are really lacking is point men - they only have Kronwall," as though point men are some supplementary piece to the puzzle and not arguably the most important part of the powerplay.

Honestly, this has worried me since the start of last season. If the Wings do miss the playoffs, its going to be their major lack of puck-movement out of the back-end that kills them. And given that strong puck-movers are typically the same guys who are strong point men, this is a huge concern.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
"Babcock said he MIGHT give Brendan Smith a shot [on the powerplay] this season."

He might. :rolleyes:

Yeah, "he won't" is the known synonym around here.

Those 6 forwards are exactly who I would want on the power play. Interesting that Weiss was not listed though, I wonder if that means he's going to be an option on point.

Also thought it was interesting that Hiller would prefer not to stack the top unit, I take that as meaning that Dats and Z would have their own unit.

Based on what he said, I envision

Franzen-Z-Nyquist

And

Tatar-Datsyuk-Sheahan

Seems like the guys on the point are TBD. Really hope Smith is one of them. I am thinking they are debating Kronwall, Weiss, Dekeyser, Smith, or Kindl????

Guess we both agree about hoping that Smith is one of them. But I don't see him getting his chance yet. If so, that's great. Considering DeKeyser I'm not really sure:

"Last season they tried Danny DeKeyser and Jakub Kindl. Babcock said he might give Brendan Smith a shot this season."

May be overinterpreted, but no word about Babs liking the outcome of that try out. Sounds to me as if DD didn't meet Babs expectations and Smith is getting a shot. But on the other hand it's Smith we're talking about, as stated before. I don't really see him getting the chance on the PP yet... Considering that he didn't seem to be satisfied with Kindl either (taking for granted that I understand the quote above right), that leaves us with Weiss. But when Kronwall and Weiss get one spot on each of the PP units, two spots remain to be filled. And that's what confuses me, considering the stuff I've said above. May it indeed be that we're lucky enough seeing Smith to replace Kindl on the 2nd PP unit and DD stays on the 1st one?

Of course Hiller says they have the personnel to execute an effective PP - it wouldn't be PC for him to say otherwise. But I love how the article says "Hiller thinks they have the personnel to do it" and then goes on to say "one area where they are really lacking is point men - they only have Kronwall," as though point men are some supplementary piece to the puzzle and not arguably the most important part of the powerplay.

Honestly, this has worried me since the start of last season. If the Wings do miss the playoffs, its going to be their major lack of puck-movement out of the back-end that kills them. And given that strong puck-movers are typically the same guys who are strong point men, this is a huge concern.

I admit, that was the weird part of the article. And I get your concerns about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad