Red Wings to name Jim Hiller assistant coach today

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
According to Malik, Jim Hiller will be introduced as an assistant/video coach today:

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-midnight-report-little-birdie

He's an analytics guy too, and developed an analytics program for player evaluation.

I'm the head of our QA department for a Fortune 500 company and have regression tested the program. I found one major defect. If a player from the age of 34-35 that once wore number 11 and switched to 71 his positive stats would sky rocket and negative stats would become nonexistent.

Explains the hire. Of course the above is completely untrue. I'm not the head of the department. :)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
One of the good ol' boys from the glory days of Northern Michigan University.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
in the late 90s in the DEL we were all convinced that hiller suffers from mad cow disease. but i guess he survived. :laugh:

excellent player, but way too emotional and quite easy to take out of game. i remember him fighting 3 guys during the same stoppage and completely losing his mind.

i hope he's a bit smarter as coach. ;)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 1 min
Mike Babcock brings video coach Andrew Brewer to #RedWings from #HockeyCanada. Detroit also hires Jim Hiller as assistant.

So this will be it:

Head coach: Mike Babcock
Assistant: Tony Granato
Assistant: Jim Hiller
Video coach: Andrew Berner

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
in the late 90s in the DEL we were all convinced that hiller suffers from mad cow disease. but i guess he survived. :laugh:

excellent player, but way too emotional and quite easy to take out of game. i remember him fighting 3 guys during the same stoppage and completely losing his mind.

i hope he's a bit smarter as coach. ;)

I have heard some amazing stories coming from the German Hockey leagues hahah.

I have a friend who played out there in DEL2 for the Fischtown Pinguins. After every time they won the entire team would go out on the ice and do some sort of conga line victory dance. So bizarre

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 3 min
Babcock told me last week he wants to hire guys who are going to be NHL head coaches. Pretty good track record (MacLean, McLellan, Peters).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So did we hire two video coaches? Or is one of these guys going to be doing Renney/Peters old job?

Very confusing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So did we hire two video coaches? Or is one of these guys going to be doing Renney/Peters old job?

Very confusing.

It's pretty clear Hiller is the "real" assistant with a longer reputation to replace Peters.

And Brewer is just a young 28-year old "kid" to replace McKittrick on that much minor video coaching role.

Granato replaced Renney.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's pretty clear Hiller is the "real" assistant with a longer reputation to replace Peters.

And Brewer is just a young 28-year old "kid" to replace McKittrick on that much minor video coaching role.

Granato replaced Renney.

Wasn't clear for me, but thank you.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Granato replaced Renney.

Thought they said Granato was working with the defensemen and PK unit? Which would be Peters' old job.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Thought they said Granato was working with the defensemen and PK unit? Which would be Peters' old job.

They had some weird system at the Penguins. Different than us.

Like we have had for years a basic structure: Assistant for forward lines+PP (like Barry Smith, Todd McLellan, Tom Renney) and another assistant for defence+PK (like Dave Lewis, Brad McCrimmon, Bill Peters)

At Pittsburgh, Granato was in charge of their PK and forward lines. Todd Reirden had defence and the PP. That's why Matt Niskanen wanted to go to Capitals, because Reirden went there, and Nisky shined under him especially on ES and PP Reirden was responsible.

According to MLive.com’s Brendan Savage, Granato was initially hired to oversee the Red Wings defense and penalty kill. However, with the recent departure of Renney, that may change.

So pretty much the situation is open. hopefully they'll get a good mix.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@HeleneStJames
Jim Hiller, new #RedWings assistant coach, says he'll be focused "on forwards & offensive stuff." That'd leave D & PK for Tony Granato.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Can anyone tell me something about Brewer? Is it an upgrade to McKittrick?

Don't know about an upgrade, but a young guy with maybe a different approach than some old dinosaurs.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/a-bit-about-the-red-wings-new-video-coordinator-andrew-brewer

@HeleneStJames
Jim Hiller, new #RedWings assistant coach, says he'll be focused "on forwards & offensive stuff." That'd leave D & PK for Tony Granato.

Ok, so that's clear now.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I like having an anlytics guy on staff working with the lineup. If Babcock listens, then Cleary won't play, Glendening would be attached to Helm's hip playing 4th line minutes on the wing and Smith would probably be on the top pairing with Kronwall while Quincey and Dekeyser compete to play with Ericsson on the second pairing. Sheahan and Tatar could also get increased responsibility on the second line to lessen the defensive load on Weiss and Franzen and make things easier for them.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I like having an anlytics guy on staff working with the lineup. If Babcock listens, then Cleary won't play, Glendening would be attached to Helm's hip playing 4th line minutes on the wing and Smith would probably be on the top pairing with Kronwall while Quincey and Dekeyser compete to play with Ericsson on the second pairing. Sheahan and Tatar could also get increased responsibility on the second line to lessen the defensive load on Weiss and Franzen and make things easier for them.

Babcock/Holland have talked about analytics before. They like them, but they don't replace their own judgment with them. If just watching Cleary and looking at his basic stats wasn't enough, I don't see how analytics would make a difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad