Red Wings Stanley Cup Championship Roster in 2018

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I like Pavel as much as the next fan but I think when this deal is up he heads home...and it might be best for the Wings given the money they have tied up in certain players.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think Datsyuk will at least resign for 1 more year the 2017/18 season to play in the new arena i could see that as a possibility and then maybe hang up his skates here and go back to Russia.

I think he will to reach 1000 points and get his number up in the rafters 2 seasons and he might need under 90 points? Easy

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
????? - Larkin - Mantha
Tatar - Athanasiou - ?????
Bertuzzi - Sheahan - Dano
????? - ???????? - Roman Reigns

????? - Dekeyser
????? - Sproul
Oulett - Marchenko

Mrazek
??????

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think Datsyuk will at least resign for 1 more year the 2017/18 season to play in the new arena i could see that as a possibility and then maybe hang up his skates here and go back to Russia.

I could see him resigning.

I know its more than a year away, but I wonder what the cost would be? 5-6 million get it done?

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I love the way our forward future is going with the youth but geez that D won't get us anywhere.

We do need big bodies in the top 6. I'd love to see Bertuzzi in there somewhere as well as Holmstrom.

Interesting I don't see Pulkks in the rosters above if I'm not mistaken.

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
People need to realize that Pulkkinen is good. Like he is very good. I don't think we will be a cup team in 2018, however. Maybe 2019 or 2020.

mantha - larkin - pulkkinen
tatar - athanasiou - nyquist
abdelkader - sheahan - svechnikov
bertuzzi - holmstrom - callahan

SMITH - green
oulette - sproul
dekeyser - marchenko

Also, smith is terribly underrated and it makes me sad.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
People need to realize that Pulkkinen is good. Like he is very good. I don't think we will be a cup team in 2018, however. Maybe 2019 or 2020.

SMITH - green
oulette - sproul
dekeyser - marchenko

Pulk would be amazing if the net was moved three feet to the right and two feet above the ice.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

SMITH - green
oulette - sproul
dekeyser - marchenko

If we ever win a Cup with that defense, then a round of drinks on me for everyone on this board.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
It's one thing to claim that Smith is underrated - he clearly is -, overrating him as being a #1-Dman is another.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If we ever win a Cup with that defense, then a round of drinks on me for everyone on this board.

If that's the defense we better have an offense that can score 5+ goals a game. But if that is the case it will be a lot more entertaining than the snoozefest this season has been.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
People really think Zetterberg is going to be gone?

They shouldn't.

Zetterberg kind of sucks and he still leads the team in points.

Yzerman was basically an invalid and he put up 50 points before suffering through a lockout and putting up ~35 points in ~65 games. That's basically what I expect will happen to Zetterberg: He'll be grossly overpaid, but he'll still be a top 9 offensive supplement/option. I think he'll play out his whole contract.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Almost think Russo has a better shot of making it as a middle pair guy than Sproul, at this point.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Forwards

Mantha - Larkin - ?
AA - Svechnikov - ?
Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist
Abdelkader - Glendening - Jurco

Defense
? - DD
Kronwall - Green
Quincey - Marchenko

Goaltenders
Mrazek
Howard

Are we on the way up or down?

Too many or manageable holes?

2018 Stanley Cup Champions?

What do you guys think?

Ok, so Tatar and Nyquist are going to be 3rd liners at 27 and 28 years of age? When a lot of secondary players have their best years? Poor guys.

And by the same token, Svech, Athanasiou, and Mantha are all going to be ~50 point players within 2 years? :laugh:

That defense is horrid.

This is what we'll need to see happen in the next few years if we're gonna be Champs:

1. Bring in a top D from outside the organization.
2. Have 1 of Svech/Athanasiou/Mantha become bona fide top sixers.
3. Have Larkin continue his progression.
4. Have one of our D prospects make a giant leap in development
5. Trade the dead weight.
6. Figure out what the hell to do with all the middling forwards we have.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

SMITH - green
oulette - sproul
dekeyser - marchenko

If Smith is your number 1, then we will surely be in the lottery.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Is everybody giving up on Pulks? I haven't

I haven't.

Strangely, the Wings needed to be much more unhealthy up front for the Wings to give Pulkinnen a real chance. Richards missed 14 games, Datsyuk missed 15. Thats about it for the top 9. Not much, especially when you consider that Larkin essentially "took" Datsyuk's spot, bumping about 9-10 other forwards down the roster. We went from having to figure out how to incorporate Pulkkinen/Jurco into the lineup to Larkin/Jurco/Pulkkinen to Larkin/AA/Jurco/Pulkkinen.

Its kind of a mess. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad