Prospect Info: Red Wings sign college free agent RW Colin Campbell

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Funny you should mention the turnover thing, since he did just that in the game against Columbus that cost us a goal.

But on a more serious note, Emmerton is mediocre at everything and nothing about his game makes him hard to play against.

Are you talking about when he got double teamed on the wall? He could have reacted back out to the Jenner chance better a part of that is communication as he was told late while collapsing back in and the winger didn't drop down to help stress the shot and make Jenner swing the puck. Most goals in the NHL involve multiple breakdowns popular to contrary belief around these parts. For the most part even though Emmerton never came with the offense his junior pedigree predicted, he is a very reliable player on the pk and at keeping the puck out of his net. Probably not enough to keep him in the league much longer, but he isn't terrible at taking care of his own end and keeping the puck out of his net.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Campbell's contract begins in 14-15 but he signed an ATO with GR so I guess he'll join them soon.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A part of why Emmerton gets a lot of heat is as a center he is pretty abysmal on the draw. I know that used to frustrate me a great deal, Emmerton is a fairly good pk guy so that difference with Miller isn't as huge as a lot of people talk about. Doesn't really matter right now we don't play our best pk guy in the entire organization in my opinion in Riley Sheahan. Babcock has a certain level of trust with Miller and he is above average in terms of the pk no doubt, does a good job of getting in lanes and using his long stick, he also gets dominated a lot in scrums and board battles in terms of the pk which isn't brought up a lot.

Even with our goalies struggling and some interesting D-man out there we are pretty good on the pk in part because we have so many options up front on the pk. As the injuries pile up we have seen tons of guys used on it and even some that are good at it that don't necessarily get that trust just yet, it is nice that they can all do it, but it hurts some of the value. Now a complete inability to do it like Tootoo is a different story but in terms of inflating Miller's value I think this gets out of hand at times.

I am glad Miller has had a strong year on the pk, his five on five play leaves something to be desired and ultimately he is another expendable part. Not one we have to move or anything but not one we should really care about if he was gone tomorrow, hence expendable.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Campbell is a sturdy 6’1”, 203-pound power forward who is especially strong on the puck. One attribute that has gotten the attention of scouts is Campbell’s sheer strength. Simply put, he’s very difficult to move off of the puck. Campbell uses his powerful frame and tenacity advantageously along the walls and in front of the net, and is also very good cycling the puck. Many of Campbell’s goals aren’t of the pretty variety, but instead come as a result of hard work and relentless battles for loose pucks. He also uses his strength effectively in protecting the puck and maintaining possession. His strength, great play in tight areas and physicality allow him to excel in the muck-and-grind game

Sound like another Glendening clone?

So wait. Our 7th center isn't very good?

I see what you did there.:D

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Abdelkader might not have turned out like some have hoped though he does continue to improve. In any event this is just another in a long line of posts that show a total misunderstanding of what Abdelkader was at the lower levels of hockey. If you watched him play you know he was one of the best players in the NCAA before turning pro then way above average in the AHL, seriously Abdelkader's scoring at the AHL level was not far off Tatar's scoring.

Like the depth and his ability to help in GR quickly. Better than Abdelkader is pretty bold and way too much praise at this point in his development.

Hope it works out, nothing lost if it doesn't, always nice to have power forward projects.

I watched Abby for two years at MSU. Honestly, I didn't think he had the speed or quickness to play in the NHL.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Sound like another Glendening clone?

I see what you did there.:D

Glendening may be feisty, but no one in their right mind would laud him for his "sheer strength." It sounds like Campbell's strength on its own is what is getting scouts attention. It must be something special...just doesn't sound like much else about Campbell is.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Well he picked the right team to sign with. At the rate the Wings are dropping he'll be playing on the 3rd line by next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad