Prospect Info: Red Wings sign college free agent RW Colin Campbell

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Kind of an out of the blue signing, but he looks like a better Abdelkader.

Colin Campbell, RW
Senior, Lake Superior State University (WCHA)

Despite a lack of prospects on their rosters in recent years, NHL teams have continually kept a close eye on Lake Superior State. At the end of last season, the Lakers saw Kellen Lain and Buddy Robinson sign with the Vancouver Canucks and the Ottawa Senators, respectively. This season, one Lake Superior State player that NHL teams are watching closely is Colin Campbell.

After missing much of his junior campaign last season due to injury, Campbell has bounced back and been an impact player this season. The Pickering, ON native ranks second on the team with 29 points (14 goals, 15 assists) in 36 games to date. His 14 goals and three game-winners both lead Lake Superior State.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-sign-college-free-agent-colin-campbell

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Decent stats, really strong from what I've read. Plays a power forward game

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Come to think of it, I think this is a move for GR more than anything. The cupboard down there is looking a bit bare these last few weeks.

Edit: and THIS sounds great to me:

Campbell is a sturdy 6’1”, 203-pound power forward who is especially strong on the puck. One attribute that has gotten the attention of scouts is Campbell’s sheer strength. Simply put, he’s very difficult to move off of the puck. Campbell uses his powerful frame and tenacity advantageously along the walls and in front of the net, and is also very good cycling the puck. Many of Campbell’s goals aren’t of the pretty variety, but instead come as a result of hard work and relentless battles for loose pucks. He also uses his strength effectively in protecting the puck and maintaining possession. His strength, great play in tight areas and physicality allow him to excel in the muck-and-grind game.

I've been thinking past weeks that the thing the Wings sorely need right now is an effective checking unit. I think this guy along with Nastasiuk might give them a group of players who bring toughness, physicality, and a bit of skill. Not fighting toughness, of course, but hitting and cycling and playing down low.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kind of an out of the blue signing, but he looks like a better Abdelkader.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-sign-college-free-agent-colin-campbell

Abdelkader might not have turned out like some have hoped though he does continue to improve. In any event this is just another in a long line of posts that show a total misunderstanding of what Abdelkader was at the lower levels of hockey. If you watched him play you know he was one of the best players in the NCAA before turning pro then way above average in the AHL, seriously Abdelkader's scoring at the AHL level was not far off Tatar's scoring.

Like the depth and his ability to help in GR quickly. Better than Abdelkader is pretty bold and way too much praise at this point in his development.

Hope it works out, nothing lost if it doesn't, always nice to have power forward projects.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hmm, interesting. Never heard of him, and there isn't much info out there on him to really make an educated opinion on the signing. Based on his stats though, looks like it could be a good acquisition for GR, and who knows where he goes from there.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
In the Sault we always call LSSU just Lake State, but everywhere else calls it Lake Superior State. That's always been odd to me. This kid should help the Griffins out though, they're getting thin.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Come to think of it, I think this is a move for GR more than anything. The cupboard down there is looking a bit bare these last few weeks.

Edit: and THIS sounds great to me:

I've been thinking past weeks that the thing the Wings sorely need right now is an effective checking unit. I think this guy along with Nastasiuk might give them a group of players who bring toughness, physicality, and a bit of skill. Not fighting toughness, of course, but hitting and cycling and playing down low.

I would much rather see a guy like this on the 4th line than a plug like Emmerton.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Whyyyyy does everyone hate Emmerton so much?

Yeah he's not our most talented guy but he goes out there and does 4th line work for us and isn't a turnover machine.

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
Guess he becomes the pick we gave away for legwand ... Still gave away jarnkrok so Kenny needs to sign another NCAA player lol

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I went to UM, we always referred to LSSU as Lake State.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Whyyyyy does everyone hate Emmerton so much?

Yeah he's not our most talented guy but he goes out there and does 4th line work for us and isn't a turnover machine.

Funny you should mention the turnover thing, since he did just that in the game against Columbus that cost us a goal.

But on a more serious note, Emmerton is mediocre at everything and nothing about his game makes him hard to play against.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Isn't he one of the top college free agents of this year though?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Isn't he one of the top college free agents of this year though?

He's a top free agent in the way that Clarkson was a top NHL free agent last year. He seems to be attracting interest based on his intangibles and physical attributes - much less his skillset. He looks like a far cry from Ryan Haggerty and Greg Carey, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad