GDT: Red Wings @ Sabres - 7:30 EST

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In my opinion, the only way we see anything change in the immediate future (next season or two) is if there's a completely unanticipated breakout by a young player. We're talking 5th round Jamie Benn turns into an MVP type surprise.

Alternatively, new coach and shake-up of a few roster players.

We've seen this team. We know what they bring. We have hundreds of games with these guys leading the way. Plugging in Daley doesn't change that. All of that said, I'm still terrified they hit a win streak and find themselves fighting on the bubble again. Yes, I know, terrified of winning. But damn, I can't watch this team talk about how close they were again. Sometimes you need to fall, and hard, so you can learn how to pick yourself back up. If last year wasn't the message, send another.

I haven't expected a quick turn around, but I thought (and still think) this team has more in it than it's shown the past couple of games. It's one thing to play hard and lose, it's another to basically roll over and allow someone to kick the snot out of you. At some point shaking up a few roster players is going to become a necessity just to change the dynamics in that locker room a bit.

Problem is how do you move guys like Gator, Helm, and Nielsen?

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
This team is poorly constructed and the public narrative surrounding it finally reflects that. Anyone expecting the compete level to be up to par every night for this team is in for a major disappointment. I'd bet my life that none of us on this board gives 100% at our jobs 100% of the time so I don't really understand the frustration with an organization comprised of human beings struggling to do so themselves. Especially when the net result of a losing effort is a net gain in the long run.

I don't expect them to win a lot of games, but I would be happy if they at least showed they cared enough by battling hard. Just as an example... I would be happy if Mantha started to trend upwards in his work ethic shift after shift.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Hate to see them not get the handle problems that started against the Canucks, or actually at the end of the 3rd period against the capitals. Although, at this point, it's actually a five-game losing streak, even though the Canucks game stands out.

Howard stood his ground. Defensively they show some lack of experience among forwards and defenders, which a lot of people have pointed out. They only have one goal through the last two games, though.

I suppose when Athenasiou returns, they'll be forced to reevaluate line combos, and it couldn't come a minute too soon.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't understand what these last two games have been.

Worst Red Wings hockey I've ever witnessed.

Are the players buthurt when a bad player got a free ticket to the contender? Or WTF?

Hmm. I kinda wondered something else. I was wondering if they are maybe offended by Athanasiou's contract standoff, and resent sending away someone who they liked to make room for Andreas, who might seem like he doesn't really care about being a part of the team, and has a big head.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hmm. I kinda wondered something else. I was wondering if they are maybe offended by Athanasiou's contract standoff, and resent sending away someone who they liked to make room for Andreas, who might seem like he doesn't really care about being a part of the team, and has a big head.

You're way overthinking it. This team is performing at exactly the same level as last year. And the year before. Bubble team or worse with a negative goal differential. They haven't had a positive goal differential the last 2 years. They've only had 1 season in the positive out of the last 4. Five if this season holds up.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Tough to watch that game. I hope we don't have a ton more of those, something tells me we do...

This team just cannot string together passes, it is really hard to watch.
Was listening on the radio and they talked about the lack of ability to pass. I swear they blamed everything in the world from equipment to the change rules regarding the red line as to why the team doesn't pass like they did in years prior. Either these guys are completely oblivious to the difference in talent level of the roster from years past or just afraid to lose their jobs by stating the obvious.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You're way overthinking it. This team is performing at exactly the same level as last year. And the year before. Bubble team or worse with a negative goal differential. They haven't had a positive goal differential the last 2 years. They've only had 1 season in the positive out of the last 4. Five if this season holds up.
Agreed. The straightforward explanation is usually the most likely. Or, in the words of Doctor Perry Cox:

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Just look at that Vegas team. Guys are motivated (lot of 1-year contracts) + the coach is great (Gallant).

Also mostly everybody is a great skater, when you had an exceptional chance to pick a good skater from every team. Relentless forecheking pressure all the time, and easy to just skate out from own zone. That's the player type we need. Size with skating.

Toronto and Dallas are build on same mold. They are dominating scoring chance data at this season.
Toronto and Dallas have premier talent.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know you are just joking around but.. I theorize Franzen is not doing well overall. He likely continues to have many problems.

That's actually the saddest thing. Not being a bad team. Bad and boring teams I can live with. But that one of our warriors has damaged his quality of life to a level you have to wonder if the millions of dollars was worth it. I have this love/hate with sports when it comes to all the information coming out regarding CTE. When it's bad knees or a bum shoulder, sure, you expect that. It's the price you pay. But chronic migraines, fatigue, and personality changes? Ugh. Puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That's actually the saddest thing. Not being a bad team. Bad and boring teams I can live with. But that one of our warriors has damaged his quality of life to a level you have to wonder if the millions of dollars was worth it. I have this love/hate with sports when it comes to all the information coming out regarding CTE. When it's bad knees or a bum shoulder, sure, you expect that. It's the price you pay. But chronic migraines, fatigue, and personality changes? Ugh. Puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Same. I used to love highlight videos of huge hits in hockey and football. I just can't enjoy that anymore. The junior seau (sp?) saga really changed things for me.

Oct 18, 2006
So this is how the team responds after a heated Blashill meeting? Laughable stuff. Blowing up at the team, showing a clip of the standings, the guy is a joke. The players obviously have no desire or passion playing for him. The team is really average, but he still needs to go.

But I want to tank. So I'm torn. He's clearly the main for that job.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
So this is how the team responds after a heated Blashill meeting? Laughable stuff. Blowing up at the team, showing a clip of the standings, the guy is a joke. The players obviously have no desire or passion playing for him. The team is really average, but he still needs to go.

But I want to tank. So I'm torn. He's clearly the main for that job.
Not defending blash here but it could also be that our players just don’t care about trying hard

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Nothing to do with heart. Our team has no talent or skill. This lineup would barely make a 3rd or 4th line on most teams. Why do you think Vegas took our one AHL player on the expansion list? Haha

Count me as another viewer who believes the problem is talent. The guys are trying so hard, if anything not to have to hear Blashill for a day! Think about Frk, Ouellet, Jensen, Tatar, Larkin, Mantha, Gus, etc. man they are humble and grateful, they have the best intentions. This has been argued to death- talent overrides work ethic (and yes I know they go hand in hand).

Helm and Abdelkader trying harder changes nothing. Can Nielsen, who's a year older and looking more frail do much more than what we see? Ericsson doesn't want to embarrass himself. You don't think Kronwall has heart? Kronner will always be a warrior but his body can't keep up anymore.

Buffalo was desperate for a win at home. We're going to see other teams who're desperate for points and view the Wings as a must-win game. I still think a lot of teams let up on us near the end of last season and depending on the circumstances we may not be shown the same charity. Look at the next 3 games: the Bolts hate Detroit, Panthers badly want points, and Arizona has yet to win a game. We'll need a lot more than "effort level" to win these.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Not defending blash here but it could also be that our players just don’t care about trying hard

Has Tortorella worn out his welcome with the CBJ yet? I know he doesn't have a long shelf life but I think he is exactly what this team needs. A no BS coach that will bench people if they're under performing, player accountability.

Wait so this Nielsen guy only won 17% of his face-offs..?
These enforced face-off rules really got to him

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Has Tortorella worn out his welcome with the CBJ yet? I know he doesn't have a long shelf life but I think he is exactly what this team needs. A no BS coach that will bench people if they're under performing, player accountability.

These enforced face-off rules really got to him

I’m saying no coach can help them maybe they just don’t care at all. Obviously it’s pretty unlikely but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ericsson and some others are just playing just to get an paycheck

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I haven't expected a quick turn around, but I thought (and still think) this team has more in it than it's shown the past couple of games. It's one thing to play hard and lose, it's another to basically roll over and allow someone to kick the snot out of you. At some point shaking up a few roster players is going to become a necessity just to change the dynamics in that locker room a bit.

Problem is how do you move guys like Gator, Helm, and Nielsen?

Montreal needs help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad